The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Showerheads
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 20, 2019 11:18PM
Poll
What style showerhead do you prefer?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
47 votes were received.
Hand showerhead 22

47%
Normal showerhead 20

43%
Other (post below) 5

10%

n/t
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Showerheads
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 21, 2019 12:15AM
Look at the Oxygenics models before you decide; they provide a very good shower experience.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 21, 2019 01:04AM
My favorite massage shower head is a wall mount. It's a 15 year old model that doesn't seem to be made any more. As good as it is, I prefer a hand held one for daily use.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 21, 2019 04:58AM
Hand held wand that also mounts on the pipe stub mimicking a fixed shower head.

I hate, hate, hate the diffuse ‘rain forest’ type shower heads, rather I like the tighter spray. Nor do I like the adjustable heads that can stream, pulse, whatever; just one more thing to fail.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 21, 2019 06:05AM
....the rain ones [ those are the ones that buyers like and if you plan at any point to sell your hours no matter how far in the future, it will increase the value of the home ].........good 'heads can be hard to find.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 21, 2019 07:11AM
Hi everyone,

Hand shower all the way. I despise plain ol' fixed showerheads. Our master bathroom has an older Hansgrohe Raindance model. Works well. Our second bathroom has a Waterpik model. Works well. One big difference between the two is the weight of the showerhead. The Waterpik is much heavier. Both have multiple settings for plain shower, massage, raindrops, etc. We rarely change settings.

If I had to choose between them, I prefer the Raindance model. Is it the one I'd choose if I needed to replace it? Don't know. I'd have to check out competitors since there are a ton of them out there. Wirecutter.com likes the Moen Extract:

[www.homedepot.com]

Note, these are aftermarket installations. Meaning, you take off the old fixed showerhead and replace it with the aftermarket handshower system, which usually consists of a mount, hose and handshower itself. Usually a DYI five minute installation. This is entirely different than if you're redoing the bathroom and installing a handshower system that mounts to a bar, with a hose that attaches to the wall, etc.

In Matt's case, it sounds like he's replacing an existing fixed showerhead, which is the easy, five-minute DYI job. There are a ton of different hand showers out there. Some are definitely better than others. The price range varies.

And, despite what Newton said, installing an aftermarket hand shower isn't going to have any impact on the value of a home. There are definitely things you can do to increase a home's value. Installing an aftermarket, hand shower that is a mount attached to the existing showerhead pipe with a hose and a hand shower itself is positively not one of them.

Robert
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 21, 2019 07:16AM
whichever, just made of metal not plastic, if one can find an affordable one.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: August 21, 2019 07:26AM
I bought one of these for our master bath. It made a world of difference...

[www.takeashower.com]

Posted by: pinion
Date: August 21, 2019 07:50AM
My showerhead has both and I like it. Either one or both can be turned off so I usually leave the hand one off until I want to use it so I get more flow through the mounted shower head.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: dk62
Date: August 21, 2019 08:12AM
Moen magnetix. The best solution I ever found.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 21, 2019 08:14AM
You're going to be hosing down muddy kids and maybe critters for years. I like this model very much- the magnetic holder works quite well and is easy to pull down and put back up.
[www.homedepot.com]
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 21, 2019 08:27AM
Unimaginative low-flow wall mount works for me. KISS principle.
Posted by: 3d
Date: August 21, 2019 08:53AM
Why choose one when you can have both?

Posted by: pdq
Date: August 21, 2019 09:02AM
It would be nice if any were available in gold (color), since that was all the rage when we built our house and chose our shower pipe color 25 years ago.
Date: August 21, 2019 09:20AM
Bazooka,

Had one from Water Management. Nice, high quality unit but the spray proved too powerful. The return process was a pain. Water Management was very bad about it. The whole process ended up being a pain. Would definitely consider another if I lived in a home whose bathroom had a weak water pressure.

