Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Elon Musk blocking people on Twitter who say photographer should be credited
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 11, 2019 02:13AM
[petapixel.com]

If you enjoy following Elon Musk on Twitter, be careful not to call him out on posting photographers’ work without permission or credit. Multiple people just got blocked by the Tesla and SpaceX entrepreneur for doing just that.

It all started yesterday when Musk Tweeted a photo of a lightning strike to his 27+ million followers with the text “Ride the lightning!” The photo has gotten over 1,000 comments, 6,000 Retweets, and 70,000 likes.

It turns out the photo was shot from the bus at the launch pad by photographer Richard Angle, who has shot many launches over the course of his career — you can find more of his work on his website and Instagram. But Musk didn’t credit Angle at all for the photo aside from the tiny watermark that was left in the bottom corner of the image.

“[Musk] should have just RT’d it or added my @,” Angle writes. “Creators deserve proper credit, we don’t make a living from watermarks.”

At least three people — two photographers and a writer — have been blocked by Musk after they spoke out for Angle.

Other people are siding with Musk, with Angle responding to one by explaining that this watermark “exposure” doesn’t pay the bills.

To add insult to injury, Musk appears to be actively blocking those who are calling him out over this copyright issue. One photographer got blocked for simply Tweeting Musk the message, “You should credit the photographer @RDAnglePhoto.”

Update on 8/8/19: Musk has deleted the photo at the center of this controversy and has blocked Angle on Twitter.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Elon Musk blocking people on Twitter who say photographer should be credited
Posted by: Mr645
Date: August 11, 2019 07:23AM
So it's ok to steal photographs but not cars?
Re: Elon Musk blocking people on Twitter who say photographer should be credited
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 11, 2019 10:09AM
It's less about Musk's desire to steal images than it is a subset of his unacceptance of criticism.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 11, 2019 11:40AM
He has a history of posting other people's images on Twitter without attribution.

He even copied someone's art and used it as an ad for Tesla's sketch pad feature without compensation.

Musk has no respect for anyone's intellectual property other than his own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2019 12:17PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 11, 2019 12:51PM
LOTS of people have no respect at all for copyright. Many people think that a picture on the web is in the public domain and that any music they bought can be used in youtube videos because they BOUGHT IT - that is, if they think about it at all.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 11, 2019 01:23PM
This is not his best look. He’s just wrong.

I hope he comes to his senses.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 11, 2019 03:08PM
sekker

I get the impression that he's one of these really, really smart guys that can't stand getting advice from anyone on anything. When you KNOW what's right - it doesn't matter what other people think.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 11, 2019 07:28PM
He did leave the watermark on, which does attribute the photo. He is obviously not making any friends, but I'm not so sure he needed to do any more to meet the legal requirement for a photo that was already publicly posted on Twitter...speaking of which, doesn't twitter retain the right to use any photographs posted in their terms of service?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 12, 2019 11:34AM
hal
sekker

I get the impression that he's one of these really, really smart guys that can't stand getting advice from anyone on anything. When you KNOW what's right - it doesn't matter what other people think.

Hardly no one attributes images on this forum. Hardly no one does it on Twitter or Facebook. Why should Musk be the exception?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 12, 2019 11:42AM
vision63
hal
sekker

Hardly no one attributes images on this forum. Hardly no one does it on Twitter or Facebook. Why should Musk be the exception?

Because he's communicating with a giant audience, and he's a billionaire? I think most of the time, when the core of the post here on the forum is an image (excepting memes, which are another category) they are either linked to the creator or attributed.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: August 12, 2019 12:08PM
rjmacs
vision63
hal
sekker

Because he's communicating with a giant audience, and he's a billionaire? I think most of the time, when the core of the post here on the forum is an image (excepting memes, which are another category) they are either linked to the creator or attributed.

Most images here are used to demonstrate or accessorize a point, not to show off an image. They're not attributed. You know they mostly are not done so on Facebook and Twitter. Musk is just a dude. He gets to be an individual too. Not saying its right. But it's how it is and it's not going to get better ever again
Date: August 12, 2019 12:14PM
vision63
rjmacs

Most images here are used to demonstrate or accessorize a point, not to show off an image. They're not attributed. You know they mostly are not done so on Facebook and Twitter. Musk is just a dude. He gets to be an individual too. Not saying its right. But it's how it is and it's not going to get better ever again

At the risk of sounding reductive, it sounds a little like you're making the Napster argument.

rj
AKA
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 12, 2019 12:34PM
vision63
Musk is just a dude. He gets to be an individual too. Not saying its right. But it's how it is and it's not going to get better ever again

Musk is engaging in commercial speech. His every tweet is a promotion for his brands.

