advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
is there a way to backup ALL icloud stored docs to EXTERNAL HD?
Posted by: roshi
Date: August 30, 2019 09:47AM
is there a way to make a backup of all iCloud documents to an external hard drive? You know, for redundancy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: is there a way to backup ALL icloud stored docs to EXTERNAL HD?
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: August 30, 2019 10:16AM
Using iCloud.com and an external drive would be the bulletproof approach.
But I think the idea should be approached from different angles, to get the best method.
Regular TimeMachinin’ maybe?

• back to confinement

Date: August 30, 2019 10:45AM
I have two time machine backups. And a Carbon Copy Cloner backup. I just want a plain vanilla backup of the working documents I have in iCloud.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 30, 2019 10:48AM
I have all of my documents in my iCloud folder. Everything but photos I think. Why not just use finder to copy to external drive?
Date: August 30, 2019 10:57AM
"Why not just use finder to copy to external drive?"

in my icloud drive, some of the files are actually on my compuer and the others show the cloud-down arrow symbol - they are in the cloud and if I MANUALLY download them from the cloud, then I can copy them over to an external drive
Date: August 30, 2019 12:06PM
roshi
"Why not just use finder to copy to external drive?"

in my icloud drive, some of the files are actually on my compuer and the others show the cloud-down arrow symbol - they are in the cloud and if I MANUALLY download them from the cloud, then I can copy them over to an external drive

Ok, I have one machine where I keep a local copy of my entire iCloud library. That seems like one potential solution for you.
Date: August 31, 2019 08:34AM
"Ok, I have one machine where I keep a local copy of my entire iCloud library. That seems like one potential solution for you."

That sounds like a solution, but I guess I am confused about how to do that. I have 3 Macs here, and two of them are my primary everyday machines.
Date: August 31, 2019 08:47AM
roshi
"Ok, I have one machine where I keep a local copy of my entire iCloud library. That seems like one potential solution for you."

That sounds like a solution, but I guess I am confused about how to do that. I have 3 Macs here, and two of them are my primary everyday machines.

Easy. Be sure the iCloud settings have all files copied to the Mac. Now your files are in one folder. You can keep the archived via time machine or use CCC or manually copy the folder via finder. The hard part is finding the iCloud folder if you want to use finder. Use get info, hit show path, then copy to your dock for an alias or to copy all contents to a new drive.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018