advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
safe to charge two macbooks simultaneouly from one charger?
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: August 07, 2019 05:58PM
her serene sweetness' school bestowed upon her a 2018 mb pro with only usb-c for charging.

we also have a 2013 mb pro with magsafe2.

can both be charged at the same time, say, overnight, with a charger such as this? or do we risk burning up the charger/other issues i can't fathom? is there some minimum wattage for such a charger?

if this won't work, can someone recommend a reliable charger that'll charge both simultaneously? or am i just whistlin' dixie?

tia, y'all!

by the way, i've always thought that magsafe is one of apple's best and most sensible innovations.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: safe to charge two macbooks simultaneouly from one charger?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 07, 2019 06:14PM
Cheap Chinese chargers are fire hazards. Don't do it.

Get a power strip. Plug both into the strip using their original power adapters.

Posted by: GGD
Date: August 07, 2019 06:35PM
And that charger doesn't look like it can charge both at the same time. It looks like it just has an included dongle that converts the USB-C cord end to the MagSafe connector, so you either have USB-C or MagSafe for charging, but not both.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 07, 2019 07:00PM
Sarcany
Cheap Chinese chargers are fire hazards. Don't do it.

As GGD pointed out, that charger won't do what you want. I clicked on a similar charger that has MagSafe2, USB-A, and USB-C, but no mention of Power Delivery over USB-C (didn't look too hard, as I assume the USB-C port is meant for phones/tablets). But, one of the first pictures in the reviews is of a BURNED MagSafe2 connection!

What is the purpose of wanting one charger to do double-duty? Laziness, lack of outlets, travel compactness?

What sizes are the MBP's? This determines how much wattage you'd want (if this is feasible at all). i.e. 13" are 60ish watts, and 15" are 85 watts. They will trickle charge will less, though.
Date: August 07, 2019 07:04PM
Ok, if you were going to do this, you'd probably want an adapter with dual USB-C power delivery ports and high wattage. But, you'd have to put your faith in one of the USB-C to MagSafe2 adapters, and I'm not sure they are any high quality, super reliable versions of that.

87W (I actually have this one, although I haven't used it a lot, and only use it for 1 computer at a time)
[www.hypershop.com]

100W (don't know anything about this one, but there's a picture of it plugged into 2 USB-C computers)
[zendure.com]
Date: August 07, 2019 07:09PM
Ok, there are also USB-C to MagSafe 2 cables, which I might trust a little more than the adapters, but there's nothing with enough reviews to gain any confidence.

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 07, 2019 07:10PM
Most I have seen are one low power and one high power, like this $26 Anker one.

[www.amazon.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 07, 2019 07:41PM
FAKE SPOT ALERT

[www.fakespot.com]
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: August 08, 2019 02:23PM
thanx for the responses, y'all!

to respond to gareth, we'd like to take just 1 charger when traveling. otherwise, we have plenty of them scattered about the house.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018