advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
2010 White Unibody MacBook - amazing Apple tech still relevant today
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 13, 2019 09:37PM
Just rescued a 'classic' - a venerable 2010 2.4GHz dual core white unibody MacBook. It had been on the shelf for a couple years (since my daughter upgraded to a 13" MBPR). I dusted it off and discovered a disease! One of the middle battery cells had exploded, doubling the Mac in size and looking terrible. Could post later, but this casual project instantly became toxic waste cleanup work.

Ended up removing the bad battery, let the (plastic) bounce back, fixed the trackpad using some creative use of adhesives, and found the original (now low capacity) Apple battery. Booted up great.

Just installed a $30 new battery and cloned over the OS from a working machine, updated now to High Sierra. SSD and 8GB of RAM, the machine with its dedicated GPU is quite snappy.

When I visited tech specs, I am amazed - this machine can handle 16 GB of RAM, something Apple still doesn't exceed in even modern 13" laptops. Gigabit ethernet, terrific wifi - honestly, if it had USB3, it would STILL be quite a viable and popular machine.

As noted on this Board, these Macs are going for a song on ebay. I found a number that are in good order and cost less than $120. I had the SSD and RAM around as part of other upgrades, so I even planned to just buy a replacement machine for ~$100 to keep capital costs down for an educational use. Also as I noted, they run a fully supported Mac OS just fine. Pretty good for a ~10 year old machine.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 2010 White Unibody MacBook - amazing Apple tech still relevant today
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 13, 2019 09:44PM
[forums.macresource.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 13, 2019 09:51PM
Speedy
[forums.macresource.com]

It's off to a good home and will serve well for at least a couple years to come - so long as Apple supports the OS.

I don't horde Macs - I really do try to put them to good use. This was the last machine left unused on my shelf (not counting the ancient StarMax that's in the garage, and that might be off soon).
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 13, 2019 10:21PM
sekker
It's off to a good home and will serve well for at least a couple years to come.

Good on you! There are plenty of people who still can’t afford even a cheap computer.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 13, 2019 10:33PM
Hey, that StarMax could support hundreds of Apollo space launches simultaneously.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 13, 2019 11:00PM
sekker

When I visited tech specs, I am amazed - this machine can handle 16 GB of RAM, something Apple still doesn't exceed in even modern 13" laptops.

As noted on this Board, these Macs are going for a song on ebay. I found a number that are in good order and cost less than $120.

The ram limit wasnt Apples doing. And once they started shipping with 3000 MB/s flash drives, scratch disks all he sudden became 1000 times more useful

And I agree it seems like a good deal, $120, (plus SSD and ram if you dont have it) -- but I have seen many 2012 13" MBPs for $300. Its what I paid for my last one, it was in near showroom condition. prob take another several years of OSes if thats a thing for you. Im not bothered with running El Cap or Mavs, so meh.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: hal
Date: August 14, 2019 12:16AM
I set one up for a friend new and she is still using it. It'll probably make it to 10 years of continuous use.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 14, 2019 10:28AM
Racer X
Hey, that StarMax could support hundreds of Apollo space launches simultaneously.

Maybe SpaceX could use it.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 14, 2019 10:29AM
....and what a body......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 14, 2019 12:06PM
My brain is a bit cloudy; was this the model where you could access the HDD via the battery pack compartment by simply removing a metal "L" bracket? If so, that was my favorite Mac portable ever made.

Make it a good day today.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 14, 2019 12:20PM
Zoidberg
My brain is a bit cloudy; was this the model where you could access the HDD via the battery pack compartment by simply removing a metal "L" bracket? If so, that was my favorite Mac portable ever made.

I think those were 2006-2009 models. The top case on 2006 used to crack but Apple would replace it for free.

EDIT: super easy to upgrade RAM and HD. And user replaceable battery!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2019 12:21PM by space-time.
Date: August 14, 2019 05:12PM
This is the version with 8 screws on the bottom. Easypeasy to upgrade
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 287
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018