advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How Soon for T-Mobile/Sprint Merger to Improve T-M Coverage?
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: August 13, 2019 10:08PM
Down here in Powhatan, VA, at my daughter's place, I would have limited or 'No Service' if it were not for T-Mobile using the wireless in her house. I am getting tired of it. I keep thinking that merging with Sprint would improve T-M's coverage. But when?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How Soon for T-Mobile/Sprint Merger to Improve T-M Coverage?
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 13, 2019 10:18PM
I doubt they get to merge. Even Texas has joined the lawsuit to block it. That's 16 states so far. The courts have postponed the start of the trial until December.

[gizmodo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2019 10:19PM by vision63.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 13, 2019 10:31PM
Yeah; I wouldn't hold my breath regarding a successful merger, as much as I'd like to see it happen.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 14, 2019 06:34AM
if you have wired internet, I strongly recommend a T-Mo cell spot.
$25 one time, unless the acct is under a corp. Then, usually, nothing.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

Television is a medium because it is neither rare nor well done.
>>>Ernie Kovacs>>>
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 14, 2019 06:48AM
In my experience, Sprint has the worst coverage of any carrier in the U.S. And they've done everything in their power to make their company worse -- in every respect -- than any other provider in the nation, if not the world.

A better line of inquiry would ask how T-Mobile's management might make something useful out of Sprint's operation, given how broken it is by every metric.

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 14, 2019 08:56AM
Sarcany
In my experience, Sprint has the worst coverage of any carrier in the U.S. And they've done everything in their power to make their company worse -- in every respect -- than any other provider in the nation, if not the world.

A better line of inquiry would ask how T-Mobile's management might make something useful out of Sprint's operation, given how broken it is by every metric.

My guess is that T-Mobile want's Sprint's cell tower and frequency contracts.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 14, 2019 09:01AM
......what's the frequency Kenneth.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: August 14, 2019 02:09PM
Sarcany

Sprint work great for me coast to coast. I never understand what the problem is. I'm all over the country and I have signal. I'm like "what the hell am I doing right?" I think it's just people sticking with their perceptions. I got 2 lines on Sprint and one on Verizon. Verizon is better in nowheresville. But they give out too. Sprint has MUCH better unlimited without throttling.

Sprint is the better company to preserve since they have an incredible history and legacy.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 14, 2019 05:20PM
macphanatic
Sarcany

Sprint sold all their cell towers and leased them back. That's one reason why they ended up with so much rolling debt and it's also why they're so far behind on upgrading their network -- they're subsidizing a third-party's improvements and they have to negotiate with third parties for every upgrade.

As far as "frequency" (spectrum) goes, it's not very valuable. They blew every single spectrum auction over the last two decades and actually skipped some critical LTE and 5G auctions because they didn't have the cash to compete. Much of what they have is so bad that it's stomped on by 2.4GH Bluetooth and kids' walkie talkies.

Honestly, if I were Deutsche Telekom, the only reason I might be interested in Sprint would be for their customers. Together, the customer-base is nearly the size of AT&T Mobility.

Date: August 14, 2019 05:57PM
Sarcany
macphanatic
Sarcany

Sprint sold all their cell towers and leased them back. That's one reason why they ended up with so much rolling debt and it's also why they're so far behind on upgrading their network -- they're subsidizing a third-party's improvements and they have to negotiate with third parties for every upgrade.

As far as "frequency" (spectrum) goes, it's not very valuable. They blew every single spectrum auction over the last two decades and actually skipped some critical LTE and 5G auctions because they didn't have the cash to compete. Much of what they have is so bad that it's stomped on by 2.4GH Bluetooth and kids' walkie talkies.

Honestly, if I were Deutsche Telekom, the only reason I might be interested in Sprint would be for their customers. Together, the customer-base is nearly the size of AT&T Mobility.

55 million customers in a country with 350 million people ain't bad. They plan to give away 9 million pre-paid customers. Since Dish would surely fail as the 4th carrier (the lynchpin of approval), we don't need more consolidation. If Sprint is so terrible, then just let them fail and pick up the pieces for cheap later or fight it out in the ensuing scrum.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: August 14, 2019 10:03PM
Great. Not what I wanted to hear. Have a year left on the T-M contract. Then it's back to Verizon.

/Mr Lynn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 266
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018