We can make some decent fair use arguments with the "four prongs" coming out in our favor:
The purpose and character of your use;
The nature of the copyrighted work;
The amount and substantiality of the portion taken; and
The effect of the use upon the potential market.

We're using these works non-commercially, not competing with the original or affecting its marketability, nor depriving the owner of a license-fee that s/he would have otherwise had.

Musk loses the "fair use" argument almost every time. He's making commercial use of the works and the scope of his appropriation almost always would merit a license fee.

But there's another factor that comes into play when he posts someone's work on Twitter without attribution: He's a fabulously wealthy and powerful man with people on staff who can do this stuff for him, and he can't even take a moment to instruct someone to provide proper attribution for something that he admired and appropriated. He's being a jerk and should be called out for it.

Posted by: sekker
Date: August 12, 2019 12:37PM
yep, he is wrong both legally and morally.

This is an odd place for him to take a stand, too. Kind of like why Steve Jobs rotated his cars every 6(?) months - that way he didn't have to have a license plate (or some other related silliness that's only possible if you are a billionaire).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2019 12:38PM by sekker.
Date: August 12, 2019 06:50PM
Sarcany
vision63
Musk is just a dude. He gets to be an individual too. Not saying its right. But it's how it is and it's not going to get better ever again

Musk is engaging in commercial speech. His every tweet is a promotion for his brands.

We can make some decent fair use arguments with the "four prongs" coming out in our favor:
The purpose and character of your use;
The nature of the copyrighted work;
The amount and substantiality of the portion taken; and
The effect of the use upon the potential market.

We're using these works non-commercially, not competing with the original or affecting its marketability, nor depriving the owner of a license-fee that s/he would have otherwise had.

Musk loses the "fair use" argument almost every time. He's making commercial use of the works and the scope of his appropriation almost always would merit a license fee.

But there's another factor that comes into play when he posts someone's work on Twitter without attribution: He's a fabulously wealthy and powerful man with people on staff who can do this stuff for him, and he can't even take a moment to instruct someone to provide proper attribution for something that he admired and appropriated. He's being a jerk and should be called out for it.

It's just a photo. Twitter is just a moment. If he tweeted a meme, with a photo that someone else took, nobody would have a problem. Not even the initial photographer. Dozens of my photos are routinely shared and published without my permission. If someone wants to use them, that's what they're there for. If someone wants to use one of them commercially, then you owe me money. But these hackyass photographers with their watermarks and whining, don't even really enjoy sharing their images. Then they just die with a computer full of photos nobody is going to care about because they're helicoptering over "how" people enjoy their work.

Giving someone credit is the right thing to do. If they don't, are you harmed? I thank people for using my photos. That embarrasses them enough to credit me. They didn't do it on purpose, they just didn't think about it. Instead of enjoying this "great" man highlighting his work, he pouted and got blocked.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 12, 2019 08:37PM
I think it is deeper, as others have pointed out. Being called on something that is wrong, and being a child about it.

I have FAR more RESPECT for someone who can admit they were wrong, or have had to change direction because the situation has changed, than someone insisting on following the map and driving over the collapsed bridge. Having the strength of character to admit or change is far more important.
Date: August 13, 2019 07:36AM
vision63
It's just a photo. Twitter is just a moment. If he tweeted a meme, with a photo that someone else took, nobody would have a problem. Not even the initial photographer. Dozens of my photos are routinely shared and published without my permission. If someone wants to use them, that's what they're there for. If someone wants to use one of them commercially, then you owe me money. But these hackyass photographers with their watermarks and whining, don't even really enjoy sharing their images. Then they just die with a computer full of photos nobody is going to care about because they're helicoptering over "how" people enjoy their work.

Giving someone credit is the right thing to do. If they don't, are you harmed? I thank people for using my photos. That embarrasses them enough to credit me. They didn't do it on purpose, they just didn't think about it. Instead of enjoying this "great" man highlighting his work, he pouted and got blocked.

I respectfully disagree.

If you are making your living creating something, and someone uses your creation without credit or royalty (someone who has no credible reason for being unable to credit you, other than that they don't care), you're within your rights to complain.

If it's done by someone who habitually uses other people's professional work without permission or compensation, the legitimacy of the criticism increases.

He doesn't get a pass for being a "great" man. He doesn't get a pass because it's Twitter. He doesn't get a pass because he wasn't selling the image. He has to do it right, just like everyone else. He is building and sustaining a brand; Twitter and tweeting is part of that package and strategy. It's wrong for Musk to use someone else's work product to enhance his career without giving the creator their due.

rj
AKA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2019 07:37AM by rjmacs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 301
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018