advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do you figure things better reading about them or doing them?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 19, 2019 08:48PM
I'm solidly in the Doing it crowd. I spent a few hours reading up about AC electrical wiring as I needed to redo a bunch of lighting circuits to have the power coming into the switch box instead of the light box. Gained an understanding of how it worked but couldn't draw it out. Ended up just going to the basement and started doing the wiring working from the panel to the switch to the lights. Made perfect sense as I did it, no idea why I couldn't figure it out in my head and get it on paper.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do you figure things better reading about them or doing them?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 19, 2019 09:00PM
Doing. Although YouTube helps me a lot.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 19, 2019 09:07PM
Trick question. For most complicated tasks I read up as much as I can and then I start doing, which helps e figure out the bits of the reading that I didn't understand.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Golfer
Date: August 19, 2019 09:08PM
Combo of the two. I can tell from operations at our ammonia plant, you can study tell your blue in the face to get an understanding but when the @#$%& hits the fan it's a true test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2019 09:08PM by Golfer.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: August 19, 2019 09:42PM
Doing. I'm curious to hear from someone who understands it better by reading about it.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 19, 2019 10:32PM
M A V I C
Doing. I'm curious to hear from someone who understands it better by reading about it.

I don’t know but that is how we teach in schools. Reading and paper, very little doing.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: August 19, 2019 10:46PM
davester
Trick question. For most complicated tasks I read up as much as I can and then I start doing, which helps e figure out the bits of the reading that I didn't understand.

Same here. Read to get a feel for the principles and goals, then when I’m doing, the reading let’s me more easily figure out problems and workarounds since I know what each goal is.
Date: August 19, 2019 10:50PM
C(-)ris
M A V I C

I don’t know but that is how we teach in schools. Reading and paper, very little doing.

Yeah, but that's been largely proven to be ineffective.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 19, 2019 10:57PM
Read then do a bit. Then read some more. Maybe make a sketch. Then do some more.

Or just grab tools and start working like a monkey on crack...
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 19, 2019 11:21PM
Read, then visualize, then do.

Posted by: vision63
Date: August 20, 2019 01:36AM
Doing. There isn't enough documentation or instruction that's done well enough to be fully comprehended in general. Once you start to figure it out, then reading about it helps.
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 20, 2019 05:20AM
I'm a reading guy. But, I used to be a college professor.

When we first bought a house in 1981 it didn't have a dishwasher and no place to put one. And the dining room was bigger than we needed. And we didn't have any money. So, I made a deal with my wife that I'd give it a shot--expanding the kitchen and building new cabinets and installing them and the dishwasher. If she was unhappy at any step I'd hire it done. I read for months and planned and then started by building the cabinet boxes. Those are easy and were fine, so she was happy. I figured I wouldn't be able to build cabinet doors and so I found some pre-made wood shutters that were exactly the right size and my wife liked as cabinet doors. Done. Then I tore out the wall and rebuilt it 2 feet over. Learning to do sheetrock was a chore. I finally realized that messing with sheetrock compound, trying to make it perfect, was dumb-get it ok without any major ridges and then sand it down after it's dry. And repeat--I typically do 4 coats rather than 3. So, I can do sheetrock that looks great. Electrical took me a long time to read about enough to be confident that it would be ok. I took a lot of pictures of the various parts and outlets before I took them apart, labelled them all and then was able to redo them without a problem. Plumbing just wasn't a problem for me; I can sweat joints with the best of any amateur. We put vinyl on the floor of that kitchen and I laid out a full sized pattern with grocery bags, taped it all together and then used it to transfer the cuts to the new stuff. Turned out fine. We put in a countertop that was tile. Again, that just made sense to me and so it looked fine. When all was said and done it turned out well. The people who eventually bought the house apparently didn't have any "amateur" comments about it when they bought the place. I spent a lot of time reading about all of the parts and then did it. I would go into a supply store and ask for things using terminology from the books; the counter guys often wouldn't have any idea what I was talking about but together we figured out what I needed--I usually brought the book with me so they could look at a part and tell me the common name. I've continued to do handyman work in the years since but rarely do I have to read about it anymore. The most recent thing I read about was laying brick so that I could put in a locking mailbox in a brick in a brick column. When I got to doing it, it took me a day and a half to actually put the column together; the guy down the street is a contractor and stopped by. He told me that he started by laying brick and it was sure taking me a long time but that my lines and joints were about perfect. I liked that!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 20, 2019 06:19AM
....If you want a do-right-all-day woman (woman)
You've got to be a do-right-all-night man (man)............

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: August 20, 2019 12:00PM
I start by just doing a job. If I run into a glitch, I try to find info that might get me past the roadblock. If all else fails, I know enough people who are handy and will give them a call for advice or physical help.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 20, 2019 12:01PM
Read, then Do, I really need both. Our kids' schools do the same with lots of reading but also lots of doing.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 20, 2019 12:29PM
....if you do......have you ever do.....do'd....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davester
Date: August 20, 2019 06:12PM
I have found that when it comes to repairing or building things, people who jump in and do without first learning (by reading) how it is supposed to be done, invariable screw things up. There are often a lot of subtleties to doing something that are not apparent to amateurs wading in without the proper knowledge that result in bad quality work if not understood. I have frequently run into non-code and even dangerous repairs that were conducted by the prior owner of my house who was a "do", not a "read" guy. Hopefully I've now found and fixed the last of his disastrously amateurish repairs.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: August 20, 2019 07:17PM
When I read the responses, I think we have different perspectives on what it means to "figure it out". Sure I read to learn, but I don't usually figure it out until I do it. For example, I just overhauled a suspension fork. I read up on it, but there were many things I didn't "figure it out" until doing it. (Eg, removing a spring clip that was different than in the service manual.)

Fasteners are this way. You can read how to release one, but you often don't truly figure them out until you do it. Any sport is like this as well. No one reads a book or watches a video on shooting a basketball and then steps up and sinks a high percentage of shots. You figure it out by making a lot of shots.

It's why real world experience is more important than book smarts for most jobs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2019 07:18PM by M A V I C.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 271
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018