advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do you have a roof mounted hdtv antenna?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 04, 2019 09:22PM
Poll
Do you have a roof mounted TV antenna?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
42 votes were received.
Yes 14

33%
No 28

67%

Trying to figure out what to do with our coax network. Most of it is useless to us but I could see installing a roof mounted antenna. That said, I should probably fool around with the now-ordinary wall mounted ones. Family of four with one tv and its plenty. Then again, most of our tv / movie consumption is via streaming services.

Last time I used the TV was for the women's world cup. Over the air! Was well worth it.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do you have a roof mounted hdtv antenna?
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 04, 2019 09:25PM
Put ours on top of our basketball pole in the front yard since our roof is hard to reach.

Just bought an amazon Recast to get OTA live and DVR functionality. Works perfectly with a fire tv stick.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 04, 2019 09:33PM
I like an OTA, just in case the end of the world comes and it isn't being streamed anywhere.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: August 05, 2019 12:08AM
I voted no because ours is in the attic. No climbing on the roof, almost as high up, out of the elements, easy to install, easy to wire, much bigger than anything sold to stay in the room. All of our tv is ota or streaming.
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: August 05, 2019 12:27AM
We live about 40 miles from the station antennas. We installed an OTA antenna eight years ago and currently use it with a Tivo Bolt. It gets more channels than we can watch and much cheaper than cable or satellite.
Posted by: pdq
Date: August 05, 2019 12:50AM
BernDog
I voted no because ours is in the attic. No climbing on the roof, almost as high up, out of the elements, easy to install, easy to wire, much bigger than anything sold to stay in the room. All of our tv is ota or streaming.

Ditto here. And it's just an old-style non-HD rooftop antenna (only it's under the roof), with the signal carried to the TVs by plain-old (well, actually mostly quad-shielded, but I'm not sure you need that) RG6 cable.

And between that and streaming (TVPlus) we get, like 100 free channels...just like cable - half a dozen good ones, plus cat videos, old Star Trek, RiffTrax, FailArmy, and 90 more channels of @#$%&.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Posted by: ADent
Date: August 05, 2019 02:20AM
Ours is in the attic.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 05, 2019 05:24AM
Nearest station antenna is nearly 90-miles - that would involve an antenna tower. back in the days before DirecTV and cable everywhere (ie the late 80's), cost for an antenna was close to $500. I am quite sure it hasn't gotten cheaper.

So no antenna for me.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Forrest
Date: August 05, 2019 07:01AM
6 foot long bar antenna mounted in the attic.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 05, 2019 09:21AM
Our TV is by a basement window with a shade always down, so the flat antenna goes there.
Posted by: dk62
Date: August 05, 2019 12:02PM
Maybe look into Moca if wondering what to do with coax.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 05, 2019 12:33PM
Used to, at a prior residence. That house still had a 70's-vintage aerial attached to the chimney. I added an HDTV grid antenna, and together they worked great. All the transmission towers in Atlanta are on the same hill and I had good LOS to it, which of course helped a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2019 12:35PM by Will Collier.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 05, 2019 12:58PM
One in the attic feeding the upstairs Tivo.

Soon to be one chimney mounted as I move from cable to OTA on the downstairs Tivo.

Dish will install an amplified outdoor antenna for you (I will likely use them):

[www.cordcuttersnews.com]
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 05, 2019 01:51PM
Hmmm... this thread is making me rethink my plan. I had planned on mounting a rooftop VHF/UHF that has a built-in rotator with remote, but hadn't gotten around to it -- my roof is extremely tall, so it'd be a major undertaking (and very scary, I am afraid of heights!) to mount. Also with the weather around here, I'd have to wait for a reasonably cool, no precipitation day... probably not until the Fall sometime.

Now with the comments above, I'm wondering if I could get away with an attic mount instead. The problem for me is that we also have a lot of surrounding trees, which can definitely interfere with signal.

My main reason for wanting a rooftop antenna is to get PBS, which is the one station I can never seem to get ... it's a VHF rather than UHF, which seems to be part of the problem.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: BernDog
Date: August 05, 2019 04:09PM
PeterB
Hmmm... this thread is making me rethink my plan. I had planned on mounting a rooftop VHF/UHF that has a built-in rotator with remote, but hadn't gotten around to it -- my roof is extremely tall, so it'd be a major undertaking (and very scary, I am afraid of heights!) to mount. Also with the weather around here, I'd have to wait for a reasonably cool, no precipitation day... probably not until the Fall sometime.

Now with the comments above, I'm wondering if I could get away with an attic mount instead. The problem for me is that we also have a lot of surrounding trees, which can definitely interfere with signal.

My main reason for wanting a rooftop antenna is to get PBS, which is the one station I can never seem to get ... it's a VHF rather than UHF, which seems to be part of the problem.

You can look online for all the coverage tools and formulas that will tell you exactly what height, what direction to aim, and what size antenna to get. Useful tools, but when you get right down to it, you just gotta try it. Put it in the attic and see what you get. You can always still go to the roof if you need to, but if it works well enough in the attic you can stop there.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 05, 2019 04:15PM
.....some here may not have mounted anything....recently......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: fauch
Date: August 05, 2019 05:16PM
I don't even have a TV. Why should I watch what they decide to put on?
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 05, 2019 07:24PM
In the attic, connected to a Silcon Dust 4 channel network connected tuner.
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 05, 2019 08:45PM
Is there a difference ... HD non HD? I thought an antenna is an antenna?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: August 05, 2019 08:47PM
BernDog
PeterB

You can look online for all the coverage tools and formulas that will tell you exactly what height, what direction to aim, and what size antenna to get. Useful tools, but when you get right down to it, you just gotta try it. Put it in the attic and see what you get. You can always still go to the roof if you need to, but if it works well enough in the attic you can stop there.

Yup, I've looked at most of that, that's why I got the rotator. The other problem with putting it in the attic is that I'd have to wire from the attic to my bedroom and through the rest of the house, which would likely involve a fair bit of drilling (I have a half-attic -- it's only in the middle of the house), and likely result in some very unsightly wiring.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 06, 2019 02:46PM
fauch
I don't even have a TV. Why should I watch what they decide to put on?

Because you find it interesting or enjoyable. Nobody is making you watch anything here.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 07, 2019 08:49AM
Matt,

You have just one tv. Save yourself lots of bucks and get a quality indoor antenna. If it works, you're done. You can always use the coaxial for MoCa but, in this day and age of mesh network systems, I wouldn't invest in it unless your home has insurmountable issues with wifi. And, like the landline hardware, if you don't use the coaxial, just leave well enough alone. It'll just be a wallplate and isn't going to hurt anything.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 283
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018