advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
take this job and shove it?!.....if you have ever left a 'bad' job, did you give notice....?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 22, 2019 11:06AM
Poll
left bad job, did you give 2 weeks notice?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
35 votes were received.
yes. it's the proper thing to do 21

60%
no. got out as soon as possible 12

34%
maybe. not really sure 2

6%

....did you give 2 weeks notice [ if you have never, would you? ].......???

....I mean a really bad job [ toxic environment ].....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2019 11:39AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: leaves of grass?!.....if you have ever left a 'bad' job....
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: August 22, 2019 11:11AM
I'm very curious to hear other's experience here... I'm dealing with the same issue (toxic corporate culture) and just biding my time until I leave. I don't want to give two weeks, but everything you read says you should. I'd prefer to just walk out, but thinking that I should at least give 1 week.

~A
Re: take this job and shove it?!.....if you have ever left a 'bad' job....
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 22, 2019 11:13AM
Didn't have to.

I reached my discharge date and was shipped home.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 22, 2019 11:13AM
....have read that there is no law that says you have to give 2 weeks......it is more of an etiquette thing.....the other thing is if you need a reference don't burn bridges [ but chances are you won't get reference from bad place anyway ].....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2019 11:14AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 22, 2019 11:24AM
I offered to wrap up my work but I was essentially whisked out the door. It was perfect.

IMO, unless you’re being threatened you might as well take the high road.

Posted by: TLB
Date: August 22, 2019 11:43AM
Once. Worked one day and it was so horrid I just never went back. Pre-degree manual labor in a filthy environment. Co-workers weren't a redeeming factor, they were surly and suspicious. In the big picture, no harm, no foul, just a lost day's wages.
Re: take this job and shove it?!.....if you have ever left a 'bad' job, did you give notice....?
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: August 22, 2019 11:48AM
Only the first job I ever had. It was totally a ‘throw away’ job.

Never did it again, and it would have to be insane circumstances to even think about doing it again.
Re: take this job and shove it?!.....if you have ever left a 'bad' job, did you give notice....?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: August 22, 2019 11:53AM
I've done both, and under the same circumstances, would do them both again. The one where I just left on the spot, was such an insane place I didn't care about a reference from them. The second one, I gave two weeks, but had decided to quit a year before, and needed the reference to stuff the resume.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 22, 2019 11:58AM
As a professional, I only left one job after getting a better one. Gave notice and all that. As a kid ? Yeah. I walked out of a few jobs. Telemarketing was one I just hung up after being screamed at for the fifth time, and walked out.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 22, 2019 12:04PM
It's a courtesy that some employers don't need. If it's sensitive at all, they'll just say, "Hey, there's the door." But if you're truly miserable and have a new job lined up, you have nothing to lose.
Posted by: rouderon
Date: August 22, 2019 12:34PM
As others have posted, it really depends on the situation. But, I would advise to never burn a bridge unless you're absolutely certain you'll never need to cross it again.

I have an acquaintance who was in the IT field several years ago, and companies he was formerly working for acquired the new companies he eventually moved to. This happened on more than one occasion.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: August 22, 2019 01:49PM
One job left me. The other job I left. I tried to work it out so that they weren’t left in a bind but they wanted to part ways cleanly. I obliged.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: August West
Date: August 22, 2019 02:21PM
There's some entertainment value in letting them know you are moving on to much greener pastures and they are destined to fail due to incompetent management.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: BernDog
Date: August 22, 2019 02:51PM
Only once. I worked for an inventory service during college. Kept at it for a little while after I graduated and got a “real” job. It was fine for a while, but the last day I worked ended up being a 15 hour day, and I only had one 15 minute break. At the end of the job, I just told my manager not to expect me back, and that was it. It wasn’t going to come back and bite me in any way. If it was a position in any kind of career-track field, I wouldn’t have done it that way.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 22, 2019 03:20PM
I have given as much as three week's notice. I may have been furious at management but I've never wanted to screw over my coworkers. I've always been the only person who did my particular job and while of course not irreplaceable, it would be a hardship on whoever had to muck around trying to figure the job out while they search for a replacement. And yeah, that resume thing factored in as well.

Posted by: wurm
Date: August 22, 2019 03:25PM
Simpson household on a Friday

Marge: "Homer, the plant called and said if you don't come in today, don't bother coming in on Monday."
Homer: "Woo hoo! Four-day weekend!"
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: August 22, 2019 05:37PM
I've always given notice. The last job that I was really unhappy at I didn't go in to the office or charge any time the last week I officially worked there. When I went to turn in my badge and sign out I filled out my last timesheet with several days on "unpaid leave," so when they paid off my accrued vacation they wouldn't be able to withhold any benefits costs (I was already working at the next job, my manager at the old job knew about all this ahead of time).

After the fact I found out that Payroll had flipped, called my manager and told him he had to get me to come back and charge regular vacation time because that unpaid leave hadn't been pre-approved. "Good luck," he told them (he's a good guy), "'cause he is gone."

That was the last I ever heard of it, they paid off the leave just as I'd planned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2019 08:10AM by Will Collier.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: August 22, 2019 07:24PM
I have been laid off a few times and, I think, fired once or twice.

I was not given a two week notice in any of those instances.

=wr=
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 22, 2019 07:32PM
after 17 years at old job, I stumbled into an opportunity at a well managed well fund startup that gave me 40% more and lost more benefits (cheaper healthcare, stock options). I gave 4 weeks notice. spouse also worked there (and she still works) and I didn't want to burn any bridges. They told me I could come back anytime (but I am not sure if they really mean it).

The first 2 weeks I worked out a transition plan with the guy who took over. The last 2 weeks they left me alone and I got more design and analysis work done that I did in the previous 6 months, because they didn't bother me with meetings and other non-sense.

But I think 4 weeks notice was a little too much. Looking back, I should have given them 2 weeks notice.

And no, it was not a toxic job. I just wanted to try something else, and for 40% more who could say no?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 23, 2019 11:11AM
yes, left my last gig because it was clear the new person who was hired immediately saw me as a threat. started making up all sorts of completely whacked out issues to confront me over, 90% of which happened prior to her being hired. it was insane and almost comical (in hindsight, anyway), so I gave two weeks' notice and never looked back. I have a feeling she has sabotaged me when seeking references for other jobs I mysteriously never got an offer on after being a finalist. so, perhaps I would have handled it differently and stuck it out for a few more months, but coworkers later confided that i was correct and she was an awful manager, and a complete slacker when it came to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018