Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
fave miniDV to recommend?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 29, 2007 08:49AM
something decent up to around $500.
firewire, still capable, 2" screen, battery that'll do an hour of rec'd (I assume that almost all of them these days can pass these lines)
I was thinking a Canon or Sony.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: fave miniDV to recommend?
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: January 29, 2007 09:44AM
I bought a Canon Elura 100 for Christmas. So far, it has been a great little camera. Good quality picture, shoots stills, shoots in true 16x9 or 4:3. I have had the battery last an hour and a half. Plus it is one of the few cameras in that price range that has a mic input and an input to hook up analog equipment and use it as a d/a converter. I am getting all of my old Hi8 onto dv through this camera.

Just found out this camera has been discontinued for 2007. I would try to find one quick if you are interested in it.

Here is a good deal.

[www.newegg.com]

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2007 09:48AM by kahuna1342.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 29, 2007 01:08PM
If today's Canons are using the same tape transport as yesterday's ZR-series, stay far, far away.

Seriously, find that answer, maybe over at camcorderinfo.com. If it's another transport today, forge ahead. But if it's NOT, in 1-3 years it'll begin to eat tapes upon rewind. You can also search dealmac's forum archives about this.

I bought a low-end Panasonic to replace my ZR45. I've not used it much but it does the job. What interested me in it is that many of the Panasonics, even at the low end, have more manual control over exposure --- a relative rarity in any consumer cam. Could save your bacon in a tricky lighting situation.
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: January 29, 2007 03:27PM
I'll echo kahuna1342's recommendation of the Elura 100. Also bought one for Christmas to replace an ancient Sony Digital8. The thing is tiny compared to the old Sony but still fits well in my hand.

The price at Newegg is about what I paid on sale at BestBuy just before Christmas.

Very happy overall.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 29, 2007 03:32PM
Thanks,

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 29, 2007 07:17PM
"If today's Canons are using the same tape transport as yesterday's ZR-series, stay far, far away."

I had 2 ZR-45's that would warn to "remove tape". If you google that, you'll get lots of complaints. They may be different now. Be sure to get an extended warranty.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 229
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018