AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Fly to Pittsburg, PA and drive back to California
Posted by: Microman
Date: September 17, 2019 11:06PM
Gonna help my Grand Daughter return.

Driving her 1998 Toyota Corolla.

Wish us luck...

Not sure how many miles to tackle each day.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Fly to Pittsburg, PA and drive back to California
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 17, 2019 11:29PM
ROAD TRIP!

Posted by: Acer
Date: September 17, 2019 11:29PM
Might want to consider upgrading towing mileage with your auto club, just in case.

Also, why leave Pittsburgh? Yinz got a problem with America's largest small town?
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 18, 2019 12:04AM
That's gonna be fun!
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 18, 2019 12:42AM
Pittsburg is in CA -- Pittsburgh is in PA.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2019 12:44AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 18, 2019 12:42AM
Not sure how many miles to tackle each day.

500 miles per day, tops. Don't try to be a hero. A couple of our nephews are in the service (USN & USAF), and when driving cross country, the service maps out their routes, and requires mileage checks to ensure they don't drive more than 500 miles in any given day, or they're subject to disciplinary action.
==
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 18, 2019 12:51AM
"Not sure how many miles to tackle each day."

LISTEN to your bodies! Two hours (to a max of three hours) driving before stopping for a break. Then, after fuel, food etc, switch drivers. Check the SEATS; if they're not at least reasonably comfortable, it will NOT an enjoyable trip ( a "support" cushion / pad can help if needed). Have a trusted mechanic CAREFULLY check the Toyota before you head out (especially ALL TIRES). On my first cross country trip, I told the mechanic to check the car as if HIS mother would be driving it cross country. A breakdown will be a major headache that CAN be avoided. If an EZ-Pass is available, that can be VERY helpful. Check online for routing. Some routing services will offer suggestions on hotels and restaurants. Cracker Barrel and Denny's are usually located just of a major highway. Very consistent food served without wasting your time. Toss garbage every chance you get. Have some bottled water, gum and snacks always available. A good playlist can help the miles pass quickly. Safe travels!

PS: STRETCH often!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2019 12:53AM by testcase.
Posted by: space-time
Date: September 18, 2019 05:59AM
[insideevs.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 18, 2019 06:36AM
.....California....here I come.....back where I started from.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 18, 2019 06:58AM
salad and fries!
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 18, 2019 07:30AM
You’re driving with your daughter, right?
How many opportunities like this will you have?
Instead of making it a speed run, consider picking a slightly less direct route, and going to places you’ve always wanted to go to, will that look interesting.

Maybe some national parks? Maybe some interesting cities or towns?

In addition to all the great advice you’ve gotten here, have a great time with your daughter!
Posted by: flareslow
Date: September 18, 2019 07:42AM
Books on tape!
Posted by: 3d
Date: September 18, 2019 08:08AM
The car is up to date on routine service maintenance correct? If not, now might be a good time to do it.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 18, 2019 08:17AM
testcase
If an EZ-Pass is available, that can be VERY helpful.

When I drove cross country in the 1980s I remember getting a lot of change for tolls before I left, and then was surprised when I drove the entire length of Interstate 40 from North Carolina to California and there was not a single toll.
Date: September 18, 2019 08:28AM
Oh and jumper cables in the trunk. Don't assume.
Date: September 18, 2019 08:48AM
.......and good spare tire in trunk.....just in case....

Posted by: Microman
Date: September 18, 2019 09:48AM
Should have Costco tires we purchased maybe a year or more ago before she took off. I also replaced the spark plugs and wires before she left.

When I got the car years ago, it had been sitting for 7 years. So I did the belts, and filters and oil change, and oil change since.

It looks crappy, but if things go the way I hope it was a low mileage car, and should be able to make it, I do have AutoClub of Southern Cal, with one step up in towing. , say 100 miles or something..
Date: September 18, 2019 09:52AM
....PA......=.....Prince Albert.....???

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 18, 2019 10:12AM
Pittsburgh

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 18, 2019 10:13AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Pittsburg is in CA -- Pittsburgh is in PA.

