advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
what to do about pain meds these days?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 23, 2019 05:58PM
Now my right hip is going. Left was done Dec 6, 2013. A glorious day. My GP, a nurse-practioner has left the clinic to raise her toddler until school-age. I completely get that. The clinic doesn't get involved in chronic pain issues, and Meghan isn't there to be an advocate anymore.

Now what? I'm on just about the highest dosage of the strongest prescription NSAID, but barely knocks the edge off when I get lancing bolts of pain.

I don't want to appear to be doc shopping to score pills.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: what to do about pain meds these days?
Posted by: modelamac
Date: August 23, 2019 06:03PM
Fix the source.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 23, 2019 06:06PM
Dr. Dunkel Webb?
==
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 23, 2019 07:02PM
Pain management, alas.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 23, 2019 07:09PM
Fix it. Life is too short to be stuck on pain meds and not doing fun stuff.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 23, 2019 07:25PM
I have seen articles saying that ibuprofen and acetaminophen taken together works well. Google it to get the right dosage.
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 23, 2019 08:21PM
Have you tried working with a GOOD acupuncturist?
Date: August 23, 2019 08:38PM
testcase
Have you tried working with a GOOD acupuncturist?

yes. It helped a bit with my neck injuries, but not the failing hip joint. Bone on bone with ridges by the feel of it.

The pain meds are to buy me time until we get things sorted out from my partner's emergency brain surgery on an interior corotid artery aneurysm. Yes, a widowmaker. They found it by accident too. Wiped out any cushion we had. But she is alive and mostly well. Mucking around in someone's head is never without side effects.
Date: August 23, 2019 08:43PM
$2/mg (& up) of hydrocodone, or $4/mg (& up) of oxycodone from the corner wholesale distributor, according to recent local TV news report, in the parts of town that specialize in such distribution. News report also suggests this is possibly a dangerous activity to participate in. YMMV.
cool smiley
==
Posted by: JoeM
Date: August 23, 2019 08:52PM
Pain is very different for everyone so a good pain management doc is a good place to start. I would get yourself into PT, possibly aquatic PT. After a pretty severe episode of torn lumbar ligaments and worn out facet joints due to arthritis I’ve spent about 2 years in both land and aquatic PT. My condition is inoperable, PT being the only road for me and while it has been slow, I’m making progress. My pain is constant, and my only option is to burn the nerves away in my spine. This will give me 6 months to a year of relief before they grow back.

I use a TENs unit to keep the pain down. For me, it’s a necessity. You might want to try one. I use this one, which I can slip in my pants pocket and wear all day. I also use ice after my PT which helps bring the pain down.
[www.amazon.com]

I take 200 MG of Celebrex daily. I’m prescribed for 400 MG but only take one pill in the morning because I’ve been in it way too long, around 13 years. I see plenty of people in rehab with knee and hip replacements and PT and the other methods I mentioned seems to get them into recovery.

Hope you can get some relief, good luck!

JoeM
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: August 23, 2019 09:16PM
Buzz
$2/mg (& up) of hydrocodone, or $4/mg (& up) of oxycodone from the corner wholesale distributor, according to recent local TV news report, in the parts of town that specialize in such distribution. News report also suggests this is possibly a dangerous activity to participate in. YMMV.
cool smiley
==
In my town the dealers mixed it with Fentanyl. And kept score of the addicts they murdered. Laughing about it. Also how the kid who crashed my kid's car finally died.
Posted by: Jerry®
Date: August 23, 2019 09:22PM
modelamac
Fix the source.

Agreed, but in the meantime if your pain is a 9-10 go to the ER. I hate how the opioid epidemic leaves those in real need of pain meds out in the cold.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 23, 2019 10:09PM
Good luck.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: August 24, 2019 12:24AM
I was very responsible 6 years ago, now I am treated like a suspect.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: August 24, 2019 06:36AM
I'm allergic to NSAIDs and some opiates, so I second the TENS recommendation. It's gotten me through broken bones paired with only Tylenol. Lidocaine patches have been helpful, too.
Posted by: jims
Date: August 24, 2019 06:42AM
Good luck,
My wife has chronic pain from nerve as well back and neck issues. She had been on tramadol for about two years. She has taken it just as needed and it really only takes the edge off when the pain gets bad. Up until last year there was no problem. Then the DEA got involved in what the dr. can do, So they started making her go to dr. to get renewal every month. About 2 months ago they made her take a drug test and sign a drug contract, telling her if they found any other drugs she would be cut off forever. An example they gave her was, if she went to ER for her back and they gave her a script for hydrocodine, if she filled it they would cut her off her tramadol. Then a month later she was called and told they medical group would no longer be filling any opioid scripts for anyone.
Hope you have a better experence. Living in pain that can't be fixed sucks.
jims
Posted by: Mr645
Date: August 24, 2019 07:47AM
I would guess you have tried various OTC meds. Example for me Motrin and Aleve seem to work pretty well, but Percocet does not work any better then those two OTC meds for me.

Now my father has bad knees, bone on bone but has been doing well using Oxy. 7.5mg and he can play 18 holes of golf. Go bike riding, swimming etc. So for a several years his orthopedic dr kept writing scripts and dad taking 2 or 3 pills per week as needed. Then he stopped, referred him to a pain management doctor. Fortunately ( sort of) he also had a heart condition and sees a cardiologist who has been writing the Oxy script now. So for over ten years he has been using the 7.5 Oxy 2 or 3 times per week with no noticeable effects.

Politicians need to realize that a vast majority of people in need to narcotic pain meds will never feel any addiction for those meds and they can make their lives much better
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: August 24, 2019 08:27AM
Ask your doctor about alternative pain management, such as TENS.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Date: August 24, 2019 12:15PM
cbelt3
Buzz
cool smiley
==

In my town the dealers mixed it with Fentanyl. And kept score of the addicts they murdered. Laughing about it. Also how the kid who crashed my kid's car finally died.

I was mostly kidding (as to being a practical solution), but AFAIK, we're in a decent area, fairly far from the corners highlighted in the TV news report. I'm sure there's a Fentanyl issue, too, but the report focused on Rx opioids, and named a few states/cities where the street prices were double/triple/quadruple what they found here. TV version of click bait.

Palliative, or any type of relief from chronic pain is appreciated. Each person is different, so ya gotta find what works for you. It sucks that we have an opioid "crisis", but as soon as they invent, and release the addiction quashing pill, or figure out how to turn off the addiction gene, there won't be a "crisis". We have a very sick friend, who has been Mr. Anti Drug, like forever... then recently while still living on borrowed time; he's a good 3 or 4 years past his expiration date (and down to 112#, from close to 200# at 6' 2"), he discovered the wicked weed, and is choosing to spend his remaining days embracing herbiculture. As a classic, legit candidate for opioids, what he needs to take the edge off is more than he can tolerate and still function. His new assortment of herbal creams, edibles, and inhalibles.

OTOH, he keeps getting new motivators and setting new goals to keep himself ticking loke a Timex watch. After their last dog died about a year ago, that was supposed to be it for canines. Yep, new puppy about a month ago. Don't know what'll work for Racer X, maybe another old Buick GN to work on, but evidently staying occupied, and focused on stuff that distracts you from the chronic pain can be helpful.
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 192
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018