advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Just for fun: For 24 hours you have the ability to touch any book and learn and retain all the knowledge it contains. What do you do?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: August 16, 2019 10:13PM
You will learn, understand and retain the knowledge for the duration of your life. But books and only books. Bonus: You have one opportunity to put the ‘clock’ on hold for up to 12 hours.

Do you become a subject expert? A generalist with enormous breadth? A polyglot with a staggering range?

Unfortunately, I’d have to burn somewhere around eight hours getting to the Library of Congress. Then the challenge would begin. That traveling time would be well used plotting out my strategy as a generalist. Sixteen hours left.

Four hours in law. Four hours in computer science. Four hours in languages. Four hours in medicine/biology.

Remember, knowledge only. Understanding thoracic surgery does not gift you with the hands of a surgeon.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just for fun: For 24 hours you have the ability to touch any book and learn and retain all the knowledge it contains. What do you do?
Posted by: GeneL
Date: August 16, 2019 10:40PM
A very interesting premise. I'm surprised that more of the members haven't responded???

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Re: Just for fun: For 24 hours you have the ability to touch any book and learn and retain all the knowledge it contains. What do you do?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 16, 2019 11:02PM
Just walk the library touching ? I could get through all of it in that time.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 16, 2019 11:36PM
I would split off some time for mechanical and electrical engineering, physics, philosophy, and literature.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: vision63
Date: August 16, 2019 11:40PM
cbelt3
Just walk the library touching ? I could get through all of it in that time.

In Blankity Blank's Twilight Zone, you'll never be able to apply that expanded knowledge to anything in your life that could use it.

DooDooDooDoo DooDooDooDoo DooDooDooDoo DooDooDooDoo DooDooDooDoo...
Posted by: datbeme
Date: August 16, 2019 11:57PM
So we can retain the book regardless of the language?

Posted by: Rolando
Date: August 17, 2019 12:06AM
At least have the fun of knowing something is learning, so. I don't know about this. I have a generalist knowledge of Math, Physics, Biology, World History, etc.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 17, 2019 12:22AM
I’d run to the PSU University Park book store and devour all the engineering, physics, chemistry, biology and medical content then head to the library on campus. I might go for some fiction after becoming all knowing.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: August 17, 2019 12:25AM
datbeme
So we can retain the book regardless of the language?

Since that’s the only way you’d be able to retain the knowledge, yes. The information in the book would be retained by you in your native language.
Date: August 17, 2019 12:35AM
Rolando
At least have the fun of knowing something is learning, so. I don't know about this. I have a generalist knowledge of Math, Physics, Biology, World History, etc.

Interesting. But having a cornucopia of knowledge to ruminate on, apply to those fields as they continue to expand and integrate into other fields you haven’t explored? No temptation there?
Date: August 17, 2019 12:45AM
Thinking about my own choices more, I’d never forgive myself if I didn’t shave a few minutes off each of the other topics to make at least brief passes through music theory and history, laying down a solid foundation for further traditional study later.

Which brings up the interesting question of what it would be like going back to traditional learning after experiencing learning as a pure, boundary free, unfettered flow of revelation?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2019 12:46AM by Blankity Blank.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 17, 2019 02:15AM
Blankity Blank
Interesting. But having a cornucopia of knowledge to ruminate on, apply to those fields as they continue to expand and integrate into other fields you haven’t explored? No temptation there?

Still, why waste it?

Pick up a set of "Heelys" and drag your finger across the spines of every book in a major college library.

Maybe you'll come across a direction in life that you hadn't considered before and do a deep dive into it.

Maybe then you put in the work and become that skilled surgeon or musician, or be the perfect umpire in pro baseball games. Maybe you travel the world applying some of that knowledge for the betterment of mankind.

Maybe you don't think you've gotten anything from it, but you're walking down the street and someone nearby collapses and your knowledge saves a life.

I'd do it.

Date: August 17, 2019 03:26AM
Sarcany
Blankity Blank

Still, why waste it?

Pick up a set of "Heelys" and drag your finger across the spines of every book in a major college library.

Maybe you'll come across a direction in life that you hadn't considered before and do a deep dive into it.

Maybe then you put in the work and become that skilled surgeon or musician, or be the perfect umpire in pro baseball games. Maybe you travel the world applying some of that knowledge for the betterment of mankind.

