advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I need a new dishwasher. Please tell me any good or bad stories you may have about dishwasher choices
Posted by: chopper
Date: August 26, 2019 05:54PM
Well, my dishwasher has given up the ghost after 10 years of perhaps the hardest city water in Minnesota.

We're going to replace the soft water system at the same time.

Anyone purchased a dishwasher recently that they are super happy with? Make, model?

The last three in this place have been Sears units ... def not going that way again.

An appliance repair guy I know was of little help but he did say "if it is full of sensors, RUN!".
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I need a new dishwasher. Please tell me any good or bad stories you may have about dishwasher choices
Posted by: deckeda
Date: August 26, 2019 06:05PM
Last one I bought was a Maytag from craigslist for $40. Guy removed it from a remodel job at some rental place that didn't see much use. All electronic (no knob). I know nothing about it but it runs.

These things tend to be pretty easy to install; I'd look for a used one again in a heartbeat, so long as it's from a remodel or something else indicating that it wasn't abandoned/broken. Owning a pickup truck helps, but you could rent one and still come out financially ahead.
Re: I need a new dishwasher. Please tell me any good or bad stories you may have about dishwasher choices
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: August 26, 2019 06:10PM
Think about how you use your dishwasher - full loads or small loads? run daily or every other day, or weekly, or holidays only? Heated dry or air dry? Noise level?

answer those questions plus any other you believe relevant. Then find the Whirlpool that meets those specs.

Me? I run it pretty much holidays only with a full load, then let it air dry, noise isn't an issue as we are not open concept (though my $400 Whirlpool is so quiet I can't tell if it is running)

In short - Whirlpool is the best bang for your dollar and reliable

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 26, 2019 06:10PM
Our dishwasher didn't finish the damn dishes last night. And it looks suspiciously like me.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 26, 2019 07:13PM
We just got a KithenAid from Costco. More quiet but also takes significantly longer than the old GE. Also the lower rack seems less efficient (space-wise) the the old unit.
Posted by: Frank
Date: August 26, 2019 07:29PM
Asko. I put one in our new home 22 years ago because it was the quietest one available at that time and because it's stainless steel in and out. Still works fine.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 26, 2019 08:12PM
gotta have a stainless tub.
Date: August 26, 2019 08:26PM
Frank
Asko. I put one in our new home 22 years ago because it was the quietest one available at that time and because it's stainless steel in and out. Still works fine.

Do they still make them like that and how much do they cost these days?
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 26, 2019 08:40PM
There have been several threads on this the past year.

We love our Bosch because it actually washes dishes. Doesn’t dry them so well, but it’s still - CLEAN.

Ours had the built-in softener, seems to help too.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: August 26, 2019 09:09PM
Be careful with the Bosch's. You have to actively clean the filters every week or so. Or, the dishes get flaky stuff all over them. I learned that the hard way, and had to take apart the dishwasher trays to clean them all off. Now I try to do it once a week, but frankly, I get busy and forget. I started noticing flaking going on again. Back to cleaning the filter. Oi.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: August 26, 2019 09:32PM
Spiff
Be careful with the Bosch's. You have to actively clean the filters every week or so. Or, the dishes get flaky stuff all over them. I learned that the hard way, and had to take apart the dishwasher trays to clean them all off. Now I try to do it once a week, but frankly, I get busy and forget. I started noticing flaking going on again. Back to cleaning the filter. Oi.

Must be your water. I've never cleaned a filter ever on our Bosch. Keep the rinse aid full and make sure to open the door when it is done to let it finish air drying.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Spiff
Date: August 26, 2019 10:00PM
dunno smiley
Posted by: BernDog
Date: August 26, 2019 10:25PM
Ombligo
Think about how you use your dishwasher - full loads or small loads? run daily or every other day, or weekly, or holidays only? Heated dry or air dry? Noise level?

answer those questions plus any other you believe relevant. Then find the Whirlpool that meets those specs.

