advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Renting car in CO - how to get 4WD without surprise charges?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 08, 2019 11:46AM
Need a rental car in Denver late this month, and will definitely want 4WD/AWD.

Rental companies, especially at the airport, are notorious for not committing to a 4WD/AWD vehicle when you make the reservation, saying that it all depends on the available stock when you rent.

This often means that if your 'class' of vehicle isn't available in 4WD/AWD, your only option is to upgrade for $$$, or try your luck at another rental agency.

Any tried and true, experience-based suggestions? Honestly not looking for random ideas so much as things that have worked for you. Thanks, brilliant forum!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Renting car in CO - how to get 4WD without surprise charges?
Posted by: Maddog
Date: October 08, 2019 12:00PM
I would recommend you look into Turo. It is an app and allows you to rent from others, not car companies. You can search for what type of car you are looking for. I use it in Ft. Collins to rent a van, worked well.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 08, 2019 12:12PM
I looked at Turo when it first came out. I thought it was crazy expensive and, I wondered what kind of insurance coverage you’d be getting.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 08, 2019 12:19PM
testcase
I looked at Turo when it first came out. I thought it was crazy expensive and, I wondered what kind of insurance coverage you’d be getting.

It just depends upon whats available in your local market whether its worthwhile. Yes, there are a lot of people who will rent you a card for multiple hundreds of dollars a day.

Date: October 08, 2019 12:45PM
Maddog
I would recommend you look into Turo. It is an app and allows you to rent from others, not car companies. You can search for what type of car you are looking for. I use it in Ft. Collins to rent a van, worked well.

Thanks - this seems like a good alternative!

rj
AKA
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: October 08, 2019 01:01PM
You could also see if there's a Toyota Rent a Car option near you destination. It will be at a dealership. You will generally pay less in taxes, and you'll be able to choose a specific vehicle.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 08, 2019 01:17PM
You plan on going off road?

Most rental co's wont allow that, right in the contract -- 4/AWD or not.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: August West
Date: October 08, 2019 01:25PM
I have to ask about the absolute necessity of 4 wheel drive. I've lived in many snowy areas and survived with front-wheel drive (I have also owned 4WD). Unless you are anticipating driving on unplowed roads (or off road) even a small fwd car can get you around.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: October 08, 2019 01:26PM
If you reserve an SUV, I would not be be surprised if they were all AWD in Denver
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 08, 2019 01:56PM
This time of the year in the Rocky Mtns. can sometimes be sketchier than the middle of winter. Lots of people still driving on summer tires, snowstorms come in a little wetter (meaning slippery) and no snowbanks to keep you from going over the edge if you do start sliding.

Also, it is big game migration season.

[forums.macresource.com]

Added note: beware possible loss of use charges:

[www.usatoday.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 01:57PM by btfc.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 08, 2019 01:59PM
I would be more concerned with the tires on that vehicle than fwd or awd. Most car manufacturers and rental companies use one tire for the whole country when that's a bad idea for obvious reasons. Turo may be a good option for this reason alone.
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: October 08, 2019 02:27PM
Do any of the Rental companies have Subarus?
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 08, 2019 03:38PM
kurtzie
Do any of the Rental companies have Subarus?

I've gotten a few Subarus from Avis. The issue is that you reserve a size class not a brand. If you have status with a rental agency, you have a better chance of exchanging or getting a larger vehicle. I often get to pick from what's available when I rent.

Take a look at Silver Car. They rent at Denver airport and IIRC only rent Audis.
Posted by: JPK
Date: October 08, 2019 04:26PM
SilverCar has Audi quattro cars. You can even rent a Q7 in some locations.

John P. Kelly
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 08, 2019 05:00PM
August West
I have to ask about the absolute necessity of 4 wheel drive. I've lived in many snowy areas and survived with front-wheel drive (I have also owned 4WD). Unless you are anticipating driving on unplowed roads (or off road) even a small fwd car can get you around.

I was gonna ask the same sorta thing, as in "what are you doing that would necessiate AWD" -- but thought I would just mention the off road clause.

Aim gonna assume we all already know AWD isnt some magic safety shield for driving in foul weather.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: October 08, 2019 09:16PM
I was planning to rent a car in CO in Jan. I think AWD/4WD is now required to drive I70 in the "winter" (which spans Sept to June), so not sure how rental car companies could get away with renting cars that are illegal to drive now on the road in the state you are renting in. But this is worth a call to find out how this works. I guess they could rent or give you chains, since under the article below that would comply, but that seems like a bad idea for all of us that don't know how to use or install them.

[www.thedenverchannel.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 08, 2019 09:33PM
reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry rents a car. [www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 09, 2019 03:30AM
michaelb
I was planning to rent a car in CO in Jan. I think AWD/4WD is now required to drive I70 in the "winter" (which spans Sept to June), so not sure how rental car companies could get away with renting cars that are illegal to drive now on the road in the state you are renting in. But this is worth a call to find out how this works. I guess they could rent or give you chains, since under the article below that would comply, but that seems like a bad idea for all of us that don't know how to use or install them.

[www.thedenverchannel.com]

Very interesting. Almost like California.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: October 09, 2019 08:49AM
I definitely need AWD/4WD, and it's not about off-roading. It's about navigating rural CO in snow season. Maybe it will be dry and easy driving, but you never know at this time of year.

Looks like Turo is going to be the best option, given cost and guarantee of 4WD/AWD. Thanks, all!

rj
AKA
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 09, 2019 09:41PM
$50/day - [turo.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 279
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018