Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
0 Days Since Last Facebook Scandal: Facebook was listening in on conversations
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: August 13, 2019 08:35PM
[gizmodo.com]

Facebook has paid hundreds of contractors around the world to transcribe some of its users Messenger messages, according to a new Bloomberg report. The social network stopped doing the transcriptions a week ago, following public outrage after journalists revealed that Amazon, Google, and Apple employed similar teams to review voice commands for Alexa, Assistant, and Siri. But this Facebook news is somehow more foreboding than anything we’ve heard before.

It suggests that humans are listening to our private recordings more often than we thought. The recordings that Facebook’s contractors were transcribing came from the voice-to-text feature in Messenger.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2019 08:37PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 0 Days Since Last Facebook Scandal: Facebook was listening in on conversations
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 13, 2019 08:46PM
Repeat after me: Nothing on the internet is private....

This shouldn't surprise anyone.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Re: 0 Days Since Last Facebook Scandal: Facebook was listening in on conversations
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: August 13, 2019 10:17PM
C(-)ris
Repeat after me: Nothing on the internet is private....

This shouldn't surprise anyone.

It shouldn't, yet to most people who aren't very tech-savvy it is a horrifying revelation. I've tried to warn people for years, since the introduction of GM's OnStar, that If it responds to voice commands at any time then it is listening ALL the time and you wouldn't believe how many people have argued with me about that, saying things like "Oh, it doesn't start listening until you call it by name".

Really? If it wasn't already listening then how did it know when you called it by name?

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 13, 2019 10:31PM
Why do people even trust Facebook anymore? They provide nothing at all that interests me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 322
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018