Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anova Nano sous vide stick
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 06, 2019 05:35PM

'Nuff said.

Ok, those are two of the dumbest words in QWERTYville or anywhere else.

Review: Anova Nano sous vide stick is a great iPhone-connected cooking gadget

The Anova Precision Cooker Nano is a fun, techy, and precise way took cook everything from creme brulee to steaks with your iPhone as your sous chef.

Sous-vide?

Sous-vide for the uninitiated, is a style of cooking where the food is immersed in a very precisely controlled water bath for between one and seven hours. The food is put into a vacuum-sealed bag, with its name being the french for "under vacuum."

The logic behind it is when a piece of meat is tossed on a grill or other high heat, by the time the dead center is cooked to the temperature you want, much of the rest is overcooked.

The original Anova precision sous-vide machine was pricier and larger than the Nano, which has improved on both drastically. Nano is finally small enough to easily fit into a kitchen drawer without taking up much space.

Also, since we originally used the initial Anova machine, the app has improved significantly, making it much easier to use and having a more modern appearance.

Anova has recently taken the wraps off a new high-end machine, designed for professional kitchens, but the Nano is squarely focused on the entry-level market.

[appleinsider.com]

I've been wanting to try sous vide for some time, and this new Anova Nano Nano has really peaked my interest. Crème Brûlée may not be high on the list (though I've got 20oz CorningWare cups that might work) but that steak is exactly how I like mine cooked. But it's very difficult to achieve in traditional cooking and unless were talking Kobe beef grade, rare meat can be a little chewy. So sous vide is in both the must and probably will containers!

$100 at AMZ. Maybe cheaper if you can find a sale.

Cue the Pointer Sisters ode to meat.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anova Nano sous vide stick
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 06, 2019 05:51PM
I picked up the "regular" size Anova a few years ago. Using it stupid simple. Because it controls the temperature SO carefully, you just can't overcook food. I left an eye round roast in for ~ 24 HOURS. It came out BRIGHT PINK from edge to edge and, was as tender as pot roast. The fat had melted out so, I enjoyed medium rare roast beef that was VERY lean (but still juicy).
Posted by: pipiens
Date: October 06, 2019 05:59PM
Anova and similar have made sous vide easy peasy. I started with a PID controller and a crock pot many years ago. It is my go to cooking method.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 06, 2019 06:35PM
Take it out of the bag, put it on a cast iron heated to as hot as you can get it and sear it for a minute on each side! Add some butter and onions!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: August West
Date: October 06, 2019 09:41PM
I eventually grabbed the Bernzomatic for searing duties. I've been sous-videing meats for many years now. Did a hanger steak today.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 06, 2019 09:51PM
I have a sous vide but find it more useful for veggies than for steaks. Just get a cast iron skillet good and hot and go for it.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 06, 2019 10:47PM
Recently, on a new episode of Good Eats Reloaded, Alton tackled Sous Vide.
Posted by: bruceko
Date: October 06, 2019 11:27PM
have they got wifi working well on the new anova? i have the earlier version and connecting to wif totally sucked they wanted me to change the password on my wifi network because the anova could not take a - symbol. otherwise it works great

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2019 11:28PM by bruceko.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 06, 2019 11:48PM
Why would you need any sort of computer connection to that thing?

Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 07, 2019 12:00AM
to me that is almost a deal breaker.
Date: October 07, 2019 06:27AM
Why would you need any sort of computer connection to that thing?

Well, you don't need a computer connection any more than you need a computer.

But it can be convenient to monitor the cooking via its app on your 'Phone, from your E-Z chair.

The Nano has BT but not WiFi, so no cooking from the office.

The older model may still be in the retail lineup if WiFi is needed.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: DP
Date: October 07, 2019 07:10AM
What is the red-and-white clip holding on the pot?

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: bruceko
Date: October 07, 2019 11:02AM
DP
What is the red-and-white clip holding on the pot?

when you cook the food is put in a plastic bag let the air out then put the bag in the water. the clip is to hold the bag in place
Date: October 07, 2019 02:00PM
when you cook the food is put in a plastic bag let the air out then put the bag in the water. the clip is to hold the bag in place

Yes.

Air keeps the hot water from cooking food evenly and can cause the bag to float, also impairing cooking. Some people vacuum seal foods for sous vide, but it's not at all necessary. It's particularly handy though if one vacuums and freezes food.

Pull a steak out of the freezer, slap it in a pan to sear, done. Tender, rare but cooked steak. I'd love to try tri-tip sous vide.

Also one can vacuum, sous vide, freeze, and reheat.

Clipping the bag to the side of the vessel means not having to fish it out of the water. It might even cook more evenly than lying on the bottom.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: October 07, 2019 07:02PM
Can you thaw meat with it? Can you thaw and then continue cooking?
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: October 08, 2019 04:25AM
yes u can
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 160
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018