advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cursory Glance At Apple Arcade
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: October 08, 2019 11:26AM
So I went up to my home office last night and noticed an Apple TV upgrade. Clean new interface with an Apple Arcade icon. I checked it out for a bit, but didn't sign up for the free trial yet.

There are dozens of games...that I've never heard of. I'm a very casual gamer, and don't play all that much, but it was a bit intimidating thinking about learning all these new games.

I didn't see any traditional card games, or any sporting type stuff, except for a racing game.

I wasn't too impressed, but perhaps the Arcade will grow with time. I was hoping for at least a few traditional card and board games, but didn't notice any. I was hoping for a batch of classics from the 80's that I lost a lot of quarters to way back when.

For crying out loud, Steve Jobs WORKED at Atari for awhile! With all of Apple's cash, you would think they could have bought, (or licensed) a pack or two of the classics for us old folks who don't LIKE new stuff.

What say you? Do you think Apple could have tossed in some classic or traditional games in with the launch? dunno smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cursory Glance At Apple Arcade
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 08, 2019 11:48AM
Apple's break with the gaming community can be traced to one major event -- remember, HALO: COMBAT EVOLVED was a made-for-PowerPC game that Jobs premiered at the 99 Macworld Expo. It was going to be a grand re-dive into the gaming world for Apple, with simultaneous release for Mac and PC.

Then Microsoft came into the picture, made the game an XBox exclusive launch title; I truly believe Jobs felt betrayed by this (regardless of the Mac OS release) and invoked his infamous "that's it we're done with that" (see also NVidia spilling the beans about the flat-panel iMac the night before the reveal, as I recall).

Make it a good day today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 11:49AM by Zoidberg.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 08, 2019 12:29PM
Rick-o
I didn't see any traditional card games, or any sporting type stuff, except for a racing game.

I wasn't too impressed, but perhaps the Arcade will grow with time. I was hoping for at least a few traditional card and board games, but didn't notice any. I was hoping for a batch of classics from the 80's that I lost a lot of quarters to way back when.

As I recall, the old MacAddict CDs came with with Mac-specific versions of classic arcade games from time to time but they always had different names, such as the Mac version of Tempest being called "Tangram" or something like that. Maybe Apple is playing that same game still and once you open the files you'll see that "Bug Attack!" is nothing more or less than good ol' Galaga.

Resist the Thought Police- George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 08, 2019 12:49PM
(...NVidia spilling the beans about the flat-panel iMac the night before the reveal, as I recall).

I don't remember that but, I do recall ATi dropping the ball and accidentally leaking the details of a gen of G3 iMacs.

Jobs punished them and dropped them from making OEM video for any Mac, and striking their mention form the handouts at MWSF.

I also remember asking Dr. Bott at the following MWSF if they had any literature on their external antennas for the AEBS, which they were showing. They said no, that they were waiting to print until after the the announcements, because of what happened to ATi.

At least that's how I remember it.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 08, 2019 01:03PM
RAMd®d
(...NVidia spilling the beans about the flat-panel iMac the night before the reveal, as I recall).

I don't remember that but, I do recall ATi dropping the ball and accidentally leaking the details of a gen of G3 iMacs.

Jobs punished them and dropped them from making OEM video for any Mac, and striking their mention form the handouts at MWSF.

I also remember asking Dr. Bott at the following MWSF if they had any literature on their external antennas for the AEBS, which they were showing. They said no, that they were waiting to print until after the the announcements, because of what happened to ATi.

At least that's how I remember it.

That might be what I'm misremembering; the ATi thing.

I'm recalling that, the night before the keynote, a VP from the firm was on a business show (MSNBC I believe) and started talking about the new flat-panel iMac (which would be making its debut the next morning).

Make it a good day today.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 08, 2019 01:46PM
I'm recalling that, the night before the keynote, a VP from the firm was on a business show (MSNBC I believe) and started talking about the new flat-panel iMac (which would be making its debut the next morning).

I may be misremembering, and maybe it was the flat panel G4 and not the G3s.

There was a spate where there were no ATi graphics shipped in iMacs (starting with the flat panels) and Power Macs (starting with the Quicksilver Power Mac).

But I could have sworn there was something with the G3 iMacs.

Now, where did I put that ginko biloba.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 08, 2019 07:00PM
Thrift Store Scott
Rick-o

As I recall, the old MacAddict CDs came with with Mac-specific versions of classic arcade games from time to time but they always had different names, such as the Mac version of Tempest being called "Tangram" or something like that. Maybe Apple is playing that same game still and once you open the files you'll see that "Bug Attack!" is nothing more or less than good ol' Galaga.

One of the best Tetris games for Mac back in those days was Bricklayer. I'm a big Tetris fan and loved that game.

Grateful11
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 08, 2019 08:13PM
Zoidberg
Apple's break with the gaming community can be traced to one major event -- remember, HALO: COMBAT EVOLVED was a made-for-PowerPC game that Jobs premiered at the 99 Macworld Expo. It was going to be a grand re-dive into the gaming world for Apple, with simultaneous release for Mac and PC.

Then Microsoft came into the picture, made the game an XBox exclusive launch title; I truly believe Jobs felt betrayed by this (regardless of the Mac OS release) and invoked his infamous "that's it we're done with that" (see also NVidia spilling the beans about the flat-panel iMac the night before the reveal, as I recall).

My recollection is that Apple gave Bungie the cold shoulder before then, and had never really liked their computers being as gaming machines. This was from talking to people in the Berkeley Mac community. Bungie was based in Berkeley and some of their employees were in the local MUG, and I knew several people that had played the game on their Macs.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 278
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018