Maybe you don't think you've gotten anything from it, but you're walking down the street and someone nearby collapses and your knowledge saves a life.

I'd do it.

Oh, I like that. I hadn’t even considered that brass ring. Kismet. Finding a sudden, unexpected passion.

In all the stacks, in all the libraries, in all the world, your finger had to swipe my spine. I like that.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 17, 2019 05:29AM
On my first read of the OP, I thought only one book could be selected - what is the one book you would select. To me, that is a far more challenging endeavor.

If it is unlimited, then put on running shoes and head to a university. Of course, having the knowledge and being able to recall it may be two different things. If you don't know what you read as you ran a finger along stacks of books, how can you recall it? What if books contradict each other? which do you trust? Rote memorization (which is what this essentially is) is not the same as understanding and utilizing that information.

Of course, your time on Jeopardy would take care of finances since you would never miss a question.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: August 17, 2019 06:43AM
Don't forget at least one Trivia book.

pirate smiley

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 17, 2019 07:58AM
modern world history (perhaps 1600s on), comp sci, languages, law, electronics, economics, some great books

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: August 17, 2019 08:06AM
Medicine...all the books I could find at the local medical school's library...then I'd take the MCAT.
Posted by: rz
Date: August 17, 2019 08:26AM
Yeah, I got the impression it was just one book. If it were just one book, I'd either pick a good music theory book, or thick book on world history.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: August 17, 2019 09:00AM
My list of 4:

complete command of 12 languages.

complete command of the stock market and hedge trading.

complete command of coding.

complete command of NeuroLinguistic Programming (NLP)

(fun topic, Blankity Blank, thanks for posting)

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2019 09:02AM by tuqqer.
DAMN, that's a really great question.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 17, 2019 10:53AM
Much better than the typical 'If you could kill any two people and get away with it, what superpower would you want' etc.

I just don't have a good answer at the moment.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: August 17, 2019 12:12PM
Ombligo
On my first read of the OP, I thought only one book could be selected - what is the one book you would select. To me, that is a far more challenging endeavor.

If it is unlimited, then put on running shoes and head to a university. Of course, having the knowledge and being able to recall it may be two different things. If you don't know what you read as you ran a finger along stacks of books, how can you recall it? What if books contradict each other? which do you trust? Rote memorization (which is what this essentially is) is not the same as understanding and utilizing that information.

Of course, your time on Jeopardy would take care of finances since you would never miss a question.

rz
Yeah, I got the impression it was just one book. If it were just one book, I'd either pick a good music theory book, or thick book on world history.

Don’t worry, no got’chas or genie tricks.

‘Understanding’, retention and recall are part and parcel of the scenario, though it probably wouldn’t be a bad bit if insurance to include basic texts along with advanced texts.

What one knows is recalled when one ‘looks’ for it. If I were to ask myself, ‘How would I attack climate change?’ the first thing that happens is my mind searches my recollection for what I know about the question, not when and where I learned it. Sometimes that search will yield nothing useful, sometimes the yield will be considerable.

Contradictory knowledge would be handled in the same fashion as you would normally, you weigh your accumulated knowledge on the subject and sort the wheat from the chaff.

Blankity Blank
You will learn, understand and retain the knowledge for the duration of your life. But books and only books. Bonus: You have one opportunity to put the ‘clock’ on hold for up to 12 hours.

... Remember, knowledge only. Understanding thoracic surgery does not gift you with the hands of a surgeon.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 17, 2019 02:19PM
... Remember, knowledge only. Understanding thoracic surgery does not gift you with the hands of a surgeon.

Oh, I don't know...

Harry: What do you know about stock car racin’?

Cole: Well, I watch it on television, of course.

Harry: You seen it on television?

Cole: ESPN. The coverage is excellent. You’d be surprised at how much you can pick up.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: August 17, 2019 02:26PM
I’d read physics and electrical engineering, followed by the hundreds of books I’ve accumulated over the years and otherwise probably never would get to. I’d end with the 60 or so P.G. Wodehouse books I’ve not yet read, then spend the rest of the year laughing my butt off.

Posted by: Golfer
Date: August 17, 2019 07:43PM
Kama Sutra
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 18, 2019 12:51AM
Facebook

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018