advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Where is my data leaking? How did FB figure out my hard drive situation?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: October 08, 2019 12:31PM
Over the weekend I accidentally erased a hard drive and used an extraction program to search for my data. I reached out to 2 friends on Apple Messages. The browser (in private mode) I used to find a recovery app (Drive Drill) had cookies cleared and has never been used for FB. I use gmail on a separate browser. I only use FB on my phone and iPad app. Yet there is an ad that says,” get your weekend hard drive oops fixed”. It is an ad for hard drive data extraction.

Last week I had a flat tire and a few days later I started getting ads for tire repair. This is 2 “coincidences” in consecutive weeks. Anyone know WTH is going on?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Where is my data leaking? How did FB figure out my hard drive situation?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 08, 2019 12:34PM
.....as one ages.....it is harder and harder to figure out where the leaks are coming from......thank god for adult diapers...

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: October 08, 2019 12:38PM
Hmm...
I wonder what separates browser data from Facebook's Stormtroopers on the iPad? (actual question, not intimating that's definitely the problem...).

I'm assuming you've never used the "Login with facebook credentials" to any web site? Or, for that matter, "Login with Google"?

If you use Chrome, do you have it set to sync your data/browsing history across platforms?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: October 08, 2019 12:39PM
Paul F.
Hmm...
I wonder what separates browser data from Facebook's Stormtroopers on the iPad? (actual question, not intimating that's definitely the problem...).

I'm assuming you've never used the "Login with facebook credentials" to any web site? Or, for that matter, "Login with Google"?

If you use Chrome, do you have it set to sync your data/browsing history across platforms?

I use the gmail app but I did not email anyone about this nor did I use my gmail to buy anything related.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 08, 2019 12:49PM
They really are better at this than you are at avoiding it. It's only getting scarier from here!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 08, 2019 12:50PM
I've used Drive Drill and it worked well for me. Now I'll see if Drive Drill shows up in ads.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: October 08, 2019 12:52PM
This being Facebook, you also have to rule out talking out loud near the devices that have fb’s app.
If you have not done already, maybe you want to try the setting that asks for permission every time it wants to use the mic, camera, etc.

• back to confinement

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 08, 2019 12:58PM
Was your phone nearby? It listens...

No, seriously. It does. If you've installed the FB Messenger app.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 08, 2019 01:45PM
Just wait and see what ads you get after you buy SOD........ smiley-shocked003
Date: October 08, 2019 01:56PM
ztirffritz
Was your phone nearby? It listens...

No, seriously. It does. If you've installed the FB Messenger app.

It was in my pocket as I was talking to another person in the room about the situation.

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: October 08, 2019 02:19PM
pRICE cUBE
Yet there is an ad that says,” get your weekend hard drive oops fixed”…later I started getting ads for tire repair.

Just block ads:

[1blocker.com]
Posted by: datbeme
Date: October 08, 2019 02:30PM
Article Accelerator
pRICE cUBE
Yet there is an ad that says,” get your weekend hard drive oops fixed”…later I started getting ads for tire repair.

Just block ads:

[1blocker.com]

Better yet: Open that link in a private window and see how long it takes to show up in your Facebook feed.
Posted by: pinion
Date: October 08, 2019 03:03PM
For those saying your device is listening to you please post some studies that have been done that prove that. I really want to read them.

In my opinion, regardless if you're in a private tab, FB knows what IP addresses you are visiting from and can, with a high degree of certainty, deliver ads appropriate to you. They have trackers everywhere that the sites we visit have embedded into them and then they can pull all sorts of information even in a private tab.

I've never used this site I'm linking but looking at it I think it does a good job of showing what information FB can gather about you on any site you visit that has one of their like buttons tracking your web browsing: [webkay.robinlinus.com]

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 08, 2019 03:48PM
This isn't a study, but rather anecdotal 'evidence'. I realize one data point does not define a trend.

I was discussing a manufacturing process with colleagues at work. I mentioned that I'd really benefit from assembling the components with the aid of a gantry crane. Suddenly, my Facebook feed was saturated with advertisements from Grainger.com and McMaster-Carr for gantry cranes. I never actually searched for cranes. I just mentioned that I needed one. This isn't a casual item that they randomly throw into user ads. It's a dedicated piece of equipment that costs many thousands of dollars. That it was targeted at me the same day that I talked about needing a crane was enough to convince me.

pinion
For those saying your device is listening to you please post some studies that have been done that prove that. I really want to read them.

In my opinion, regardless if you're in a private tab, FB knows what IP addresses you are visiting from and can, with a high degree of certainty, deliver ads appropriate to you. They have trackers everywhere that the sites we visit have embedded into them and then they can pull all sorts of information even in a private tab.

I've never used this site I'm linking but looking at it I think it does a good job of showing what information FB can gather about you on any site you visit that has one of their like buttons tracking your web browsing: [webkay.robinlinus.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: pinion
Date: October 08, 2019 05:20PM
I hear you and I agree it's creepy. I also don't know for sure how it works but if they were actually listening in that would be against the law. What I think most likely happened is someone from your work then went and looked up the stuff you were talking about. Then FB is able to tie all that information together with whatever it already knows about you and send you a targeted ad they think you might click through on. Like I said, they have a crazy amount of information on you already. Even people without FB profiles, they still get you in their database and track whatever they can about you.

ztirffritz
This isn't a study, but rather anecdotal 'evidence'. I realize one data point does not define a trend.

