advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
grilling salmon over gas grill?
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: September 21, 2019 06:15PM
About once a week I broil a piece of farmed salmon in my toaster oven. 5 minutes on one side; 4 on the other, generously seasoned with Johnny's and topped with a bit of bearnaise.

Thinking about grilling a piece tonight and wondering if I can get a bit of smokiness using nothing but my apartment building's propane grill. Wondering if I can find a finger-sized piece of wood from my scrap box (unlikely to be applewood, probably will be spruce or pine from some 2x4) and burn that on the next burner over from the one providing the heat under the fish.

Keeping the fish from sticking to the grill is also a concern. I can spray it with Pam, generously paint the grill with olive oil—or use a small piece of foil or baking parchment underneath.

Thoughts?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: grilling salmon over gas grill?
Posted by: btfc
Date: September 21, 2019 06:21PM
Plank it:

[tips.simplygoodstuff.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 21, 2019 06:37PM
.....what about.......en papillote........???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: michaelb
Date: September 21, 2019 06:43PM
Salmon is easy to grill. So yes. I would clean the grill but i don’t oil it. Rubbing the grill with half a potato helps. Skin side up for 4 min then fit bit once.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 21, 2019 07:37PM
Don't use Pine, that is not meant for smoking.

Even in the South where everything is either smoked or fried, and Pine grows everywhere - we don't mix the two.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 21, 2019 07:39PM
Avoid cooking with spruce, pine, and other evergreens (conifers) regardless of meat. Far too bitter.

"Smokewood" (wood used for smoking food) is either a fruitwood or something like hickory, mesquite, oak certainly.

Fish easily take on smoke flavors. Go MILD (such as with apple or pecan or alder). And yes, cedar is really good because it adds something that's not as overt as even the mild alder might.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: September 21, 2019 07:53PM
btfc
Plank it:

[tips.simplygoodstuff.com]

Planks. Yep. Easy to find [amzn.to]

Also, why not get real salmon instead of farmed?

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: September 21, 2019 08:01PM
I really enjoy grilling Salmon on our gas grill... salt and pepper, shredded cilantro - put some avocado oil on each side before putting on (olive oil great too).

medium-high -
Skin side up for 2.5-4 mins... when it releases, flip and another 2.5-4 mins depending on thickness, etc. I like it medium rare. Easy to tell when salmon is done... and as long as you wait with the skin up till it is ready, it releases and flips with no mess.

Love the flavor it gets cooked this way... I used to mess with the planks - once in a while still will - but it turns out amazing and simple/quick.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 21, 2019 08:15PM
Your kids can have fun watching the worms pop out of the salmon.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 21, 2019 08:33PM
We used to grill... but honestly just too much work. Now we just pan fry. Stupid simple and takes 5 mintues or so... done. Perfect every time.

Similar to this: [youtu.be]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: September 21, 2019 08:44PM
I have been using Char Crust Original Hickory Rub for a while now on the salmon I grill. I coat the salmon with a bit of olive oil and apply the rub. I spray the grill with a little Pam so the fish doesn’t stick. The salmon tastes amazing.

[www.amazon.com]

JoeM
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 21, 2019 09:15PM
We're grilling some wild, line caught, Alaskan King Salmon tomorrow night. A 2-3/4 pound hunk of fillet. BIL/SIL's high end backyard gas grill. Some smoked applewood sea salt will certainly be part of the flavor profile, and we'll put some well-soaked hardwood chips in the smoking drawer. We'll grill the giant filet for probably around two and half to three minutes on an oiled grill, then onto the soaked cedar plank it goes, up on the top rack, away from the burners, until done, adding some fresh citrus and dill along the way. Pull when it hits about 135° - 137° F internally, wrap in parch/butcher paper and foil until opened for serving. I expect the internal temp will have peaked in the low to mid 140°'s F while resting.
==
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: September 21, 2019 09:26PM
Well, here's a tip for you Little Leaguers out there: the process goes more smoothly if you don't drop the freshly grilled fish onto the patio afterwards. When I got the remains upstairs, they were still quite undercooked, so they got another 3 minutes under the broiler anyway. Tasty, though.

