advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Okay. So I'm not going to upgrade to Catalina…...is there any way to get rid of the little red alert badge on my System preferences dock icon?
Posted by: jonny
Date: October 08, 2019 02:22PM
Okay. So I'm not going to upgrade to Catalina…...is there any way to get rid of the little red alert badge on my System preferences dock icon?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 02:24PM by jonny.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Okay. So I'm not going to upgrade to Catalina…...is there any way to get rid of the little red alert badge on my System preferences dock icon?
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 08, 2019 02:58PM
What is the concern about upgrading? I upgraded my son's MB Air yesterday with no issues that I'm aware of.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Re: Okay. So I'm not going to upgrade to Catalina…...is there any way to get rid of the little red alert badge on my System preferences dock icon?
Date: October 08, 2019 03:03PM
300 of my applications (only a handful of which I use regularly, but still) are not compatible.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 08, 2019 03:15PM
jonny

Electrical tape?

smiley-laughing001

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: modelamac
Date: October 08, 2019 03:34PM
jonny,

I'm not sure there is a way. It is not in Notifications Center, as I just checked. I would suggest that you remove Sys Pref from the Dock, and see if you can tolerate using the Apple Contextual Menu dropdown (black Apple icon).

I downloaded Spark(free) and set it up to use the F keys for launching my 6 most used app, including Sys Prefs. I also have app aliases in a folder in the Dock. These are all tools, such as Disk Util., CCC, Terminal, EtreCheck, etc.

I'm sticking with Mojave as my daily driver until Catalina or it's successor gives me some critical functions still available in Mojave and earlier. There are some 32-bit apps needing updating as well before I make the move. I don't need Catalina at all, but will play with it to see if I can figure out a way to live with it (I like it's extra security).

jonny

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Date: October 08, 2019 03:37PM
modelamac
jonny,

I'm not sure there is a way. It is not in Notifications Center, as I just checked. I would suggest that you remove Sys Pref from the Dock, and see if you can tolerate using the Apple Contextual Menu dropdown (black Apple icon).

I downloaded Spark(free) and set it up to use the F keys for launching my 6 most used app, including Sys Prefs. I also have app aliases in a folder in the Dock. These are all tools, such as Disk Util., CCC, Terminal, EtreCheck, etc.

I'm sticking with Mojave as my daily driver until Catalina or it's successor gives me some critical functions still available in Mojave and earlier. There are some 32-bit apps needing updating as well before I make the move. I don't need Catalina at all, but will play with it to see if I can figure out a way to live with it (I like it's extra security).

jonny
Yeah... I think That's the direction I'll head. Thanks for the suggestions!
Date: October 08, 2019 04:03PM
Found this, but not quite worth the trouble...
[apple.stackexchange.com]
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 08, 2019 04:11PM
I didn't see that there was an alert badge from Catalina on the System Pref's icon on any of the Mojave Macs I've hit today.

There were alerts for other items, including last week's security update. (There should be a link to install those updates below the stupid banner for Catalina in the Software Update preferences.) Once those updates were done, there was no more badge.

Date: October 08, 2019 04:15PM
Sarcany
I didn't see that there was an alert badge from Catalina on the System Pref's icon on any of the Mojave Macs I've hit today.

There were alerts for other items, including last week's security update. (There should be a link to install those updates below the stupid banner for Catalina in the Software Update preferences.) Once those updates were done, there was no more badge.

Well... I got one. Only one update to perform.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 08, 2019 04:48PM
If Cat® installs as previous OSs, maybe you could launch the installer, and when you get to the last 'page' where you can point where you want the install to land, quit the installer, the badge might go away.

Or sometimes you can click a nag, and it will offer you a time to install and then you quit.

Even turning off badges might not work for System stuff, or if it does, it turns off all badges.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 04:49PM by RAMd®d.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 08, 2019 05:04PM
Once the Cat is out of the bag, it's impossible to go back in!
Posted by: DP
Date: October 08, 2019 05:48PM
I don't get an alert badge next to Sys Prefs...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 12, 2019 03:32PM
Try this in the Terminal:

sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"

defaults delete com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs

Date: October 12, 2019 03:42PM
Sarcany! You're a genius!
...Huh! Weird. Now it says I'm up to date, but there's still a red badge! Go figure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2019 03:54PM by jonny.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 280
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018