advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ios photo backup alternative?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 11, 2019 08:29AM
My wife shoots photos and never deletes them, nearly filling up our 50gb icloud backup again and again. I purge them, but it is a time-consuming chore that I would like to avoid. I know I can buy more iCloud space, but with free options abounding, I wouldn't mind not spending more for iCloud space that she will just fill eventually.

Is there a way to keep using iCloud for auto backups of the iPhones and iPads except for photos and videos - then have those two things backup automatically and share between devices from a different service like Amazon's cloud?

if so how?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ios photo backup alternative?
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: August 11, 2019 09:27AM
To exclude backing up photos on an iOS device, go:
Settings/1st option, the one with your name/iCloud/manage storage/backups/this iPhone, and uncheck Photo library.
I understand one drive can be set to backup the Photo library, so that’s what I would try, but I’ve never had the need.
The real issue will still be here though. And it will eventually bring logistic annoyances, security complications, etc.
Would you consider not setting up an automatic backup, and have her admin her own creative output?

• back to confinement

Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 11, 2019 09:51AM
Google Photos App, or Amazon Photos if you are a Prime Member. Of course, they aren’t as private as iCloud.
Realize, if you turn off iCloud library, any photos on the phone will be full size, while the iCloud library has an "optimize" option to dynamically reduce the photo file size to thumbnail is storage space on the iPhone is needed.
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 11, 2019 10:41AM
Google Photos App. Then you can always go to photos.google.com and search for "cat" and ever cat you every photographed will show up.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: August 11, 2019 11:55AM
vision63
... search for "cat" and ever cat you every photographed will show up.

This has been around for a good while in Photo.app.

• back to confinement

Date: August 11, 2019 12:02PM
rich in distress
vision63
... search for "cat" and ever cat you every photographed will show up.

This has been around for a good while in Photo.app.

Yes, it bears repeating. When I type in "Emeryville" I can drill down in an instant. I can't live without that.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 11, 2019 01:29PM
Are I saying she’s shooting 50 Gb of photos on a regular basis? Or that she has 50 Gb and keeps adding a few Gb a month and exceeds it?

If it’s the latter, seems as tho just upping to the 200 Gb plan would last a good long time. Even I you had 100 Gb worth now Adding a couple of Gb a month in new photos would be 50 months worth.

However, if the former, I’d just pony up the $10 for the 2 Tb plan. IMHO seems like a pretty small amount to pay for piece of mind. Additionally you can backup ALL your devices to it. So now everyone is backed up.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 11, 2019 08:41PM
Download them periodically to her Mac and delete those on the iPhone that she won’t be viewing ever again.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 11, 2019 11:23PM
Speedy
Download them periodically to her Mac and delete those on the iPhone that she won’t be viewing ever again.

OOh OOH OOH, Mr Kotter! Also remember Amazon has unlimited photos if you pay for Prime.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 12, 2019 12:42AM
Speedy

All well and good if you have a mac. Or not a mac with say, a 128 GB flash drive as its primary. Then you need externals...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 409
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018