advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Doctor sued for (you won't believe this)
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 17, 2019 06:38PM
This is second hand story, but my friend says her friend, a back/neck surgeon was sued by a woman (75). He operated her husband (80 year old!!!), about two years ago, and the surgery was a success, but she complains that he could not perform in bed for about 3 weeks during recovery. Now he's fine and apparently they are happy in bed, but she is upset on missing out those 3 weeks.

I take this with a grain of salt, but anything is possible.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Doctor sued for (you won't believe this)
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 17, 2019 07:12PM
at that age 3 weeks represents a large fraction of your remaining time on earth. every minute counts.

are their any costs involved when a frivolous lawsuit is thrown out of court?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: August 17, 2019 07:45PM
Ah, the Baby Boomer generation. People rag on kids today for having a sense of entitlement, but they are rank amateurs compared to the Boomers.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.

- Peter Singer
Posted by: davester
Date: August 17, 2019 07:52PM
No documentation = tall story

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: August 17, 2019 10:35PM
I'm a pathologist (the doctor who actually makes the diagnosis on whether a specimen has cancer or not, etc.) and, so, the last thing we would ever think about getting sued for is an autopsy (we can't be negligent on a patient that is already dead). We worry about making the wrong diagnosis, missing a diagnosis, overcalling a diagnosis, etc.

However, an autopsy is what I was sued over many years ago.

I don't want to get into the details of that case, but I mention it only to illustrate that anybody can get sued for anything. Whether they win or not is a different story, but doctors can try and do as much as they can to CYA (cover your a$$) but, in the end, it can all be in vain.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 18, 2019 02:07AM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Ah, the Baby Boomer generation. People rag on kids today for having a sense of entitlement, but they are rank amateurs compared to the Boomers.

75 would not be a boomer, but from the generation before. The oldest boomers are turning 73 this year.
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 18, 2019 07:05AM
My dad was an OB/GYN and many years ago was on-call at the local hospital ER (before they had ER docs). A woman was brought in from a taxi accident and my dad was called because of her gyno injuries. He apparently said something to her about potential fertility problems because of her injuries.

Guess what? She apparently took that as permission to not use birth control, got pregnant and then sued my dad, the hospital and anybody else standing still for child support!

That case made it to court before it was thrown out. But, it was a huge deal in the household; I was a kid and so I only knew about it when my mom explained why dad was so distressed.

I don't know the details and, of course, my memory is 55 years old at this point. But, I am confident that it was the only time my dad was sued. He was the classic caring doc who would spend much-too-much time with a patient that always put him behind for the day. But, his patients loved him!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 18, 2019 08:27AM
at that age 3 weeks represents a large fraction of your remaining time on earth. every minute counts.

I like to think that was a joke.

No documentation = tall story

Probably. To accept as fact or not is a choice without any downside.

Frivolous lawsuits are brought for a number of reasons, but mainly out of a misguided sense of seeking justice, or seeking financial gain, usually unjust.

anybody can get sued for anything

Around here it's corollary is popular:

Anybody can sue for anything. To some people, clients and lawyers, there's no such thing as frivolous if there's a buck to be made. Certainly there are limits, but one would hardly ever know it.

Out this way, a woman sued because an elevator accident made her a nymphomaniac. It made the news for a few days, and as is the way of 'news cycles' the results weren't news.

The suit wasn't a tall tale, whether or not the alleged condition was. There are thousands of stories like that which tell me that at this point s-t can choose to believe the story or not with almost equal chances of being right.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: August 18, 2019 09:40AM
JoeH
Yoyodyne ArtWorks

75 would not be a boomer, but from the generation before. The oldest boomers are turning 73 this year.

Yep. The couple in this story are from “The Silent Generation”.

“Demographers and researchers use mid-to-late 1920s as starting birth years and early-to-mid 1940s as ending birth years for this cohort.”
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: August 18, 2019 10:03AM
True enough, the boomer generation didn’t start until 1946, but that woman was only a few years older and almost all of her childhood development was during the boomer “coddle the child” era, so I put her in anyway. Hubby is definitely from the silent generation, as he apparently kept his mouth shut while his wife filed her idiotic lawsuit.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.

- Peter Singer
Posted by: wowzer
Date: August 19, 2019 04:43PM
I’m an ER doc in NY. Lawsuits are expected nowadays and an exception to the rule. The days of having a career without lawsuits is long gone. Society has embraced lawsuits because it is essentially without significant individual responsibility—without a loser pays system, why not sue?

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 223
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018