I was discussing a manufacturing process with colleagues at work. I mentioned that I'd really benefit from assembling the components with the aid of a gantry crane. Suddenly, my Facebook feed was saturated with advertisements from Grainger.com and McMaster-Carr for gantry cranes. I never actually searched for cranes. I just mentioned that I needed one. This isn't a casual item that they randomly throw into user ads. It's a dedicated piece of equipment that costs many thousands of dollars. That it was targeted at me the same day that I talked about needing a crane was enough to convince me.

pinion

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 08, 2019 05:23PM
Well, darn it, if they have THAT much info, then why it is so hard to find a person to patch my roof?! Come on, facebook, I've been searching on open browsers for weeks...!

pinion
I hear you and I agree it's creepy. I also don't know for sure how it works but if they were actually listening in that would be against the law. What I think most likely happened is someone from your work then went and looked up the stuff you were talking about. Then FB is able to tie all that information together with whatever it already knows about you and send you a targeted ad they think you might click through on. Like I said, they have a crazy amount of information on you already. Even people without FB profiles, they still get you in their database and track whatever they can about you.

ztirffritz

pinion

Posted by: Bernie
Date: October 08, 2019 06:50PM
Snoopy

Mostly False

What's True
The Facebook 'Identify TV and Music' app can use a smart phone's microphone to identify what song or TV show a user is listening to and automatically insert that information into a status update.

What's False
The app does not secretly record and store private conversations; Facebook repeatedly stated that the feature is never used to tailor advertising.

Bad question
Ask about Facebook Messenger terms of service and Snoopy says

"Facebook’s Messenger App, which boasts over 1,000,000,000 downloads, requires the acceptance of an alarming amount of personal data and, even more startling, direct control over your mobile device. I’m willing to bet that few, if any, of those who downloaded this app read the full Terms of Service before accepting them and downloading the app.If you’re one of those 1,000,000,000 people who have downloaded this app, take a moment to read the following. I’ve posted, word for word, a few of the most aggressive app permission you’ve accepted.

Allows the app to change the state of network connectivity.
Allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention. This may result in unexpected charges or calls. Malicious apps may cost you money by making calls without your confirmation.
Allows the app to send SMS messages. This may result in unexpected charges. Malicious apps may cost you money by sending messages without your confirmation.
Allows the app to record audio with microphone. This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation.
Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation.
Allows the app to read you phone’s call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. This permission allows apps to save your call log data, and malicious apps may share call log data without your knowledge.
Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your phone, including the frequency with which you’ve called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals.
Allows the app to read personal profile information stored on your device, such as your name and contact information. This means the app can identify you and may send your profile information to others.
Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call.
Allows the app to get a list of accounts known by the phone. This may include any accounts created by applications you have installed."

secret smiley

Staunton, Virginia
Date: October 09, 2019 08:16AM
I have deleted FB Messenger.

Bernie
Snoopy

Mostly False

What's True
The Facebook 'Identify TV and Music' app can use a smart phone's microphone to identify what song or TV show a user is listening to and automatically insert that information into a status update.

What's False
The app does not secretly record and store private conversations; Facebook repeatedly stated that the feature is never used to tailor advertising.

Bad question
Ask about Facebook Messenger terms of service and Snoopy says

"Facebook’s Messenger App, which boasts over 1,000,000,000 downloads, requires the acceptance of an alarming amount of personal data and, even more startling, direct control over your mobile device. I’m willing to bet that few, if any, of those who downloaded this app read the full Terms of Service before accepting them and downloading the app.If you’re one of those 1,000,000,000 people who have downloaded this app, take a moment to read the following. I’ve posted, word for word, a few of the most aggressive app permission you’ve accepted.

Allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention. This may result in unexpected charges or calls. Malicious apps may cost you money by making calls without your confirmation.
Allows the app to send SMS messages. This may result in unexpected charges. Malicious apps may cost you money by sending messages without your confirmation.
Allows the app to record audio with microphone. This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation.
Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation.
Allows the app to read you phone’s call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. This permission allows apps to save your call log data, and malicious apps may share call log data without your knowledge.
Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your phone, including the frequency with which you’ve called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals.
Allows the app to read personal profile information stored on your device, such as your name and contact information. This means the app can identify you and may send your profile information to others.
Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call.
Allows the app to get a list of accounts known by the phone. This may include any accounts created by applications you have installed."

secret smiley

Posted by: ArtP
Date: October 09, 2019 03:00PM
rich in distress
This being Facebook, you also have to rule out talking out loud near the devices that have fb’s app.
If you have not done already, maybe you want to try the setting that asks for permission every time it wants to use the mic, camera, etc.

^^^This

Siri is ALWAYS listening and Siri is in bed with Facebook whispering sweet nothings and telling all your secrets.

I was DJing a party earlier this summer - outdoor picnic. Wind blew some dust on a my control record- I picked up needle did a finger clean and THOUGHT TO MYSELF - time to get new needles soon.

Looked at my phone 10 minutes later and this was in my feed...

SCARY!!! Facebook KNOWS what u are thinking too...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 279
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018