Pittsburg KS

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 18, 2019 10:13AM
Awesome road trip opportunity ! Definitely work on the playlist and navigation rules. Hopefully you both have eclectic music tastes. And definite side trip plans are critical too. Be sure to give her "My crazy grandpa" stories to tell.

And definitely get out and walk/ run around every couple of hours. Our older joints seize up after a while.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 18, 2019 12:17PM
GGD
testcase
If an EZ-Pass is available, that can be VERY helpful.

When I drove cross country in the 1980s I remember getting a lot of change for tolls before I left, and then was surprised when I drove the entire length of Interstate 40 from North Carolina to California and there was not a single toll.

Ahhh, the good old days. I too fondly remember them. Sadly, MANY states have toll roads now. EZ-Pass is good in about 19 states. It would STILL be a good idea to have a good supply of coins though. Some toll plazas / exits accept credit / debit cards now but, in the last few years, I've run across unmanned tollbooths that required cash. old fogey smiley
Posted by: Ammo
Date: September 18, 2019 12:18PM
IMO, long road trips can be one of the best ways for parents/kids to really open up and talk to each other.

However, YMMV.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 18, 2019 12:52PM
3d

Sooooo 1990s. Portable Car Jump Starter

[www.amazon.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: September 18, 2019 12:54PM
Microman,

Aside from some of the excellent advice offered by everyone else, I offer these four tidbits. Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who drove cross country in a '79 Datsun 310 in 1989 and 1990.

My first piece of advice is don't rush. If you have the chance to take your time, do it. Take a side trip or two along the way. This is possibly a once in a life time opportunity. Take advantage of it.

My second piece of advice. Listen to standup comedy. I need to concentrate to appreciate a book on tape. I can't do that while at the gym while on the treadmill or elliptical. Absolutely, positively, definitely can't do it while driving. Standup comedy, on the other hand, makes for great listening while on the road. I've got hours and hours and hours and hours of standup comedy and one of the reasons is road trips.

My third piece of advice. Make sure you've got lots of data for your smartphone. Waze and similar apps is your friend on road trips. The last thing you want is to be stuck in traffic in bumbafart, USA.

My last piece of advice is to avoid driving across Tennessee. Did that on the way from San Diego to NY and it took all friggin' day! Never again!

Robert
Posted by: wurm
Date: September 18, 2019 01:10PM
Robert M

My last piece of advice is to avoid driving across Tennessee.

Robert

Beats driving across Texas. Spent a night in Ft. Worth, then had to spend another in El Paso. And that's when I was still young. ;)
Date: September 18, 2019 01:33PM
jdc
3d

Sooooo 1990s. Portable Car Jump Starter

[www.amazon.com]

Fakespot review rating "D". LOL
Keep it simple with plain ol' jumper cables. 99 times out of 100 they won't need them on this trip. (Oh wait,, 20 yo car,, *edit* 95 times out of 100) So many people do not have jumper cables in the trunk nowadays. Without cables, even if someone wants to help they can't.
Date: September 18, 2019 01:44PM
When you get to Californey, take a dip in your cement pond.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 18, 2019 01:47PM
3d
Fakespot review rating "D". LOL
Keep it simple with plain ol' jumper cables. 99 times out of 100 they won't need them on this trip. (Oh wait,, 20 yo car,, *edit* 95 times out of 100) So many people do not have jumper cables in the trunk nowadays. Without cables, even if someone wants to help they can't.

Yeah, but whos checking fakespot? to see if they arent "fake" secret smiley

different model, he got it for free, jumps 6 cars: [youtu.be]

Literally hundreds of others to choose from. Ive got that exact model I linked, its now jumped 3 cars, including my neighbors POS 1990 accord. Battery was dead. Not even panel lights. 2 cranks.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 18, 2019 02:52PM
What a GREAT Road Trip!
Don't forget to build in "tourist" stops into ever day!

When I'm trying to put miles behind me, and not stop much, driving around the Western states, I go by hours in the car more than "miles". I Figure 6 hours is an "easy" day, and 8 hours is my preferred maximum. I've done 10 hours, and even 12-13 hours. Those are NOT fun, and I won't do them again by choice!

