advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Replace Quicken for Mac with Gnucash or Kmymoney?
Posted by: JEBB
Date: August 08, 2019 01:03PM
I've been using Quicken for Mac 2007 for many years without any problems. But it is 32 bit and won't work with the next macOS version. The next Quicken version is a subscription product and is evidently quite different from the 2007 version. I'd like to avoid it. Is anyone here using Gnucash or kmymoney as a Quicken replacement?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Replace Quicken for Mac with Gnucash or Kmymoney?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 08, 2019 01:12PM
JEBB,

You can buy older versions of the newer Quicken that are 64 bit, i.e. Quicken 2017 and it isn't a subscription product. I bought a copy of Quicken 2017 last year because I needed it to make a modification to one of my financial accounts for compatibility with a newer version of Moneydance. Unfortunately, it's still missing some of the features of Quicken 2007 such as the reconciliation report but it's an overall solid product.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 01:14PM by Robert M.
Date: August 08, 2019 01:19PM
JEBB,

One other thing... If you're going to make a switch from Quicken to a different app entirely - meaning, a non-Quicken app - I'd consider moving to one with a solid company behind it. Moneydance and Banktivity are the first two personal finance apps that come to mind. Both are very good apps. Still missing some of the features of Quicken 2007 but solid nonetheless.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2019 01:19PM by Robert M.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 08, 2019 01:29PM
....what's.....Gnu....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: raz
Date: August 08, 2019 02:50PM
Moneydance here, FWIW

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 08, 2019 02:56PM
MoneyDance as well. Not perfect, but definitely usable.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Kludgy Thingy
Date: August 08, 2019 07:59PM
Same concern here with the next macOS version. Bought Quicket 2017 and returned because it is quite different from 2007. Is there a book, user manual or tutorial somewhere that I can purchase/peruse? It appears that most of the books were written for Windows. Are they similar enough that I can purchase the Windows version to learn to use with the Mac?
Posted by: Microman
Date: August 09, 2019 08:22AM
I have been using Quicken since the 90's. Currently using Quicken Mac 2017.

I use to always have problems with balances, and spent many hours on the phone with tech support.

One thing I can tell you, is that I haven't called tech support in over 6 months or a year.

The mobile app works better than it ever has. Reconciliation is working great. I have a mortgage that I can see how the payoff date goes down, when I pay an extra $1,000 a month on the loan.

My Credit Union went from Direct Connect to Quicken Connect, and that took a few weeks, before they ironed out the kinks.

I know that when I called Quicken for support it was a crap shoot to fix the problem. Always wanting me to export and import my data. But if I did that , I would lose the MEMO column with a lot of useful information on what I had been doing.

I have a little less than a year of support then I will go with the newest version by subscribing.

[www.quicken.com]

I know the Mac Version is behind the Windows version., But I even put the property value according to Zillow on my Version, and see it on the Mobile app. And the Mortgage loans appear on the Mobile app as well.

Not sure what report, that is missing, but works well for me at the end of year for Taxes.
Date: August 09, 2019 10:04AM
Microman,

Newer versions of Quicken are actually solid apps. Definite improvements since Intuit sold the program. They let it lag terribly. The new developer keeps improving it. The one key report that remains missing is the reconciliation report. It's a report you print after you've reconciled the account for the month. Lists reconciled transactions, outstanding transactions, balances, etc. My accountant deems it critical. That's why I stay with Quicken 2007 for certain accounts. May have to switch to Quicken for Windows at some point if they don't offer this report in the Mac version. Don't want to but it may prove to be a necessary evil.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 231
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018