advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
divided we fall?!....United airlines joins Delta......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 29, 2019 12:48PM
.....miles no longer expire [ used to expire 18 months ]......most agree that they will now probably 'devalue' the program at some point [ there is always a cost ].....

Starting now, United Airlines’ frequent-flier miles will never expire

United joins Delta, JetBlue is offering lifetime miles for its loyalty members

....Frequent fliers on United Airlines will no longer have to worry about using their award miles before they expire.

The Chicago-based airline announced Wednesday that its MileagePlus reward miles will never expire, effective immediately. Previously, unused miles expired after 18 months if there was no account activity.

“We want to demonstrate to our members that we are committing to them for the long-haul and giving customers a lifetime to use miles is an exceptionally meaningful benefit,” Luc Bondar, United’s president of MileagePlus, said in a statement.

MileagePlus rewards can be used on flights, hotels, in-flight amenities, car rentals and more.

United joins Delta Air Lines , +2.31% and JetBlue Airways, +3.28% with lifetime miles for its loyalty members. American Airlines, +4.88% miles expire after 18 months of inactivity, while Southwest Airlines, +2.05% and Alaska Airlines, +1.96% give members 24 months to use or lose their miles.

United shares, +2.73% are down 1.5% year to date, compared to the S&P 500’s SPX, +1.38% 15% gain in 2019.

good news......but also bad news..........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2019 12:49PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: divided we fall?!....United airlines joins Delta......
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: August 29, 2019 01:20PM
Not really crazy news... as long as you have some activity, they don't expire now. I can't imagine too many folks out there that fly enough to have miles collected enough to use that wouldn't fly at least once every 18 months or be using an awards card that generates miles and that then also counts as activity in these programs.

on the flip side -the infrequent flier, knowing that their points will always be there - that's gotta be worth it in terms of customer satisfaction, etc and at a very low cost to achieve.

Wonder if in the past it had to do with cost of accounting, record keeping, etc.. with stagnant accounts in the old databases. Systems are much better today in general for managing data in general - no reason on that front why this couldn't have happened sooner.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 29, 2019 01:39PM
OWC Larry
Wonder if in the past it had to do with cost of accounting, record keeping, etc.. with stagnant accounts in the old databases. Systems are much better today in general for managing data in general - no reason on that front why this couldn't have happened sooner.

My memory (which is based mostly on American Airlines) is that when these frequent flyer programs first started the miles never expired. And the miles were actually in some way related to miles flown.

Then I think the bean counters at the airlines figured that all of the accumulated miles were a long term expense that kept building over time, so they started the 18 month activity expiration window. That kept the truly "frequent flyers" in the system and got the infrequent ones off of their books. When this switch happened American used to track old and new miles separately in your account, and the old unused miles were referred to as "Miles with no expiration date".

And then more recently the bean counters figured that these "miles" actually have some sort of dollar value when used, but they were handing them out based on distance flown, and it was a bad deal for them on a low cost cross country flight. So they changed the way you earn them from distance to dollars spent (more like a credit card rewards program). Yet people still refer to these "points" as "miles" and they no longer have any relationship to distance.

This new "no expiration" policy will be interesting, I wonder how the bean counters will deal with the long term expense (debt) that they need to keep on the books.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: August 29, 2019 02:51PM
AFTER I lost 89,000 United miles, with no notice.

And now under their new whadjapay? system, flying round trip to Tokyo only nets me 1750 miles.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 29, 2019 03:10PM
OWC Larry
I can't imagine too many folks out there that fly enough to have miles collected enough to use that wouldn't fly at least once every 18 months or be using an awards card that generates miles and that then also counts as activity in these programs.

