advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
AirPod batteries
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 08, 2019 12:47PM
Their incredibly deceptive headline at the link must have been written by some clickbait-writer who did not read the article but merely skimmed the photos.

After weeks of back-and-forth with Apple — and refusing to take no for an answer at the store — I finally got answers:

If your AirPods are less than a year old and the battery is not performing up to the promised five hours of listening time, an Apple store will replace them at no cost.
Apple recently began selling its AppleCare+ warranty for $29, which covers the battery, too. But this extended warranty lasts only two years — which wouldn’t have been long enough to save my AirPods.
If your AirPods are out of warranty, Apple will replace them for $49 per stick — so in reality, $98 total. A replacement for the charging case, which doesn’t wear out as quickly, is also $49. The key phrase to say is “battery service.” (Apple is providing additional training to customer service representatives on that point, but if you still have trouble, show them this link — or this column.)

A $98 battery fix is still mighty expensive. Apple will replace the battery on an iPhone for as little as $49. An Apple Watch battery costs just $79. What makes AirPods so different? Because Apple’s “battery service” for AirPods is code for “throwing it away.” Apple isn’t repairing AirPods — it’s just replacing the ear buds and recycling your old ones.

To understand why, I performed an autopsy on a dearly departed pair. Inside, I found the design of AirPods makes them inevitably obsolete.

“Apple’s products are designed with the environment in mind,” said Lodes, the Apple spokeswoman. “Everything from the materials we select to the way we approach recycling is meant to leave the world better than we found it.”

How exactly are AirPods designed with the environment in mind? Because you can bring them to Apple to be recycled. “We work closely with our recyclers to ensure AirPods are properly recycled and provide support to recyclers outside of our supply chain as well,” Lodes said.

That’s like saying your daily paper coffee cup habit is good for the environment because you always put it in the recycling bin. AirPods may be worse than that: They’re so small, there’s isn’t much material that can be recycled from them. Significant energy, water and materials go just into the process of making AirPods.
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: AirPod batteries
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 08, 2019 01:11PM
I'm impressed somebody can keep 'em for 2 years. I buy headphones all the time (big one's last, but those little ones, I'm gonna wear those out).
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 08, 2019 01:14PM
Out of curiosity, how does one "wear out" headphones?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: October 08, 2019 01:18PM
jdc

Mostly sweating them out. They always claim to be sweatproof, but an hour and a half of sweat every day puts 'em to the test. They all fail over time. But that's ok, they've done their job.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 08, 2019 01:47PM
vision63
jdc

Mostly sweating them out. They always claim to be sweatproof, but an hour and a half of sweat every day puts 'em to the test. They all fail over time. But that's ok, they've done their job.

Well airpods arent waterproof, so I could see how that would be an issue.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 08, 2019 02:17PM
....and ear....boogies......corrode..........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: October 08, 2019 06:20PM
My pods were subjected to 4-5 sweat-soaked workouts most weeks.

After two years, they still worked, but I was juuust getting about two hours out of them, which was enough for my workouts.

Still a bargain. I don't like wires and all other BT buds would last at best 6 months.

The best ones I had before the pods were Plantronics Backbeat 903s.

I liked these because they didn't isolate your ears, so they were good for running on the road, where I needed to hear the traffic.

My old pods are still used at work. I use them for walks, which are usually only 30 minutes, so the reduced battery capacity is not yet a factor.
Date: October 08, 2019 06:55PM
Lux Interior
My pods were subjected to 4-5 sweat-soaked workouts most weeks.

After two years, they still worked, but I was juuust getting about two hours out of them, which was enough for my workouts.

Still a bargain. I don't like wires and all other BT buds would last at best 6 months.

The best ones I had before the pods were Plantronics Backbeat 903s.

I liked these because they didn't isolate your ears, so they were good for running on the road, where I needed to hear the traffic.

My old pods are still used at work. I use them for walks, which are usually only 30 minutes, so the reduced battery capacity is not yet a factor.

I've had those Plantronics BackBeat. Those are great for me. I have 5 pair of the next version of those (Thank you Groupon). They sound even better. The Plantronics BackBeat Fit.

They're "perfect" for running because of the eartips allowing just enough ambient sound while still delivering a nice punchy sound. I don't know how people run with headphones stuffed into their ear canals and live. I can get 5 hours and up to 8 hours of talking out of them. $30 bucks on Groupon. I caught a sale about a year ago though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 275
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018