advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
School Me... Wife wants a "House Phone" with handsets in multiple rooms. I DON'T want VOIP or landline. What to do??
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: October 03, 2019 05:03PM
So how do I achieve my goal of having multiple handsets in the house without adding VOIP or a POTS line? Ideal solution would be something that would allow HER cellphone to ring the handsets and let her answer from any room in the house without her hving to carry her iPhone with her all the time when she is in the house.

Is there a system/solution out there that works like I describe?

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: School Me... Wife wants a "House Phone" with handsets in multiple rooms. I DON'T want VOIP or landline. What to do??
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 03, 2019 05:11PM
Harbourmaster
Is there a system/solution out there that works like I describe?

There definitely used to be. Basically it was a bluetooth device that would connect to the cell phone via bluetooth and then plug into a normal telephone or house telephone wiring.

Not sure how common that is anymore (at least for finding a new one). I think I actually have something like that buried in a box somewhere.
Re: School Me... Wife wants a "House Phone" with handsets in multiple rooms. I DON'T want VOIP or landline. What to do??
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 03, 2019 05:15PM
......I believe those systems still exists...(teach me......tonight.....???)

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 03, 2019 05:15PM
Get a bunch of old iPhones, install FreedomPop app, get a phone number from FreedomPop and have all the phones logged in to the same FreedomPop Account. They'll all ring at the same time if a call comes in.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Forrest
Date: October 03, 2019 05:16PM
Consumer Cellular sells a home base station that connects thru cellular. You plug a DECT phone receiver into the base station. Your home phone number will need to transferred to Consumer Cellular, and the line charge is $10 per month ontop of your regular cell phone bill. I image many cell carriers offer a similar service.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: October 03, 2019 05:23PM
This (with "Link-to-Cell" feature):
[www.amazon.com]

However, I don't know if it would work without a valid land line.

Google for the manual for that model...

Or:
[www.vtechphones.com]

Says landline not needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2019 05:25PM by MikeF.
Date: October 03, 2019 05:25PM
.....If you want a do-right-all-day woman (woman)
You've got to be a do-right-all-night man (man)..........

Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 03, 2019 05:31PM
ztirffritz
Get a bunch of old iPhones, install FreedomPop app, get a phone number from FreedomPop and have all the phones logged in to the same FreedomPop Account. They'll all ring at the same time if a call comes in.

If you had a bunch of old iPhones, you could just use the handoff feature to pick up calls from any one of them. No need for another account/number.
Posted by: raz
Date: October 03, 2019 05:44PM
We have a Panasonic set of 5 that do both POTS and Bluetooth to our cell phones. I’m fairly sure the lack of POTS would not hinder the rest.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 03, 2019 05:57PM
That leaves walkie talkies or cans on string............
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 03, 2019 06:09PM
raz
We have a Panasonic set of 5 that do both POTS and Bluetooth to our cell phones. I’m fairly sure the lack of POTS would not hinder the rest.

I have that too. I've not tried to connect to it via my cell phone yet though.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 03, 2019 06:20PM
Wife wants... I DON'T want

anyone wants to guess who is going to win?
Posted by: maco
Date: October 03, 2019 06:22PM
raz

I have a Panasonic KX-TGF370, it works great for that. Look for the Panasonic models that say Link2Cell.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2019 06:23PM by maco.
Date: October 03, 2019 06:28PM
.....move to smaller house [ preferable with one room ].....???

Date: October 03, 2019 07:10PM
Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments!

Bought one of the Panasonics with 4 handsets.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 03, 2019 07:39PM
Just tell her to carry her phone around with her. KISS.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 03, 2019 09:34PM
Doesn't Apple Watch let you take calls on your phone if it is the cellular version with certain carrier plans?

Posted by: davester
Date: October 03, 2019 11:16PM
C(-)ris
Just tell her to....

Comment from an unmarried or unhappily married guy.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: gabester
Date: October 03, 2019 11:22PM
I have a device that pairs with up to 3 cell phones via bluetooth and has RJ-45 on the back of it. You plug it into power, one of your landline phone cables, and pair the bluetooth, and it'll ring all the old school landline phones in your house. You can disconnect the telco's line from the outside.

Here it is:
[www.amazon.com]

Search for bluetooth cellular gateway and you'll find similar devices. That Panasonic may also do the job and provide the "landline phone" set if you don't already have those.
Posted by: 3d
Date: October 04, 2019 08:24AM
C(-)ris
Yeah. That's what pockets are for. Sheesh. wink smiley
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 04, 2019 11:51AM
Panasonic wireless sets do this function well. My wife wanted this function, and we used it for about 5 years before she decided we could remove the headsets.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 04, 2019 12:58PM
I have the Panasonic setup as well.

I always have to google how to pair a new phone. It is not straight forward.

In fact, I still haven't paired my latest phone. I just like answering the phone anymore.
Date: October 04, 2019 03:02PM
gabester
I have a device that pairs with up to 3 cell phones via bluetooth and has RJ-45 on the back of it. You plug it into power, one of your landline phone cables, and pair the bluetooth, and it'll ring all the old school landline phones in your house. You can disconnect the telco's line from the outside.

Here it is:
[www.amazon.com]

Search for bluetooth cellular gateway and you'll find similar devices. That Panasonic may also do the job and provide the "landline phone" set if you don't already have those.

This would do the job as the house has phone Jacks in virtually every room, BUT, I don't own a single "regular" telephone!

Aloha, Ken

Date: October 04, 2019 03:05PM
3d
C(-)ris
Yeah. That's what pockets are for. Sheesh. wink smiley

Yeah, cause EVERYTHING she wears has pockets! smiley-signs117

Aloha, Ken

Posted by: space-time
Date: October 04, 2019 05:25PM
Harbourmaster

where does she keeps her condoms???
Date: October 04, 2019 07:34PM
space-time
Harbourmaster

where does she keeps her condoms???

Huh?

Aloha, Ken

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018