advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Loosey Goosey... iphone 6s Lightning port won't hold on...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 30, 2019 05:30PM
iPhone 6s lightning port seems to have just worn out its welcome, and won't hold on strong enough. And yes, I cleaned it with a toothpick and a Q-tip and a rubber spudger. It just won't 'lock'. Has anyone here swapped out the lightning port on a 6s ? I'm hesitant to upgrade to any iPhone that doesn't have fingerprint because I like unlocking my phone by just touching it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Loosey Goosey... iphone 6s Lightning port won't hold on...
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 30, 2019 05:54PM
Well, if you'd just quit stepping on it while it's plugged in, you wouldn't have that problem...

or maybe someone knows about a "fatter" lightning connector/cable for loose gooses.
==
Posted by: Golfer
Date: September 30, 2019 06:02PM
it's fairly easy to swap out, follow ifixit's guide.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 30, 2019 06:08PM
Look again using a flashlight and magnifying glass for compacted lint in the corners of the connector well. Poke the corners with a needle to break up the lint (it's compressed like a rock). The behavior you describe is exactly how the compressed lint acts, it has nothing to do with the contacts, it just builds up to a thickness that prevents the cable from being inserted all the way and "locking". It's purely a mechanical problem.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 30, 2019 06:13PM
....kegels......will tighten it up..........down there....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mstudio
Date: September 30, 2019 06:24PM
Have you tried a different cable? That fixed my same problem.
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 30, 2019 07:05PM
Happened to my FIL’s iPhone 7. Side springs/holders gave out and it needed replacement.
I wouldn’t have believed it had I not seen it myself.
Part runs $10-30 depending on source.
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 01, 2019 09:02AM
You might consider one of those aftermarket magnetic cable things, with a separate “bellybutton” (as my wife evocatively calls it) that goes in the lightning port. They make them in both power-only and power-plus-data kinds, the latter like this:

It might be a fairly cheap solution to get a little more life out of your 6s - you can find these on Amazon and eBay (search for “iOS magnetic cable”). The advantage is that the “bellybutton” just goes in once, not over and over. Of course, the bellybutton might not hold in your 6s, but if I were in your situation, I might literally take a tiny bit of white Elmer’s glue to go between the “flange” of the bellybutton and the 6s frame just outside the lightning port. If you do need to remove the bellybutton in the future, Elmers is not that strong, and it’s also water-soluble, even when dry, so a little carefully-applied drop of water will soften it up.

We’ve got these cables for all of our phones, iPads, and micro-USB rechargeable devices - the same cable works with bellybuttons for iOS, micro-USB, or USB-C, and so it can simplify your recharging life. If you did go this route, be aware that there are different (and incompatible) brands with different pin layouts in the magnetic end. Either get a popular brand that will still be available, or buy as many cables as you need at the beginning, plus one (in case one fails or gets lost).

I’ve personally had nothing but aggravation and failure trying to get USB or Firewire ports replaced, either by me (I’m a fixer-sort) or by phone shops. YMMV, of course. Also, the cheaper prices on these magnetic cables from Chinese sellers on eBay are tempting, but with current political events, the last two such eBay orders I made were never delivered and had to be refunded.
Date: October 01, 2019 12:23PM
.....can you Vagazel....??

Date: October 03, 2019 08:21AM
....ask if it can....hold on....for one more day.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 264
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018