advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What do we like for a heart rate monitor?
Posted by: Don C
Date: September 03, 2019 10:04AM
Just finished reading "Younger Next Year" yet another book promoting a healthy life style as we approach and enter retirement (the advice is good for all ages). Exercise six days a week, two of those days strength training and four cardio days. The cardio days should get the heart rate up to 60 -70% of max (or higher for short bursts).

Following the advice requires a heart rate monitor that tells you in real time how you are doing. I am not interested in a chest band and a iWatch is more than I care to spend. I just need something that approximates a real reading. There are a zillion models out there, making it hard for a first timer to choose.

I don't need videos showing how to do exercises or build an exercise plan. I THINK I just want to monitor heart rate as I walk, either outside or on a device.

Thanks for thoughts and suggestions.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What do we like for a heart rate monitor?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 03, 2019 10:07AM
....Gigi Hadid....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 03, 2019 10:22AM
Look at garmin watches. they either have a built in heart rate monitor or wirelessly connect to a strap.

The primary benefit of a sports specific watch is that they'll last longer. Might not be too far away in price from an Apple watch but an Apple watch needs to be charged daily.

ideas - [www.amazon.com]
[www.amazon.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2019 10:28AM by mattkime.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 03, 2019 12:35PM
Most peeps think apple watch and just assume its $400...

If you THINK you want more than just a HR monitor, apple watch 3's are $199 all the time. Brand new. Waterproof. Does all the HR stuff, plus texting, phone calls, music, maps, etc, etc.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 03, 2019 01:03PM
Don C
…a iWatch is more than I care to spend.

An iWatch—or as some people call it, an Apple Watch—is something that you'll get eventually anyway. You might as well have it now.

Basically, what jdc said.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: September 03, 2019 01:27PM
Here's a somewhat old but helpful article that discusses wrist-based monitoring:

[www.dcrainmaker.com]

Most models are pretty good at calculating resting rate, but they can vary and struggle with random swings such as interval training or varying movements. I don't think the cardio "bursts" you describe will be problematic, but if you were, say, doing sets of burpees or sprints, wrist-based monitors will struggle with that. And they won't be very helpful with weight training. They work best for walking, distnance running, biking and swimming, but they are great for those things.

When I got my Garmin 235 a few years ago, I decided I could live with some inaccuracy at higher or varying intensities. I'm more interested in patterns and relative effort than I am with precision, and I always have the option of using a strap (which I almost never do).

There is a Wirecutter article that goes over some of the current options, and I believe mattkime's suggestion is the budget pick.

One tip is to see if your insurance company offers any kind of discount on a HR monitor. As a Blue Cross participant, I can get 35% off of most of the current Garmin watches. Wish I knew about that when I got mine.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: September 03, 2019 02:36PM
I used a chest strap HR monitor for years on my rowing machine, but have come around to thinking that HR training is not that useful at least for me (and the idea of "zones" may be a 1990s concept). How are you going to approximate your max or calculate your percentages? Usually that involves training hard near or approaching a max, over a long enough distance to matter, on enough occasions to get a reliable measure.

If you are not going to really determine your max (and there is no reason you should) do you really need to monitor your HR; otherwise this is sort of obvious. If I am walking, my HR is not very high (I did a walk today and it was around 60%); but what that tells me is that walking isn't very hard and I know that. If I am doing a serious hill climb on my bike, my HR is much higher, so 80% of max or something, but I also know that because my H is pounding and I am working very hard. So doing moderate exercise ("walking") your HR is obvious and doing really hard exercise your HR is obvious, and you will also know when you are doing medium work too. So the actual HR number doesn't get you much info that you don't already know by your own body.

Wrist monitoring is not super accurate, and hard to read when going hard, but probably works well enough for your needs. I use the Apple Watch now, and do sometimes look at the HR. A good reason to use the HR monitor is for looking at after the fact, and also monitoring your changes over change, so logging your HR over months or years, and all that will be built in to the Apple watch and your iphone, in the health app. So if you regularly do a stair climb of 10 flights of stairs, seeing how your HR changes over time as you get better in shape is probably the most useful and interesting part. But I am sure the Fitbit app could do something similar (my partner used a fitbit and remember that, but she didn't have HR monitoring).
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 03, 2019 04:29PM
Apple Watch, or as some call it, iWatch.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: September 03, 2019 07:24PM
Last year while doing 6 months worth of Cardio Rehab after a heart attack I learned quite a bit.

When I asked the the nurses there about monitoring at home they recommended only 2 devices as being anywhere close to accurate (within 5% of the EKG monitors that we wore at the hospital). The first was the Polar H10 via an APP and your smartphone and the second was a simple Pulse/Ox device available at CVS.

A simple way to determine your Maximum Heart Rate or MHR is to subtract your age from 220 for men and 226 for women. When you are focusing on cardio health you should be working out for 30 - 50 minutes while sustaining your heart rate at 75 to 80% of MHR. The best way to do this is of course walking on a treadmill, riding a stationary bike or swimming.

To achieve maximum benefit for your heart you should exercise 5 days a week (7 days a week if you are diabetic).

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Date: September 03, 2019 09:32PM
I'm gonna go on the record as saying that doing anything is better than doing nothing and small increments are often better than big jumps. Get a watch / device that you like, listen to your body, and go from there. Have fun!!
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 03, 2019 11:45PM
mattkime
I'm gonna go on the record as saying that doing anything is better than doing nothing and small increments are often better than big jumps. Get a watch / device that you like, listen to your body, and go from there. Have fun!!
I concur.