The 2x2x3 wood block (species undetermined) that I put on another burner charred, but never caught fire. Not sure if it gave off very much smoke in there.

This is the third time I've tried grilling salmon, and I'm just not sure the results are worth the extra effort for me. My Krups convection oven broiler is a lot closer and easier.

M A V I C
Also, why not get real salmon instead of farmed?

Because I can afford the farmed. Well, once a week or so, anyway.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: September 22, 2019 09:23AM
Some light smoke will elevate any fish better than any indoor oven.

Smokewood doesn't normally catch fire when doing its thing. It smokes. I've seen people with gassers use fancy stainless steel boxes to hold smoke wood or just place it directly on the cook surface grill nearby.

Try it again using some from a bag of whatever smoke wood sounds good to you bought at the hardware store.

Practice makes perfect. Cook indirect if no plank, make sure there's some heat. With a plank, cook direct and watch for fire. Discard the plank afterwards. Fish that do not have skin I flip once. With skin, I cook skin side down and do not flip. Have the patience to let it ride, until white frothy stuff appears on top of the salmon. It's now done. If that takes too long, you don't have heat. If the skin sticks to the grill when you pull it off, so what. You don't eat it anyway and will just clean it off.

With skinless fish, it's similar to most other skinless meat in that within the first several minutes you CAN'T flip or else meat will stick. Wait a while, then flip. Yes, using some oil helps. It's more practical (and much safer) to oil the meat and not the grill.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 22, 2019 09:25AM
...can you 'vape'......the fish....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 22, 2019 12:34PM
OWC Larry
I really enjoy grilling Salmon on our gas grill... salt and pepper, shredded cilantro - put some avocado oil on each side before putting on (olive oil great too).

medium-high -
Skin side up for 2.5-4 mins... when it releases, flip and another 2.5-4 mins depending on thickness, etc. I like it medium rare. Easy to tell when salmon is done... and as long as you wait with the skin up till it is ready, it releases and flips with no mess.

Love the flavor it gets cooked this way... I used to mess with the planks - once in a while still will - but it turns out amazing and simple/quick.

I'm with Larry - the simpler, the better for good salmon. Don't need to add a lot of extra flavor to a good filet. We like to serve with fresh lemon peels.

I have to admit that grilling this way can be tricky for some - salmon undercooked is not something I like, and it's VERY easy to overcook and have a dried portion.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 22, 2019 03:10PM
Six more hours and we'll have photos.... then we gotta wrangle 'em and post 'em.

Gonna go w/ smoked cherrywood salt instead of applewood, BIL/SIL used up all the applewood salt, so gotta improvise. Two, small, prime tri-tips to be grilled at same time for some surf 'n turf action. One tri-tip is to go home w/ us tomorrow for leftovers, along w/ at least half of any salmon leftovers. Green salad, and super sweet organic corn to round out meal, along w/ Boudin sourdough to mop stuff up. BIL played his final game w/ his 60+ geezer's softball team last night so we gotta get his mind out of the dugout.
==

Edit: Added photos....

Tri tips on either side of salmon to provide scale. Big freakin' fish!

BIL cleaned his plate. Twice. Forgot about whatever might have happened last night.
Food coma for Emmy's
==

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2019 03:07AM by Buzz.
Posted by: dk62
Date: September 23, 2019 01:00PM
I know I am on the wrong side of this one, but I actually prefer farmed. More fat and less easy to overcook. Also not likely to have parasites, unlike the wild one. So if you like your fish medium-medium rare, much safer.
Posted by: 3d
Date: September 23, 2019 01:12PM
dk62
I know I am on the wrong side of this one, but I actually prefer farmed. More fat and less easy to overcook. Also not likely to have parasites, unlike the wild one. So if you like your fish medium-medium rare, much safer.

Sushi/Sashimi chefs use farmed salmon for this reason as well. Except for the overcook part of course for obvious reasons.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 67
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018