advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any Joe Walsh fans here? Took me 20 yrs but I finally finished a cover of Rocky Mountain Way
Posted by: JoeM
Date: August 14, 2019 12:53PM
While going through some DATs from about 20 years ago, I came across an unfinished instrumental version that I did of Joe Walsh's great "Rocky Mountain Way". It was never meant to be a serious recording, I had made it to goof around with and as a way to test new gear that I was installing in my recording studio back at that time.

I decided to add the front 8 bars and the solo section, which was never completed in the original recording. It's a bit crunchy sounding but kind of fun - If anyone would like to give a listen, here it is:

[youtu.be]

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any Joe Walsh fans here? Took me 20 yrs but I finally finished a cover of Rocky Mountain Way
Posted by: hal
Date: August 14, 2019 01:09PM
Really nice! Glad for the fuzz/wah solo instead of a talkbox. I had a moment of dread there... Fun slide work all around. Not a big fan of the song, but it's a great piece for testing and working out the kinks.
Re: Any Joe Walsh fans here? Took me 20 yrs but I finally finished a cover of Rocky Mountain Way
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 14, 2019 01:21PM
Not loading for me...?
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: August 14, 2019 01:57PM
Love Joe Walsh. Thanks for this. Lotta fun.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 14, 2019 02:04PM
thumbs up

Like! Original song, AND your cover!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 14, 2019 02:13PM
Cool! I like it, not an easy song to play is what I can figure. But I'm pretty sucky at guitar, esp slide.

What bridge is that on your strat?
Posted by: August West
Date: August 14, 2019 03:05PM
thumbs up

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: pinkoos
Date: August 14, 2019 03:07PM
That was awesome

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]

Date: August 14, 2019 03:11PM
Thanks everyone!

hal, I actually used an envelope follower for the solo but I did use my 1968 Vox Clyde McCoy wah-wah pedal coming out of it. Hadn’t plugged that in for over 30 yrs so I was happy to see it still works.

mrbigstuff - it’s an original Kahler tremolo. The strat was custom made for me around ‘79 by the guys at Strings and Things in Memphis. They were the guys who were building some of ZZ Tops guitars at the time and I had reviewed one of their guitars for an article I wrote at that time in International Musician mag. I liked it so much that I had them build me a custom strat to my specs.

JoeM
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 14, 2019 03:52PM
I heard something about Joe Walsh two days ago I need to share: He gives free guitar lessons to the injured vets at Walter Reed Hospital.
Date: August 14, 2019 04:09PM
keep this stuff coming Joe - LOVING it
Date: August 14, 2019 04:11PM
Dennis S
I heard something about Joe Walsh two days ago I need to share: He gives free guitar lessons to the injured vets at Walter Reed Hospital.

Funny - I just read an article by Joe Walsh today [www.nytimes.com]

[not THAT joe walsh]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2019 04:11PM by hal.
Date: August 14, 2019 04:36PM
Dennis S

That is really great! He apparently has done a lot for many. His wife was quoted as saying he is very generous, maybe too generous.

JoeM
Date: August 14, 2019 04:39PM
hal
keep this stuff coming Joe - LOVING it

hal, thanks again, really glad you like it. Will certainly share others as I get back into it. I'm looking to record some originals that I've had in the future.

JoeM
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: August 14, 2019 04:51PM
WOW. that's damn good. Did you do all the parts? Even the keyboards?

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Date: August 14, 2019 08:22PM
tuqqer
WOW. that's damn good. Did you do all the parts? Even the keyboards?

tugger, thanks! Yes, guitars, bass and keys but honestly, I needed to do each hand on piano separately due to arthritis in my thumbs. smiley-music039

I programmed the MIDI for the drums and used a sampled kit.

JoeM
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 14, 2019 11:28PM
You want to REALLY impress me, go compete in an unlimited hydroplane race as the driver.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 15, 2019 03:43AM
Saw him live when it was just “The James Gang”.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]
Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: August 15, 2019 08:14AM
Great song - very well done and love that Strat!
Date: August 15, 2019 07:41PM
Racer X
You want to REALLY impress me, go compete in an unlimited hydroplane race as the driver.

Honestly, I can’t even swim ... I don’t want to impress you that much.

JoeM
Date: August 15, 2019 07:46PM
DeusxMac
Saw him live when it was just “The James Gang”.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

I never got to see him on his own but I have seen him 2x with the Eagles. He got the biggest and longest rounds of applause when he did his own songs. I thought that was pretty cool!

JoeM
Date: August 15, 2019 07:46PM
flightdelayedagain
Great song - very well done and love that Strat!

Thank you!

JoeM
Posted by: Sam3
Date: August 16, 2019 04:04AM
Very cool!
Date: August 16, 2019 09:54AM
Thanks Sam3!

JoeM
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 16, 2019 10:35AM
JoeM
Dennis S

That is really great! He apparently has done a lot for many. His wife was quoted as saying he is very generous, maybe too generous.

Joe Walsh is famous for giving away stuff. He gave Jimmy Page the now-famous Les Paul "Number One" that Page used for most of Zeppelin's run, and still uses to this day (maybe not THIS day, as it's on display at the Met in New York right now).

Really cool cover, thanks for sharing Joe.
Date: August 16, 2019 05:28PM
Will Collier
JoeM
Dennis S

Joe Walsh is famous for giving away stuff. He gave Jimmy Page the now-famous Les Paul "Number One" that Page used for most of Zeppelin's run, and still uses to this day (maybe not THIS day, as it's on display at the Met in New York right now).

Really cool cover, thanks for sharing Joe.

Thank you Will! He also gave Pete Townshend his '57 Gretsch 6120 and 59 Fender Bandmaster which went on to be very prominent in Pete's Who recordings at that time.

JoeM
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 16, 2019 11:02PM
JoeM
Racer X

Honestly, I can’t even swim ... I don’t want to impress you that much.

As a joke Joe Walsh competed for a season of the U 99.9 Miss KISW as their celebrity driver. He actually did OK. Late '80s or early '90s. Can't find any record of it, but I saw him compete here in Seattle that year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 130
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020