advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Collecting on a civil suit award?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 04, 2019 07:48PM
To keep this from going to the other side, I'll keep this like, "I have this friend who . . . "

In a civil suit, this person was awarded damages far in excess of their ability to pay. What happens in a case like this? Does the awardee just hope for the best? Does the court attach wages? How does this work?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Collecting on a civil suit award?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 04, 2019 08:22PM
first thing is if they have any property/real estate, file a lien on it.
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 04, 2019 10:13PM
You pay lawers and accountants to chase down all theit assets, and go back to court to try to collect.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 05, 2019 02:17AM
They can bring the judgment debtor to court to answer as to their ability to pay.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 05, 2019 07:23AM
If the defendant has no assets, the plaintiff is out of luck.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: MarkD
Date: October 05, 2019 09:13AM
The remedies depend on the state and what the damages consist of--personal injury, etc. A good place to look at if your friend does not want to talk to a lawyer, google debt collections in your state or look at Nolo Press. Big states have more items out on the market than smaller states. Look for law school materials/law schools or the state law library or a public law library or large public library. Ask at a reference desk at a public library for sources of information on collecting judgments. They will tell you they can't give advice--tell them you are not asking for advice just materials to help you collect your judgment in your state. Many times the defendant is judgment proof and the debt uncollectable.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: October 05, 2019 10:11AM
Obviously, your friend had a lawyer at some point since you can’t get a judgement without one. It should have been his responsibility to make sure there were assets to back up the judgement. No sense in suing a deadbeat or getting a $1,000,000 judgement against somebody living in his car (unless it’s a Ford GT40 or ‘54 Ferrari).
Posted by: lost in space
Date: October 05, 2019 11:09AM
Thanks, all!

Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 05, 2019 03:48PM
I once had a judgement against a construction contractor my company subcontracted to. I knew where they banked from previous payments. But I couldn’t get any money from that account because the contractor had a zero balance account:

“ZERO BALANCE CHECKING
Best suited for businesses that maintain multiple accounts. A balance of zero is maintained by automatically transferring funds from a master account daily to cover items presented.”

The contractor had another account at the bank in a name other than that on my judgement which was the ‘master account’ and I couldn’t touch the master account without getting another judgement - and the contractor would simply have opened a new master account in a new corporate name. I eventually filed against the bond on the construction project and got all my money save what I paid a lawyer for my original judgement.

There are less than reputable doctors whose fees are paid to a third party making the doctors judgement-proof. People who know what they are doing can always hide their money.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2019 03:50PM by Speedy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 237
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018