advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
SpaceX "StarHopper" test vehicle test flight - you'll believe a water tower can fly!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 27, 2019 07:03PM
She flew!

No confirmation on altitude, but the video looked very nice and smooth on launch, hover, sideways translation, and landing!

This will probably conclude the StarHopper's flight life, as the two Starship Prototypes (Mk I in Texas, and Mk II in Florida) are being built at a VERY rapid rate, and may fly as early as spring.

StarHopper will likely be converted to an on-site engine test stand in Boca Chica, to reduce the number of engines they need to test at McGregor, TX. After all, a Starship and Superheavy combo need more than 40 engines between them, and each one needs "hot fire" testing!

[www.youtube.com]

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: SpaceX "StarHopper" test vehicle test flight - you'll believe a water tower can fly!
Date: August 27, 2019 07:11PM
And as a PS... I'm imagining a lot of celebrating in Hawthorne, CA, and Boca Chica, Texas.... AND a lot of beer flowing at the "water tank construction company" that build StarHopper's shell!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Re: SpaceX "StarHopper" test vehicle test flight - you'll believe a water tower can fly!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 27, 2019 07:31PM
Awesome!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 27, 2019 07:40PM
Very functional, I'm sure, but it reminded me of watching a '40s-'50s sci-fi flick.

Still very cool!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 27, 2019 07:48PM
Cool!

Grateful11
Date: August 27, 2019 08:28PM
RAMd®d
Very functional, I'm sure, but it reminded me of watching a '40s-'50s sci-fi flick.

Still very cool!

You think the "Hopper" is cool? Within a month, possibly within WEEKS, the full sized Starship MK I or MK II (depending on which team gets their done first!) is going to be on it's assembly stand.

It's gonna look cooler than anything we've ever launched!

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: August 27, 2019 09:06PM
Amazing how loud one engine is....I can't imagine when all 40(?) engines are firing!
Date: August 27, 2019 09:10PM
Carnos Jax
Amazing how loud one engine is....I can't imagine when all 40(?) engines are firing!

That is definitely going to be an issue... I suspect they're going to have to launch from a "milk stool" like they used for the Saturn Ib, and use a water deluge to absorb the vibration.

The string of shock-diamonds in the exhaust at 150 meter altitude was freaking cool, wasn't it? grinning smiley

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 27, 2019 09:12PM
Impressive. It's big, but how heavy is it. How much fuel is actually in that water tower for this short flight.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 28, 2019 06:35AM
wow!
40 engines?? We have to make more methane, lots of methane.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: BernDog
Date: August 28, 2019 08:14AM
Posted by: neophyte
Date: August 28, 2019 09:34AM
Paul F.

That is definitely going to be an issue... I suspect they're going to have to launch from a "milk stool" like they used for the Saturn Ib, and use a water deluge to absorb the vibration.

I thought the "milk stool" for the Saturn 1B was used to raise the capsule to the same height it would be atop the Saturn V, so it would line up with the gantry level used for astronaut ingress. I agree a water curtain will definitely be required.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: August 28, 2019 09:56AM
Date: August 28, 2019 12:59PM
neophyte
I thought the "milk stool" for the Saturn 1B was used to raise the capsule to the same height it would be atop the Saturn V, so it would line up with the gantry level used for astronaut ingress. I agree a water curtain will definitely be required.

That was it's primary function, and what it was built for...
But they also discovered "Hey, with it on this thing, it doesn't beat up the bad so bad, or blow hunks of concrete out of the crawlerway!". Kind of a win-win...

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018