My son in high school is in cross country he runs 5-6 days a week with his team/coach before school. He was just interested in monitoring his heart rate, I had a Garmin that I let him borrow. He liked it and I ended up getting one for him. He tried a few out and settled on the Vivoactive 3.

Edit:
Found this on Slick deals.
“If you have blue cross insurance you can go to www.blue365deals.com and get any of fenix 6's 30-40 percent off.
Bamahiker 26”
Someone reported getting a Vivoactive 3 Music for $170. That’s almost half retail.

Kaiser has discounts at : [www.choosehealthy.com] 35%off Garmin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2019 11:53PM by Carm.
Date: September 04, 2019 12:13AM
Really helpful replies! Thanks

I will use the 220-age calculation which should be close enough for my purposes. I anticipate using this mostly while walking. While I know when my HR is up, the question is whether it is up as high as I need it to be to reach the 60-70% goal. I know from my weight work that it is real easy for me to slip into "good enough" which probably isn't.

Looking into that Apple Watch series 3. It does enough other stuff to be very tempting and I just got a $50 Amazon credit from my health insurer for getting my annual physical which brings the price down closer to what I had in mind to spend. i sent an inquiry to my health plan administrator to see if our United Healthcare plan covers pricing on a HR monitor.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 04, 2019 12:58AM
Harbourmaster
When I asked the the nurses there about monitoring at home they recommended only 2 devices as being anywhere close to accurate (within 5% of the EKG monitors that we wore at the hospital). The first was the Polar H10 via an APP and your smartphone and the second was a simple Pulse/Ox device available at CVS.

I don't think they're well informed:

[www.iphoneincanada.ca]
"Apple Watch performs exactly like a dedicated heart rate monitor…with very accurate results"

And then there are these too:

[www.macrumors.com]
[time.com]
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 04, 2019 08:25AM
Don,

I looked at a bunch and had previously used a Polar model with a chest strap. Once the battery died in it, I swapped to a Wahoo TICKR X:

[www.amazon.com]

Love it! Works beautifully with my iPhone. Since it's a chest strap, I can easily use it while doing exercises that require arm and hand movements. Same goes while using wraps and boxing gloves to work a heavy bag. The same can't be said for any monitors that must be attached to a wrist.

Robert
Date: September 04, 2019 10:01AM
Oh, report back with what you get and how you're enjoying it. I'm kind of jealous that you're planning to ramp up your fitness regime - it should be very rewarding.

Date: September 04, 2019 11:20AM
I am leaning towards the Watch Series 3. The $50 Amazon credit that I got from my insurance wellness program makes it more affordable. I am waiting to hear whether my policy has a discount program on monitors.

Really good information in this thread!
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: September 04, 2019 06:48PM
Article Accelerator
Harbourmaster

I don't think they're well informed:

[www.iphoneincanada.ca]
"Apple Watch performs exactly like a dedicated heart rate monitor…with very accurate results"

And then there are these too:

[www.macrumors.com]
[time.com]

You are entitled to your opinion. But I would say that these fine men and women that spend there days monitoring the heart rates (and EKG) of recovering cardiac patients while they exercise have a pretty good grasp of what works well and what doesn't. Having seen and tested them alongside the cardiac monitors in use at the hospital.

Upon reading the articles that you linked as examples, the recommendation of the chest strap device as most accurate is confirmed. As well as the fact that most devices worn on the wrist are less accurate the more vigorous the exercise becomes.

"The chest strap monitor was the most accurate, nearly matching the EKG with 99% accuracy—both technologies capture electrical activity coming from the heart. Of the wrist wearables, Apple Watch was about 90% accurate"

"Accuracy also went down as intensity increased. “What we really noticed was all of the devices did not do a bad job at rest for being accurate for their heart rate, but as the activity intensity went up, we saw more and more variability,” Blackburn says. “At the higher levels of activity, some of the wrist technology was not accurate at all."

And if you will go back and carefully re-read my comments you might discover that the Apple Watch with Heart rate monitoring capability had only just come on the market while I was doing my cardio rehab so it would not have been seen in use by anyone during therapy yet and consequently could not have been recommended.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 04, 2019 11:12PM
I had an earlier reply cooking yesterday, until I got up to pee, and spousal unit usurped the laptop and vaporized my reply. It extolled the benefits of a pulse-ox device. I got a pretty decent one for under $30 to primarily use w/ my portable oxygen concentrator. Not as efficient as an Apple Watch, but way cheaper and almost as lightweight. Insurance co's wellness program also sent me a bluetooth enabled BP monitor that does HR, too. Not nearly as convenient as iWatch or finger based pulse-ox monitor, but since I'm "forced" to use it periodically, it adds HR data points. Pretty sure you can get a BT enabled pulse-ox thingy to talk to an app on your phone to keep a record of your HR history... there are a few available now in the $50 - $70 range, but more are on the way, so I expect the price to come down within the next year or so.
==
Posted by: ADent
Date: September 07, 2019 03:06AM
Wife and kid are using a Xiaomi Mi Band 3 - under $30.

The wife bought a 12 pack of bands in different colors for $12 and color coordinates with her outfit.

The Mi Band 4 is out - with color display now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 263
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018