I'm sure there are people like me that might stop flying an airline for some reason though and then not have activity on that airline. For me, once United started a non-stop flight to Hilo, HI, I stopped flying Hawaiian. But I had enough miles on Hawaiian for a free flight that I never got around to using. And last year, I was too busy at expiration time, so it slipped my mind and I lost the points. I had actually tried to sign up twice for some survey program that would keep my miles active, but I guess it never went through.
Date: August 29, 2019 03:52PM
Where is the origination on that??? best fare deal SFO to Japan shows me 6000+ miles each way... heck - Austin to SFO flight round trip on basic economy still shows about 1800 miles earned round trip direct.

If I lost 89K miles with an airline and they wouldn't give 'em back... I'd probably be done with them. FWIW - I've been really happy flying with United for about the last 5 years since switching to them. I fly what I think is a good bit - but compared to the prior airline, must not have enough for them vs. how United treats me by comparison.

I've only lost miles on Delta - cause I just never fly Delta but once in a blue moon.. think they are a good airline, just not with the routes that work for me... Anyway - 1750 miles for round trip to Tokyo? that can't be from the USA?

Mr Downtown
AFTER I lost 89,000 United miles, with no notice.

And now under their new whadjapay? system, flying round trip to Tokyo only nets me 1750 miles.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Date: August 29, 2019 05:07PM
Yup, from Chicago O'Hare.

Posted by: testcase
Date: August 29, 2019 08:51PM
I have NO idea as to how many Frequent Flier miles I've accrued or even on which carrier(s) they might be accrued on.

Since I got my first RV, my travel via commercial carriers is down SIGNIFICANTLY (and, I enjoy travel MUCH more by RV). old fogey smiley
Date: August 30, 2019 10:04AM
I look forward to doing that one day... and not needing to be on a tight schedule. I over maximize biz travels. Always great on paper, but by the time a 7 day route is over - I regularly ask myself WTH was I thinking. An RV doesn't work today. smiling smiley

testcase
I have NO idea as to how many Frequent Flier miles I've accrued or even on which carrier(s) they might be accrued on.

Since I got my first RV, my travel via commercial carriers is down SIGNIFICANTLY (and, I enjoy travel MUCH more by RV). old fogey smiley

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Date: August 30, 2019 10:06AM
The best price I can find is about $1000 round trip on that route (and it's about 12K miles earned)... and says W class...

where do you get K class rates from? I have to assume it's a lot less than that? I'd rather pay less than get miles and I think might be missing a deal / better rate program now. Hmmmmmm.

Mr Downtown
Yup, from Chicago O'Hare.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Date: August 30, 2019 10:51AM
I don't really know or pay attention to fare codes, but I just happened to spot (probably on The Flight Deal) that ANA-United had a great sale. And it was cherry-blossom season. I was surprised when I got home to see how few miles I earned, but don't cry for me, Hiroshima. I paid $440 for a round trip to Tokyo.

Well, I can't be the guy who says "the passport is always next to the door" and let that go by. So I grabbed my laptop and backpack and off I went. I was surprised that the plane was a third empty; a buddy who used to work in the industry says ANA makes all its money off the front of the plane (first- and business-class).
Date: August 30, 2019 02:53PM
i'd say you got a killer steal deal... I tried searching for 'K' fares on United and no days for months showed on that route (I didn't look for others). I'd suggest that when you get a smoking deal like that... $440 round trip to Japan from Chicago.... yep, okay, going to sacrifice some award point earnings... And save a boatload. Nice flight grab! smiling smiley

Save $600 or collect an extra 10K in miles (still short of miles needed for one-way domestic award ticket) - I'd not be complaining about those miles not earned. smiling smiley

Mr Downtown
I don't really know or pay attention to fare codes, but I just happened to spot (probably on The Flight Deal) that ANA-United had a great sale. And it was cherry-blossom season. I was surprised when I got home to see how few miles I earned, but don't cry for me, Hiroshima. I paid $440 for a round trip to Tokyo.

Well, I can't be the guy who says "the passport is always next to the door" and let that go by. So I grabbed my laptop and backpack and off I went. I was surprised that the plane was a third empty; a buddy who used to work in the industry says ANA makes all its money off the front of the plane (first- and business-class).

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 251
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018