advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Steam Locomotive Post--NC&StL Engine 576 Update
Posted by: jh
Date: October 01, 2019 02:47PM

A lot going on with 576 of the former Nashville Chattanooga & Saint Louis railroad (called the "NC" by the former employees). Status of the preservation with a tour, a song written about the engine by Marty Stuart and Harry Stinson and listen to her whistle sounding off under steam--not heard since 1952!

Preservation web site.

1. A You Tube Video on the status of the restoration from Vintage Machinery
"A tour of the Nashville Steam restoration site where they are working on restoring the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway No. 576 steam locomotive. Vintage Machinery is currently involved in a collaboration with Nashville Steam to restore a stoker engine for this locomotive."

2. 576 now has a song written about her.

"Though hundreds of songs about trains and railroading fill the American songbook, none specifically have been written about NC&StL No. 576. Grammy-award winning musician and CMA Hall of Fame member Marty Stuart decided that needed to change. Marty collaborated with Nashville musician and longtime drummer of his Fabulous Superlatives Harry Stinson to give Nashville's locomotive the song she deserves."

Article on the 576 web site about the song called "The Duchess (Queen of the Dixie Line)".
Excerpt from Marty Stuart:
“Harry and I both have a long history with this train, as do so many others. Johnny Cash was photographed for LIFE Magazine in front of it, and that guitar he’s holding is now one of my prized possessions. When you think about the soldiers that rode behind this engine to war, or the folks who traveled on it to Memphis and Atlanta, or the kids who dreamed about great adventures while climbing on it in the park – that’s why we wrote this song,” Stuart said. “We call her The Duchess, and she deserves to be honored. I offered myself to the Nashville Steam organization to let me be the hood ornament on the front of this campaign, and I’ll help any way I can to raise the funds and get her rolling again.”

"Trains have souls".

3. Nickel Plate no. 765 puts on a show with NC&StL No. 576's whistle at the 2019 Steam in the Valley event at the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad. The whistle is a shop-built, three-chime unique to the NC&StL J-3 class of locomotives and original to No. 576. The whistle recently underwent repair work and this is the first time it's being used with steam since the locomotive was retired in 1952.

BTW: Notice the engine numbers on both engines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2019 02:56PM by jh.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Steam Locomotive Post--NC&StL Engine 576 Update
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: October 01, 2019 07:12PM
jh, many thanks for the update on no. 576!

Took me a while, but I finally found the Marty Stuart-Harry Stinson song:

[www.youtube.com]

You can order a download from there. Proceeds go to the restoration. I added a few bucks.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2019 07:17PM by mrlynn.
Posted by: jh
Date: October 02, 2019 05:19PM
Another update.

Vintage Machinery (refer to the first video) now has a You Tube Video about beginning the stoker steam engine restoration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2019 05:19PM by jh.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: October 04, 2019 07:33AM
Posted a note about Marty and Harry's song on the Hillbilly at Harvard blog, here:

[hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

/Mr Lynn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 256
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018