advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to be an idiot the Verizon way: reject the iPhone
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: January 29, 2007 07:14AM
So now it comes out that Apple did call Verizon about the iPhone and Verizon hung up. The main issue: ego. Apple being #1 in music players and Verizon #1 in cell service, someone has to get more control over the other, and Jobs wasn't going to be subservient to anyone.

I'm not a big fan of the 1G iPhone, but I think history might show this to be Cingular's D-Day in the cell service war. The iPhone will gain traction and be as ubiquitous as the iPod in the next few years and Cing's service can only improve. Verizon was stupid to not experiment with Apple and possible seal up their #1 spot for a decade. But when you are #1 you never think you'll ever be #2.

[www.usatoday.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to be an idiot the Verizon way: reject the iPhone
Posted by: earache
Date: January 29, 2007 07:44AM
But Verizon is #2 in cell service. Made it even worse that they didn't take Jobs up on the iPhone.

earache
Posted by: ArtP
Date: January 29, 2007 07:59AM
Yep, just confirms what I have know all along being a Verizon customer, Verizon is stupid.

I remember how badly they screwed up the roll out of the Treo 650 when they first came out. I think Apple would have been upset at how in-effecient Verizon is.

Anyone know who the No. 1 Cell Carrier is? Is it Cingular or T-Mobile?
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: January 29, 2007 08:15AM
earache
But Verizon is #2 in cell service. Made it even worse that they didn't take Jobs up on the iPhone.

Now they are. I was thinking Verizon was #1 when Apple approached them a couple years ago. Not sure if that was before Cing bought ATT Wireless though.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 29, 2007 08:15AM
Its Cingular. Of course, they're #1 for a few less positive things as well.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 29, 2007 08:41AM
Based on todays info AT&T has 61M and VZW has 59M.
Since all cell companys underwrite their fones to some degree, maybe the degree that was required by Apple wasn't worth the bean counters estimated return.
Time will tell if large numbers of people jump ship to Cing or if the iP causes a great swell in their subscriber base in general. I kind of doubt it, unless their coverage improves drastically.
I dunno, I can count the number of co-workers and friends on one hand that are Cing subscribers. The number is decidedly fewer that are happy.
In general most of the VZW users are satisfied.
I'd like to have an iP, even with it's pundit noted shortcomings, but if my service sucked most of thee time, I'd be better off with an iPod. And even that I'm still using my 5 year old Clie. It ain't broke and it does MP3 just fine, though it takes me an extra step to load. I can make time for the extra minute it takes.

Now if the iP came with a full size pristine 70's blue 246 Dino ................

But I'd still agree VZW is stupit.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: MacManMaz
Date: January 29, 2007 08:57AM
After being a long term verizon customer (literally since they started) I have been locked into the free phone upgrade and new contract cycle.

Many times I have thought about switching, but paying for three new phones and the early termination fees was tough. After so many years of monstrous over charges and billing and service screwups and lying salespeople and confusing misleading service plans, I am now ready to just do it at any cost.

Right now the only thing that keeps me from switching to another carrier is coverage. Verizon still has the best coverage in all the areas that I and my kids use the phones. The minute (always rounded up of course) that another carrier can match their coverage, I'm there.

Ironically, Cingulars commercials that state that they have the best coverage are far from reality, according to consumer reports and other reviews. Cingular and Apple can only make a big hit out of this if Cingular improves their coverage.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 29, 2007 10:07AM
So many "coulda/shoulda/woulda" opportunities; there must be a web page about them.

* Little Rock missed the opportunity to boom via FedEx establishing its base of operations there: [en.wikipedia.org]

* M&M candies were the first choice for ET's "candy trail" but the candy maker didn't want to be associated with a "monster movie" so they used Reese's Pieces instead; sales of the candy soared after the movie came out: [en.wikipedia.org]

It's also an old wives' tale in the New Orleans area that Walt originally looked at the area east of New Orleans as the original site for WDW, but bypassed the state when every politician Walt's agents spoke with asked for a handout of some sort -- some rather directly.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 29, 2007 10:10AM
And FWIW:

[snltranscripts.jt.org]

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2007 10:11AM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 29, 2007 10:22AM
Chupa Chupa
Verizon was stupid to not experiment with Apple and possible seal up their #1 spot for a decade

I agree. Talk about sealing one's fate...

Companies ignore Apple and the Mac market at their peril.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 29, 2007 11:01AM
Jobs was talking about if they captured 1% of the cell phone market that it would be a big revenue stream for them. Could be that Verizon was thinking bigger than that...

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 29, 2007 11:46AM
how dare you use Verizon and "thinking" in the same sentence!

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: January 29, 2007 11:55AM
Cingular has the most US subscribers. Consumer Reports consistently rates them as the bottom feeder for signal, dropped calls and network availability in most cities they tested.

-------------------------------------------------------

Join team 38910 folding! [folding.stanford.edu] multi cpu-[calxalot.homeip.net]
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: January 29, 2007 12:44PM
I never tell the Verizon techs that I have a Mac when calling. They are pretty cluleless when it comes to Macs, and the software that they make available for their phone shows. I use my old LG VX 6100 as a modem with my Macbook without any help from Verizon, who tries to sell you their "PC-only" data kit.

But alas, I usually get a reliable signal and very few dropped calls, so I stick with them.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 29, 2007 12:55PM
As a long time Verizon customer, I stay with them only because their coverage seems to be the bests for me, and the IN thing (free calls to other Verizon customers).

And for a while now, it seems Verizon has demanded that all the phones they sell have a Verizon UI rather than whatever may have shipped with the same phone, elsewhere.

I've always like Nokia's UI, except with VZW. And until recently, VWZ didn't allow OBEX.

Stevie would not tolerate anybody tampering with his vision.

It would have been *very* convenient to have the iPhone on VZW. Now I've got to quiz phone users on coverage.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: January 29, 2007 02:30PM
Zoidberg
* Little Rock missed the opportunity to boom via FedEx establishing its base of operations there: [en.wikipedia.org]

From what I understand, that's not as clear cut as one might think. Little Rock would have to have made a huge investment of infrastructure whereas Memphis would've not (they already had it in place). What investment it did need was more easily aborbed by a bigger metropolitan area like Memphis.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: January 29, 2007 04:49PM
Interesting. I don't particularly like Cingular's customer service. Unfortunately, I discovered after trying T-Mobile (my wife calls it, "T-Maybe") for a year, we were forced to return to Cingular. It and Verizon just don't cover my home neighborhood very well. We're clearly not a metropolitan area, but we have a decent football team and even better b'ball team at the local university, so it's upsetting to have such limited options just a few miles away from the Swamp.

I am glad that I have the option to iPhone without switching carriers. Did Verizon's lack of GSM affect their decision?
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 29, 2007 11:30PM
It's better that Verizon passed on the iPhone. Look at how they f'd up the Razr with their modified firmware. They have also crippled bluetooth on their phones so that it only works with headsets and car kits. Plus, why would Apple want a CDMA phone that only works in the US? By developing a gsm phone, they can sell the phone in 99% of the world without re-engineering it. As more carriers in the US support gsm, Verizon is going to have fewer cutting edge phones to offer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 243
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018