advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Got a handsfree speakerphone thing you like?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 19, 2019 02:24PM
Doesn't have to be a portable widget for shoving into the ear. Desktop is fine. I imagine they all use Bluetooth? Would be used with both a Mac and iPhone, for GoToMeetings and other conference calls.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Got a handsfree speakerphone thing you like?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: September 19, 2019 02:41PM
I haven't used one, but a friend was just telling me about the Jabra Speak series, which he really likes:
[www.jabra.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 19, 2019 02:48PM
I've found the biggest problem with all handsfree devices is that Siri seems to be unable to understand me through them. Yeah, I can train Siri, but then it won't understand me through the iPhone or Apple earbuds themselves.

Honestly at work and at home I just put my iPhone on speaker mode and it works find, as long as the room is relatively quiet. Let's just say when the parrot is hollering in the background I get questions...
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 19, 2019 02:52PM
I have a Braven speaker that I really like.

[www.zagg.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 19, 2019 03:00PM
Mac already is a built in speaker phone?

[support.apple.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: September 19, 2019 03:21PM
If I'm at my Mac and there's no room (house) noise I'd do conference calls using the Mac's built in speakers and mic. Or I might use headphones with the Mac's built-in mic. But the iPhone is weaker in both areas IMO. I could probably just use my regular wired Apple earbuds but they aren't super great.
Posted by: timg
Date: September 19, 2019 03:47PM
Gareth
I haven't used one, but a friend was just telling me about the Jabra Speak series, which he really likes:
[www.jabra.com]

We have these here at work and they perform very well with a PC. not sure how they work on bluetooth, but I would assume they would work well.

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 19, 2019 03:53PM
Weird, I use my wired apple buds all day, they are always 100%, so its my main go to.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: September 19, 2019 04:10PM
Whatever Wirecutter recommends...
Date: September 19, 2019 05:19PM
timg
Gareth
[www.jabra.com]

We have these here at work and they perform very well with a PC. not sure how they work on bluetooth, but I would assume they would work well.

Interesting. My wife has one that looks just like that Speak 510 that comes up in the link. Shows a different model # on the bottom however. Uses it for when driving, mostly. The speaker is much stronger than any phone's and the mic's good.

I paired with it once for an interview and 3 months later the thing happened to be in the car. I got in and as soon as it got power it tried to join/unjoin from both my phone and my wife's inside the house. She came running out of the house wondering why her call kept getting screwed up LOL.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 19, 2019 06:30PM
I'd use my AirPods, then my EarPods, before I'd use a speakerphone unless it was far better than any posted so far.

For work, I had a few occasions to use one of those triangular ~$300 speaker phones and they were amazingly good. They reminded me how bad cellular calls are under the very best circumstances.

I avoid handsfree speaker-phonics as much as possible. They're a last resort for me.

If a Mac came into play I'd use its speakers, but almost any kind of external mic. Computer 'calls' or Face Time calls always sound terrible with the onboard mic.

The only saving grace these days is fan noise is very low, or with some 'Books, non-existant.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 19, 2019 10:44PM
Our little Polycom gadget works busters, sound-wise, but it's kinda pricey (>$200) unless use justifies it.

Cute little trick, is that many Bluetooth speakers also can function as pretty decent speakerphones... like ztirfz's zagg recommendation to start with. Do some homework, and you can probably find a viable unit on the order of about $40, though $60 seems to be the sweet spot for excellent all-around performance.... meaning good sound as a wireless speaker, good performance as a speakerphone, and plays nice with Siri and the rest of her PDA girlfriends.

FYI, 1st pic is Skype centric model, but Polycom has several flavors of their "Communicator Speakerphone" model, used 'Skype' pic to show headphone jack.
==
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 20, 2019 02:18PM
Polycom!

That was the conference call/speakerphone I'd used in the past.

Great sound, on both ends of the call, though I don't care for the F-117 aesthetic of the Trio line.

Have you used your C100S in the car?

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: dk62
Date: September 20, 2019 03:21PM
timg
Gareth
[www.jabra.com]

agree smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 66
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018