advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pain and addiction takes another victim
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 11, 2019 10:13AM
The young man that crashed my sons car finally succumbed to his addiction, dying of an overdose last week. A waste of an intelligent young man. We talked quite a lot about his love of fixing cars, and the genetic defects that caused him chronic pain that kept him from his dreams. And the laws that kept him from getting proper treatment and finally drove him to seeking pain relief on the darker side of pharmacology. Which ultimately destroyed his ability to make a living, and finally took his life.

There are so many people in his situation. We call them addicts and look down on them. But they got there for a reason. And many times that reason isn’t “seeking a high”.its seeking normalcy.

Rest now without pain, Spencer. Our society failed you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2019 10:14AM by cbelt3.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pain and addiction takes another victim
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 11, 2019 10:21AM
I’m sorry for your loss.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: August 11, 2019 11:05AM
Sorry, cbelt3, for your loss.

=wr=
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 11, 2019 11:23AM
Sorry for your loss.

The “system” can easily fail the poor. Instead on condemning/jailing/ignoring them, a solution needs to be found.... I’ll leave it at that before my response gets any more political.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 11, 2019 01:23PM
I've suffered for many years with chronic pain, failed spinal fusion and now Meralgia paresthetica so I
know somewhat what this young man went through except the dark side of meds that he had to resort to.
My immediate family has been supportive and helpful. At one point though I was told by my wife it was
the either prescription pain meds or me one or the other had to go. I chose the the to get off the pain meds
but once you stop taking pain meds the pain clinics are through with you and will ask you not to come back,
at least that's the way it is our area. The system is severely flawed. I now resort to heating pads, a Tens Unit,
a power foundation for my bed and OTC pain meds, probably way more OTC stuff than is good
for me but it's my only avenue anymore. The prescription pain meds can turn some people, like me,
into one big huge arse and I wasn't even aware of it.

I'm so very sorry to hear of the loss of this young man.

Grateful11
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 11, 2019 01:39PM
So sorry to hear. My condolences.

I have a good friend I've known almost since we were in diapers. He lives not far from me to this day. I worry about my friend John.

He is always there if I have trouble and need help. When I was suffering from a severe sciatica attack back in June, he was right there. I couldn't sleep, I was in deep pain, walking with a cane and nothing over the counter would help me. He gave me his whole bottle of prescription pain killers, (Oxycodone?) and said he would be back in a few days to pick up the pills I didn't use. They worked like a miracle, and got me through one rough patch.

I knew he was addicted to pain killers for quite some time but didn't realize just how bad. He says he takes up to 15 a DAY and when his 'script runs out, he buys them on the street and spends up to $1500. a month on them.

He has mentioned rehab, but I'm afraid he's too far gone.

I worry about my friend John.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2019 01:40PM by Rick-o.
Posted by: bfd
Date: August 11, 2019 03:53PM
Tough to watch someone go in slow motion like this. You and your son certainly did more than most. In the end, the drug just gets its claws in to someone and won't let go.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 11, 2019 05:46PM
Very sorry, I've known a few people who have succumbed, including family members.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: August 12, 2019 08:58AM
Sympathy_emoticon_by_ChaosAngel5

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 12, 2019 09:43AM
Very sorry to hear. We need to do more to support people that suffer from addiction.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 12, 2019 06:54PM
Sadness. I've lost a few to Alcohol or other drugs. It hurts. It hurts to see the loved ones hurt even more.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 12, 2019 08:22PM
I remember much of those moments you posted.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 301
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018