advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Our new LG dryer needs to be set to 'Very Dry' to complete dry clothes - why?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 18, 2019 08:24PM
We have a brand new gas LG dryer model DLGX3901B - to works great as long as its set to 'Very Dry'. It seems the middle and default setting just doesn't get the job done. Its a mild annoyance.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Our new LG dryer needs to be set to 'Very Dry' to complete dry clothes - why?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 18, 2019 08:25PM
Not on a new install. Make sure your exhaust is not plugged.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: Our new LG dryer needs to be set to 'Very Dry' to complete dry clothes - why?
Date: August 18, 2019 08:28PM
Speedy
Not on a new install. Make sure your exhaust is not plugged.

Its new as well. Just verified that its unclogged.

Posted by: space-time
Date: August 18, 2019 08:38PM
I am not familiar with that model, but I have a one year old DLG7201WE. Seems to work fine, sometimes some items are not fully dry and we need to add a few minutes, but that also happened with the old GE dryer that we had before.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 18, 2019 08:39PM
The Energy Star score is based upon power usage over a single hour.

As a result, many home appliances will either default to running on a low setting, or will run on low power for over an hour (the test only extends for the 1st hour) to get a higher Energy Star score than it would merit in an honest test. The test does not take into account how many times you need to run the appliance to get the job done.

Energy Star is also a self-reporting standard, so some manufacturers simply lie about the efficiency of their devices.

I suppose rigging it to always default to a lower setting is the lesser evil.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 18, 2019 08:45PM
....is it the dry...season....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Carm
Date: August 18, 2019 09:10PM
From Best Buy review:
“Odd energy saver button
Posted 1 month ago.Owned for 2 months when reviewed.
The dryer is great if u turn off the energy saver button. Makes no sense in trying to save energy when you have to keep the machine on 3 times as long to dry something that could take 41 mins when on regular cycle and not energy savings . So where is the energy savings when you have to use electricity for 2 hrs and it’s not really dried ?”
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 18, 2019 09:11PM
Are you drying full loads? If not, the sensor may be getting fooled.
Posted by: Harooneneutics
Date: August 18, 2019 09:17PM
This is also my experience with a (now four-year-old) LG electric dryer -- especially with towels or blankets.

I've never thought the matching LG washer spins out enough water, but it's level and otherwise seems to work OK. So I've just learned to live with it, and my utility bills don't seem way out of line.
Date: August 18, 2019 09:21PM
My LG washer seems to spin fast enough to remove most water, and the LG has drier does not seem to have this nonsense.

FWIW: LG WT7200CW/DLG7201WE GAS SUITE TOP LOAD *COSTCO.COM ONLY*
Date: August 18, 2019 09:21PM
From User Manual:
What I see in the grid is that Energy Saver is on by Default on almost every setting.
Page 40/41
Energy Saver
This option helps to reduce the energy consumption of the Normal Cycle, depending on the load size. When the Energy Saver option is selected, the cycle begins with an air dry section and the drying time is increased.

Default On/Off
This option allows the Energy Saver settings to be changed. To run a Normal cycle without the Energy Saver option, press and hold the Energy Saver button for three seconds. ON or OFF appears in the display

[gscs-b2c.lge.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2019 09:22PM by Carm.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 18, 2019 09:51PM
depending on the load size.

And that's the key.

Through in a polyester shirt and a couple of pieces of the better half's lingerie and the energy saver does it's job.

Through in more items, and of a more substantial material, and the energy saver works against you.

Keep it off always or use Very Dry always, and adjust time accordingly or trust the 'Dry' sensor, if there is one.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 18, 2019 10:10PM
you don't dry leather thongs in a dryer. fyi.
Date: August 18, 2019 10:17PM
Racer X

smiley-laughing001
Date: August 18, 2019 10:44PM
Racer X

THEN WHY DOES IT HAVE A LEATHER THONGS SETTING

Date: August 18, 2019 10:58PM
Oh, you must have the "fetish and frills" edition. I believe it has a "sequin and lace" setting too.
Date: August 18, 2019 10:58PM
Oh, you must have the "fetish and frottage" edition. I believe it has a "sequin and lace" setting too.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 18, 2019 11:05PM
Our W/D are semi basic Kenmores, about 9 years old... and still seem to work fine.

But *every* time the dryer takes way too long for her I get an earful about how we need new ones cause they dryer "doesnt work

I just shrug it off. =)

If the washer did have a ctastrphic metdown it wouldnt kill me to get a new W/D, but hate to do it for no reason.

So now I get to tell her new Dryers do the same!!!

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
idc...
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: August 19, 2019 07:49AM
Check your Dryer Vent. peace

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: BernDog
Date: August 19, 2019 08:24AM
Legit question… What does “Very Dry” even mean? Either your clothes are dry or they aren’t. If they’re not completely dry, it seems like that’d be an invitation for mildew. I could see something like that on a dishwasher, but the option seems odd for a clothes dryer. Obviously it’s a thing, since everyone seems to be familiar with it, but I’ve never bought/used a “fancy” dryer, so I’ve never come across that.
Re: idc...
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 19, 2019 08:28AM
Matt,

No issues with our LG gas dryer. However, you didn't provide any details about the stuff you're drying and how you're loading the machine. All that makes a difference in performance. That and it sounds lie you're relying on pre-programmed settings. Honestly, it's asking for issues. There are some things that will definitely contribute problems to proper drying.

The first is too much clothing in the dryer at once. You need to leave room for the clothing to tumble properly during the drying process. All the sensors in the world do squat if a dryer is overfilled.

The second is clothing that is mashed and/or knotted together. You might have to stop the dryer and untangle and spread out clothing and start it again. Very common issue with long clothing like jeans and items like towels. Sensors can't deal with this kind of situation.

The third is assuming a sensor system will actually function well. Biggest mistake. Run a cycle using one of the sensor systems. If the clothing needs a few more minutes, choose appropriate manual settings and run the machine again.

Robert
Date: August 19, 2019 09:39AM
I had a blanket and a towel in the dryer. It was not a large load.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 19, 2019 09:45AM
mattkime
I had a blanket and a towel in the dryer. It was not a large load.

I dont have to tell her that...

WHiiP
Check your Dryer Vent. peace

Its clear.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2019 11:23AM by jdc.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 19, 2019 09:47AM
Matt,

That explains quite a bit. You should have mentioned this in your initial post. A blanket is exactly the kind of item that isn't going to dry well with sensor or preprogrammed drying. In my experience, drying a blanket requires you to pause the drying process, rearrange the blanket and start it again. you may need to do this multiple times. If you didn't do that then your dryer ain't going to do the job well. Doesn't matter what kind. Consumer. Commercial. Manual program. Sensor program. Preprogrammed setting. You name it.

Robert
Posted by: 3d
Date: August 19, 2019 10:21AM
My LG dryer has a "Bulky" setting for blankets and towels.
Try that next time.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: August 19, 2019 10:32AM
With our LG electric dryer, if I want a no wrinkles cycle, I just use the perma-press cycle. if I put our towels or bathroom rugs in, I use the manual extra-dry option with the cotton cycle. Both work perfectly.
Date: August 19, 2019 11:51PM
Did you turn off the Default Energy Saver Setting?

We have a 3 year old Whirlpool front loading. No Energy Saver Settings and no problems drying anything.
Posted by: qdog2
Date: August 20, 2019 03:27AM
My one year old LG Dryer has to be set to very dry also. Been like that from day one. I don't find it to be a problem.

Portsmouth, Va
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018