Robert
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 21, 2019 09:37AM
The Water Management shower head that bazookaman linked looks a lot like my favorite wall mounted shower head. Maybe they bought the company that used to make mine. A hand held version would be great but I don't really need a new one at the moment.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 21, 2019 10:19AM
We have five heads in our shower.

Two fixed and two wands and one, big rainfall head in the middle.

Never use the rainfall one.

Like having the wand, though.

Recently got this to replace my fixed head:

[www.amazon.com]

Removable flow restriction.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: August 21, 2019 10:31AM
pdq
It would be nice if any were available in gold (color), since that was all the rage when we built our house and chose our shower pipe color 25 years ago.

They're still made:
[www.homedepot.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 21, 2019 10:43AM
We ordered this simple but nice Kohler model. Choose your stream. Don't care for the hand held versions since you have the hose and I rarely use the functionality.

Replaced an apparently 30 year old hand held model that sat at about five foot six so I had to replace the shower head arm as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2019 10:44AM by mattkime.
Date: August 21, 2019 11:25AM
mattkime
Don't care for the hand held... I rarely use the functionality.

But it's not all about just you anymore. Bookmark the handheld, you'll need it in the near future thumbs up
Posted by: Bixby
Date: August 21, 2019 12:00PM
I'm not a fan of hoses, just don't use them, but they are nice if you want to help clean of kids in the tub.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 21, 2019 01:06PM
Bixby
I'm not a fan of hoses, just don't use them, but they are nice if you want to help clean of kids in the tub.

Plus cleaning the shower/tub itself; makes the work go all the quicker.

It's spelled " y'all "

Posted by: Cary
Date: August 21, 2019 02:24PM
bazookaman
I bought one of these for our master bath. It made a world of difference...

[www.takeashower.com]

They make great showerheads.
Date: August 21, 2019 02:35PM
3d,

Exactly. In a family, it isn't just about one person. It's about each member. My wife isn't so much a fan of handheld showers. She does fine with a regular fixed showerhead and only uses our hand shower as a hand shower when she feels like it. I love them. Easiest way to rinse off hard to reach places.

A handheld shower comes in handy for a slew of tasks. It makes cleaning and rinsing tubs much easier. Same goes for filling a bucket for other tasks. One of the best things about a hand shower is that you use it as a hand shower only when you want to do so. Otherwise, a handshower serves as a dandy standard showerhead.

Little M still takes baths. Gonna have to work on standing safely in the tub for a shower. And, believe you me, that's when a hand shower is going to come in handy! I'm dreading the day she manages to get it out of my hand and sprays the entire bathroom with it.

Robert
Date: August 21, 2019 03:17PM
Robert M
Little M still takes baths. Gonna have to work on standing safely in the tub for a shower. And, believe you me, that's when a hand shower is going to come in handy! I'm dreading the day she manages to get it out of my hand and sprays the entire bathroom with it.

Robert

My older kid's transition from supervised bath, to supervised handheld, to supervised shower, to unsupervised shower has been a very wet soaking journey. There were times when it seemed like waterboarding! Sheesh! Haha. As with most everything in this parenting journey, the second kid is easier. thumbs up Although the handheld (and hose) was not as asthetically pleasing in our newly redone bathroom, it was sooo much more convenient having one.
Posted by: J Marston
Date: August 21, 2019 04:59PM
Best low-flow:

[www.amazon.com]

Best lowish flow:

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: artie67
Date: August 21, 2019 08:58PM
Here's a rain style one that we chose to replace the existing.
[www.amazon.com]

Rain heads are designed to deliver a soft rain shower. All the guest that we have had enjoyed the result to the change.

The arch shower arm I used was Purelux high arch shower arm.
Really good chrome over copper core. At Amazon also.
Posted by: davester
Date: August 23, 2019 01:58AM
mattkime
Don't care for the hand held versions since you have the hose and I rarely use the functionality.

TMI man! I can't understand why the forum nanny filter didn't catch this.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 234
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018