advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
how am i supposed to find the sacrificial anode on my lochinvar LTN040G water heater?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 05, 2019 11:58PM
I'm under the impression that you'd remove the sacrificial anode from the top but to remove the top it appears as though I'd need to remove some plumbing. I've searched for a manual that might explain but haven't had any luck. The top cover doesn't give any clues as to where the item might lurk below. Its @#$%& stupid.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: how am i supposed to find the sacrificial anode on my lochinvar LTN040G water heater?
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 06, 2019 01:22AM
Some anodes are “hinged”. They can be slid in and out without the need for large clearance at the top of the heater.
Re: how am i supposed to find the sacrificial anode on my lochinvar LTN040G water heater?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: September 06, 2019 01:24AM
And some are built-in to the intake port. poke around here a bit. [www.waterheaterrescue.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2019 01:26AM by Racer X.
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 06, 2019 01:26AM
Google it and look for a diagram?
Posted by: Pat
Date: September 06, 2019 01:28AM
Looks like it's part of the outlet.

[www.google.com]
Posted by: pdq
Date: September 06, 2019 01:35AM
Pat

[www.google.com]

Wow - so the outlet tube and the anode are one and the same?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 06, 2019 03:25AM
Did you check the altar?

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 06, 2019 06:17AM
pdq
Pat

[www.google.com]

yes. My Bradford-White has the same.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: September 06, 2019 06:59AM
pdq
Pat

[www.google.com]

Here’s a different model that takes the same part and the exploded view is more exploded:

[usermanual.wiki]
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: September 06, 2019 09:00AM
Installation-and a tip if you don't have enough head room to install new anode.
[youtu.be]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 06, 2019 09:48AM
.....I don't.....node....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: September 06, 2019 09:58AM
here's a photo of the top of my hot water heater. look like the connection is all coppered into place -

Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 06, 2019 10:15AM
Nothing else to see on the cold side I assume?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 06, 2019 10:15AM
Oh, installed by an idiot! It would be normal for there to be a union joint so the water heater could be disconnected without unsoldering joints.
Date: September 06, 2019 10:29AM
JoeH
Oh, installed by an idiot! It would be normal for there to be a union joint so the water heater could be disconnected without unsoldering joints.

Replace with PEX?

After some research - seems that at least in some places you need 18" of copper before you can use PEX.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2019 10:48AM by mattkime.
Posted by: Pat
Date: September 06, 2019 10:54AM
Yeah, where's the union?
In CA, there would be flexible connections to meet seismic codes. Loosen, bend out of the way, R&R anode, reconnect.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 06, 2019 11:04AM
mattkime
JoeH

Replace with PEX?

After some research - seems that at least in some places you need 18" of copper before you can use PEX.

Why would you use PEX? Just cut out a section of copper and solder in a threaded pipe fitting. Then connect that to the water heater with a flexible corrugated copper pipe (which is designed for water heater connection). Sweat soldering is easy, but practice on some scrap copper tubing first. If you're scared of soldering, then use a sharkbite connector.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2019 11:13AM by davester.
Date: September 06, 2019 11:05AM
davester
Sweat soldering is easy

Yeah, like pimpin' is easy.
Posted by: davester
Date: September 06, 2019 11:14AM
mattkime
davester
Sweat soldering is easy

See my edit. I added the option of using sharkbite fittings instead of sweat soldering.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: September 06, 2019 11:28AM
davester
mattkime
davester
Sweat soldering is easy

See my edit. I added the option of using sharkbite fittings instead of sweat soldering.

aaaah! nice!

this looks easy - [www.youtube.com]

Date: September 06, 2019 11:42AM
This looks like the manual - [www.lochinvar.com]

and this looks like a replacement part list - [www.lochinvar.com]

I'm still a little confused about how this outlet pipe relates to the anode and how the anode is removed. maybe it sits inside the outlet pipe?

---

I guess I need to figure out what diameter connections I need on each end of the sharkbite hose.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2019 11:53AM by mattkime.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 366
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018