advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What are you buying when you buy a toilet? $500 or $150, star ratings are about the same.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 07, 2019 12:51PM
n/t

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What are you buying when you buy a toilet? $500 or $150, star ratings are about the same.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 07, 2019 01:07PM
Bragging rights
Re: What are you buying when you buy a toilet? $500 or $150, star ratings are about the same.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 07, 2019 01:12PM
Some use less water which can save $ over the long run.
Date: August 07, 2019 01:15PM
mikebw

The amount of water per flush is something that is mandated by law.

1.6 gallons
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 07, 2019 01:34PM
... but some supposedly can use somewhat less than the 1.6 max.

In our last house we installed one with two buttons on the top tank. One was if you peed and the other button was the full 1.6 if you pooped.

I could never remember which button was which, and the water flow always looked the same.

So what do I look for? A freaking lever.

Oh, and always a tall bowl. Even little kids can reach the taller ones. Money well spent.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 07, 2019 01:36PM
deckeda
Oh, and always a tall bowl. Even little kids can reach the taller ones. Money well spent.

Except when they can't and your boy is peeing down the front side of the toilet. If you have little kids there is something to think about.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: August 07, 2019 01:39PM
One just allows you to flush your money at a later date.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 07, 2019 01:44PM
Mike,

That's not a problem. You get one of these:

[www.amazon.com]

Or something similar. comes in handy for potty training.

Robert
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 07, 2019 01:56PM
freeradical
mikebw

1.6 gallons

Although if you want to save water you could simply adjust the shut off level for the fill valve to something below the standard line. Experimentation will give you an idea how low you can go with your typical usage.

Or just place a brick in the tank to displace the space of some water and leave the level adjustment alone.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 07, 2019 02:00PM
GGD
Although if you want to save water you could simply adjust the shut off level for the fill valve to something below the standard line. Experimentation will give you an idea how low you can go with your typical usage.

Or just place a brick in the tank to displace the space of some water and leave the level adjustment alone.

Might work but, generally, water efficient toilets need all the water they use.

Posted by: testcase
Date: August 07, 2019 02:17PM
"I could never remember which button was which, and the water flow always looked the same"

ROTFL
Date: August 07, 2019 02:18PM
mattkime
GGD

Might work but, generally, water efficient toilets need all the water they use.

The 1.6 gallon limit when into effect 25 years ago. As the toilet designs evolved over time, there just might be some leeway in how much water they can actually function with.
Posted by: J Marston
Date: August 07, 2019 03:32PM
I have three toilets in my house, all by the same manufacturer (and with the same model name, although part numbers are different). The 1.2 gallon models are quieter and have proven less troublesome than the 1.6 gallon models. So you need to ask around (or sit around, depending).
Posted by: artie67
Date: August 07, 2019 03:44PM
Deckeda, we are very happy with the Delta (Home Depot)
#c43913 model for $129. It is a 1.28 flush and if you hold the handle down you can add a little more water when needed.
I remember the two button units in Australia in 1985, they made sense.
We bought from HDepot and new bolts and wax ring are provided. I like the newer cone/with wax unit that goes on the bottom of the base unit. It makes install really easy.

Specs- 17" height and elongated seat with smooth closing lids.
Have fun.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: August 07, 2019 05:28PM
You are in Madison aren't you? Go to the Menards on the West side and buy their "Toilet in a box" for 100 bucks, sometimes $89 on sale. Very similar to artie67's description. Everything included, two button top to save water (deckeda, small button for #1 and larger button for #2), elongated seat that is also soft close. I've used these for years without any problems. Sorry, there is no poopin' way I would spend $500 on a toilet.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: August 07, 2019 06:01PM
freeradical
mikebw

1.6 gallons

Yes, but the number of flushes necessary to get a man-size log to actually go down the flume is not. Four or more flushes of a cheap 1.6 gallon toilet to get it to do it's job is not saving water compared to just one flush of a 5 gallon toilet that does it's job right the first time, every time.

Resist the Thought Police- George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 07, 2019 06:15PM
no one has explained yet what kind of tushy-love you get for the extra $350 between the cited prices.

(Okay, maybe a phone charger and wi-fi.)
Date: August 07, 2019 06:46PM
Thrift Store Scott
freeradical
mikebw

1.6 gallons

Yes, but the number of flushes necessary to get a man-size log to actually go down the flume is not. Four or more flushes of a cheap 1.6 gallon toilet to get it to do it's job is not saving water compared to just one flush of a 5 gallon toilet that does it's job right the first time, every time.

The Al Bundy "Power Flush" model. grinning smiley

Imagine being part of the team whose job it was to decide just how much water was generally needed to get the job done.
Date: August 07, 2019 06:59PM
freeradical
Imagine being part of the team whose job it was to decide just how much water was generally needed to get the job done.

That made me wonder if Consumer Reports has a standard test for comparing toilet "performance". They do.

[www.consumerreports.org]
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 07, 2019 08:31PM
It is really amazing that you can buy a commode for $89.
Posted by: Cary
Date: August 07, 2019 08:50PM
I recommend Toto toilets. They rarely clog, use standard parts for repair, if necessary. You don't have to spend $500.

Check out Terry Love for more info.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: August 07, 2019 10:38PM
freeradical

As I recall, that's not how it went at all. California took a look around during one of their perpetual droughts, saw the thousands of lawn sprinklers artificially supporting thirsty non-native plant species in a desert environment, and said "Toilets! That's the problem! That's where all the water waste is!" and promptly drafted laws requiring that toilets use first 3.2 then 1.6 gallons per flush with not a thought in the world as to how toilet manufacturers would or even if they could actually make the things work effectively.

Since making this a law in California only would have stopped toilet sales dead in their tracks there but would have dramatically increased toilet sales in states that border California, and since saving water in general is a good idea, the California Toilet Standard was adopted nationwide... because "Toilets, yeah, that's where all the water waste is".eye rolling smileyfacepalm

Resist the Thought Police- George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2019 10:42PM by Thrift Store Scott.
Posted by: DP
Date: August 08, 2019 07:09AM
Or just place a brick in the tank

An easier solution is a half-gallon milk or juice container filled with water.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 08, 2019 12:23PM
mikebw
deckeda

Except when they can't and your boy is peeing down the front side of the toilet. If you have little kids there is something to think about.

Our kids had no problem using one of the little steps like Robert linked to. Got ours at IKEA for less than $20 and because it's not strictly a "kiddie" step you can use it for other things potentially.

But here's the thing, from my experience. If he's hitting the front or the side, that's an age/aiming issue the extra 3-4 inches of toilet height won't make worse. Your adult knees and back will thank you "every day."

Basically, have the kid sit down until he's old enough to stand and reach it ... same as if he were using a public toilet. Under the age of 3 or so he's still gonna want/need assistance regardless.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 08, 2019 09:11PM
....can one sit on the throne to ponder this....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: August 09, 2019 05:48PM
I prefer all-in-ones now and have been changing them out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 268
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018