If you can tag-team drive, then 10 hour driving days are easy with each person taking 5 hours total, swapping every few hours and taking a "gas/bathroom/food/stretch" break.

I'd plan out the trip so that there is something "touristy" every day. Maybe twice a day. See Yellowstone. See the Badlands of South Dakota. See Glacier National Park. Take a few rural drives through the "Grassland" states rather than the Interstate the whole way.

Spend a few (or more!) "extra" days, and visit some places not really directly in your path. Visit New Orleans, or the Great Lakes, or drive to Washington State, and then down the Coast (wave as you pass through Eureka, CA...). Or through Texas and New Mexico and Arizona and have as many Taco's as you can.

Crossing the U.S. by road trip doesn't happen often! Take advantage of it.

Also take supplies, jumper cables, a few tools, five gallons of water, two working phones, and a AAA membership card. Seriously - join AAA for the towing benefits. Like, before you leave. And always have a couple MRE's or other non-perishable food packs in the car. You probably won't starve to death, but if you end up waiting 3-4 hours waiting for a tow, eating an MRE sandwich or whatever will keep you from getting grouchy and keep it an "adventure" rather than a pain in the butt.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 18, 2019 10:24PM
Enjoy your trip! Your granddaughter will treasure it for the rest of her life, as will you.

I just did a north/south cross country trip (or doesn’t north/south count?) I brought my father’s 1992 model year RV (towing his SUV) to Florida from Minnesota. I left this past Saturday at 9PM and arrived at 8AM Monday, flying back home yesterday. Only 1685 miles compared to your 2400+ miles. His RV has a leaky head gasket requiring more radiator refill stops than fuel stops (couldn’t make gallon jugs work, little room over the coolant tank, had to find a hose at each stop) but I still managed to average 48 MPH including a four hour sleep stop. It’s easy to make good time when you are driving alone, not so much when there are two people who require stops. Also, sightseeing was not part of my plan.

I ran into automated toll booths on the Illinois Tollway which were manned in the past. I could not reach the credit card slot through the window and there is no door on the RV driver’s side to cheat the reach so I ran all the toll stops in the bypass lanes. My father is 91 so hopefully he can avoid paying any of the missed tolls and fines before he shrugs off his mortal coil. He does not drive anymore so he is unlikely to be caught via a warrant. Also, I ran one manned booth in my car a couple of years ago just to see what would happen but I never got anything in the mail, no doubt because I am not a resident of Illinois.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: September 18, 2019 11:35PM
Speedy
Enjoy your trip! Your granddaughter will treasure it for the rest of her life, as will you.

I just did a north/south cross country trip (or doesn’t north/south count?) I brought my father’s 1992 model year RV (towing his SUV) to Florida from Minnesota. I left this past Saturday at 9PM and arrived at 8AM Monday, flying back home yesterday. Only 1685 miles compared to your 2400+ miles. His RV has a leaky head gasket requiring more radiator refill stops than fuel stops (couldn’t make gallon jugs work, little room over the coolant tank, had to find a hose at each stop) but I still managed to average 48 MPH including a four hour sleep stop. It’s easy to make good time when you are driving alone, not so much when there are two people who require stops. Also, sightseeing was not part of my plan.

I ran into automated toll booths on the Illinois Tollway which were manned in the past. I could not reach the credit card slot through the window and there is no door on the RV driver’s side to cheat the reach so I ran all the toll stops in the bypass lanes. My father is 91 so hopefully he can avoid paying any of the missed tolls and fines before he shrugs off his mortal coil. He does not drive anymore so he is unlikely to be caught via a warrant. Also, I ran one manned booth in my car a couple of years ago just to see what would happen but I never got anything in the mail, no doubt because I am not a resident of Illinois.

Speedy said "$%#* it."
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 19, 2019 02:52AM
3d

I now own the nicest jumper cables I've ever owned in my life. The irony is I drive a car for which I will most likely never need them.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 256
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018