advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
cable modem problem
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: October 08, 2019 10:47AM
my formerly trusty asus cm-16 cable modem went on the fritz last night. only the power light stays on constantly; the ds light blinks and the lan (?) light at the bottom blinks intermittently.

this problem began last night with the same status. i unplugged the power and replugged after 30 seconds, did the ol' 30/30/30 reset, reset a couple of times using the reset button and nothing worked. i high-tailed it down to my local office depot and bought a spiffy (?) new arris surfboard 6190. when i got home after about 45 minutes, behold: the installed unit was working, likely frightened that it was about to be taken out of commission. i used it without issue for a while, then went to bed. this morning it’s back in the status that started (stopped) things last night. i don’t remember the last thing i did before leaving last night, so i’ve just repeated everything this morning. i also unplugged everything, then plugged in the ethernet, then the cable, waited 30 seconds, then the power. nothing. reversed that procedure—plugged in the power, then the cable. still no joy.

i haven’t opened the new router yet, hoping that i can dependably resurrect the current one with responses to this post. assuming i'm out of luck and before i open the new one, i’m curious about the collective wisdom of the forum about preferred routers these days. the sb6190 cost me $97 after tax. i’m not adverse to spending a little more, but i’d like to be confident that my extra bucks are buying me something. i have searched the forum and found only this.

my current comcast connection was 150/10 and on october 1 i received notice that it had been increased to 200/10. i haven’t done whatever i’m supposed to do to get the new speed. in actual usage, fast.com consistently tells me that i’m getting about 33 mbs down.

did i leave out any essential info?

i’m sending this from my local coffee shop.

tia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 11:00AM by goodmanx.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: cable modem problem
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 08, 2019 11:05AM
Been there, done that, it was a bad cable. Check signal levels. I forgot the IP, I think it is 192.168.100.1
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 08, 2019 11:21AM
....what about the IP.......IP Daily....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: October 08, 2019 11:24AM
s/t--which cable? internet from the wall? ethernet (can't imagine, since it's out only, as i understand)?

thanx for responding.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 08, 2019 11:26AM
Comcast had several regional outages last night.

My service went out around 8pm and was still out this morning. A client's service was not restored until after 10am today.

Reboot your modem (pull the plug for a minute, then plug back in) and see what happens this evening.

Date: October 08, 2019 01:19PM
s/t--replacing the coax cable seems to have done the trick--thanx!

sarc--thanx for responding. we confirmed that there were no local outages before doing naything else last night.

meanwhile, anyone got any comcast compatible cable modem recommendations?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 08, 2019 01:35PM
One of these.
[www.approvedmodems.com]

Make sure that it does gigabit.

Motorola is the reliable standard.

I don't like the Netgears, but they do the job. If there's a big price savings then I wouldn't tell ya not to go with a Netgear.

...If you can get a deal on a DOCSIS 3.1, that offers some future-proofing vs DOCSIS 3.0.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 01:37PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 08, 2019 01:59PM
"then plugged in the ethernet, then the cable,"

I thought the proper order of starting up was:
1: internet source (incoming coax or fiber) to modem (cable or fiber). Then power up modem.
2: once the modem lights come on (30~60 seconds) then restart a separate router (some modems have built in routers)
3: once the router lights are on (another 30~60 seconds) then connect ethernet cable to wherever it's going to (or, start WiFi if there will be NO ethernet connections)
4: restart computer(s)
5: check that internet service IS working

Have procedures changed in the recent past? old fogey smiley
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 08, 2019 05:45PM
from Comcrap:
  1. Plug in power to modem & turn on
  2. Connect coax service cable to modem
  3. Wait for modem lights to finish their dance.
  4. Connect computer direct to modem via ethernet cable
  5. Open browser & go to: xfinity.com/activate
  6. Follow the on-screen prompts to activate the new modem.
  7. Once modem reboots, you can reconnect your router to the modem.
You'll need your comcast user ID & password. Might also need your account #, depending on locale.
If the above fails, call 1-877-338-5965. You will need:
  • Account #
  • Modem MAC Address & Serial #
  • User Name
  • Password
  • Patience, lots of patience!
Check for modem compatibility here.
UPDATE:
On-line activation failed, had to call Comcrap. PITA!

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 06:06PM by MrNoBody.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 277
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018