Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Got the T-mobile 30-day tester
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 05, 2019 08:36PM
Follow up to [forums.macresource.com]

So I sent for the free T-mobile hotspot as I was interested to see how its signal was in my area (it used to be terrible). The device came today and was easy to set up, and have my phone connect to it. Then nothing worked.

Your current carrier must allow wifi calling on your phone for it to work, and mine doesn't. Okay, I can live without using it to make calls as I was more interested in signal strength and data usage. Except it still doesn't work. I get the wifi signal from the device, but when I try to go to a webpage (any webpage), all I get is "The server cannot be found." Seems odd since I can wifi surf both at home, work, area stores, etc - just not with this device.

I'll carry it for a few days to look at the signal strength in various locales, but overall it was a bust.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Got the T-mobile 30-day tester
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 05, 2019 08:40PM
....you may have to call to 'activate'.....when you first turn it on,it takes you to a site and when you click 'get started' nothing happens.........I googled and seems to be common issue....they said just call the # for the T-Mobile hotspot and they will 'activate' it that way.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 05, 2019 08:49PM
I tried to get the hotspot, but I'm not eligible as I have their sim in an old iPad. Never used the sim/service, but doesn't matter. Guess no T mobile for me.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 05, 2019 09:12PM
macphanatic
I tried to get the hotspot, but I'm not eligible as I have their sim in an old iPad. Never used the sim/service, but doesn't matter. Guess no T mobile for me.

None for me either sad smiley
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 05, 2019 09:58PM
I'm using it...worked fine out of the box...slow as heck tonight, though (download speed of only a few hundred kb)

AT&T's $35/month unlimited LTE "tablet" plan (i.e. stick the SIM in a hotspot after setting it up in a tablet) has been rock-solid compared to this offering.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2019 09:59PM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 05, 2019 11:28PM
Mine was delivered this morning and the package is still outside on our steps. I’ll have to remember to bring it in tomorrow.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 06, 2019 03:30AM

Likewise.

The SIM still works in my mini 5 and rolls over every month, but ~200-250MB is probably one web page these days.

I don't need the hotspot feature, but I'd like to check their signal strength when out and about.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 06, 2019 06:29AM
Bill in NC
I'm using it...worked fine out of the box...slow as heck tonight, though (download speed of only a few hundred kb)

AT&T's $35/month unlimited LTE "tablet" plan (i.e. stick the SIM in a hotspot after setting it up in a tablet) has been rock-solid compared to this offering.

do you have a recommendation about which hotspot to use? Do you have one that ethernet output?
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: September 06, 2019 11:55AM
Netgear Nighthawk...has one ethernet port.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 06, 2019 03:50PM
Went into T-mobile - the sim card was bad. They replaced it and all is well. It was the first Hotspot they have seen.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Gilbert
Date: September 07, 2019 12:26AM
I ordered a hotspot also and two were delivered. Apparently it isn’t activated until powered on. I will use one for a month and then turn on the other one.

I have an AT&T unlimited mobile plan for $20/month that I use with a Netgear Nighthawk M1. The AT&T signal is faster than T-Mobile’s so far but will continue to test it.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: September 07, 2019 11:09AM
Ordered and I hope it arrives soon! I'll be doing merch sales at a music event later this month where Verizon has always performed poorly. T Mobile shows much better service in that area. It would be great if I did not have to risk running so many transactions through Square offline.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 274
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018