Me? I run it pretty much holidays only with a full load, then let it air dry, noise isn't an issue as we are not open concept (though my $400 Whirlpool is so quiet I can't tell if it is running)

In short - Whirlpool is the best bang for your dollar and reliable

If you decide to go this way, don’t not check out the Whirlpool Outlet [outlet.whirlpool.com]

Had a great experience with them and got a great deal a couple years ago.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: August 26, 2019 10:29PM
Didn't chime in on S-T's earlier thread as not to be a downer on KA, but we had a great lower end Bosch for 4-6 years before remodeling and replacing it with a $1000+ KA Stainless Model that caused us nothing but trouble for 12+ years. That's a great life-span, but it was repaired about 8 times, and it never got anything very clean. It actually broke on it's initial use because of what the plumber described as a failure in a 50 cent part that led to a leak that warped our new wood floor. YMMV of course, but a friend had the same model from the same time period and encountered many of the same issues. The door weight/pulley system was a real gem. After the second failure we just lived with having to lower the door manually. Easy enough to get used to, but you forget when a friend or relative is over and the heavy door drops and scares the living daylights out of them.

We eventually replaced it with an equally expensive Bosch that cleans so much better. I'm happy with it, but I'll stop short of recommending it because it's not the most intuitive thing to operate. Well...I can do it, but the other family members sometimes struggle to get it to start, and they often open it before the cycle is complete. The little red light on the floor seems like a good idea in theory, but…

Almost all appliance brands have their issues, so it may not be fair to pile on KA, but we've had two kitchens full of their higher end stuff, and I can't say I'd recommend any of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2019 10:36PM by datbeme.
Posted by: Frank
Date: August 26, 2019 10:29PM
space-time
Frank

Do they still make them like that and how much do they cost these days?

Well, I just searched for Asko and I guess things have changed since I bought ours. Used to be a Swedish company but now from Slovenia! Price is now pretty high ... around $1450. Whew!
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 26, 2019 10:55PM
C(-)ris
Spiff

Must be your water. I've never cleaned a filter ever on our Bosch. Keep the rinse aid full and make sure to open the door when it is done to let it finish air drying.

Our experience, too. We have the built-in softener, have to add salt about once a year.
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 26, 2019 11:21PM
IMHO -- Id decide on your budget, go to wherever, and buy what you like.

Sadly, for every "XXXX is the greatest!" you are gonna find a "XXXX sucks!" comment right behind it.

We bought a Fridgedaire to match our fridge. Everything I read didnt seem to indicate a stainless tub was leaps and bounds better, some even didnt like effect it had while drying.

Mine is a plastic tub, maybe $400. Seems to work just fine. Tons of settings, but we always just use the same one. It sounds like any other diswasher Ive ever heard while running, which is kinda moot since we load it and run it in the dead of the night.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 27, 2019 03:11AM
Very happy with our Bosch

Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 27, 2019 07:25AM
Whirlpool kitchen aid

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: August 27, 2019 10:42AM
Significant Other
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: August 27, 2019 10:57AM
I clean the filter on our Bosch every few months and I've never had that problem. I usually run the thing at night before going to bed, so it's not that either.

We're pretty happy with it. An upside down coffee mug will have a little water in the dimple but it's hardly a deal breaker. What is annoying though, is the computer is borked. It ran fine for ten years but now, half the time, it throws up an error code in the first couple minutes. I can prevent it by opening the door 45-60 seconds after starting the cycle and closing it. It's not enough to make me go out and buy a new dishwasher. And when I finally do, I expect it'll be another Bosch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2019 10:58AM by Mike Johnson.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: August 27, 2019 01:05PM
Lew Zealand
Our dishwasher didn't finish the damn dishes last night. And it looks suspiciously like me.
You may still be under warranty, Lew. Check your papers.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: Z
Date: August 27, 2019 01:24PM
Been happy with my Bosch. Key criteria on mine are A. Cleans Dishes and B. Quiet. Keeping the rinse aid topped up and taking a quick peek at the screen from time to time (esp after a large, extra crusty load) and it just plugs along.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018