advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
F/U to the F/U to the F/U to the...
Posted by: DP
Date: October 08, 2019 06:17PM
I've been dealing with SBBODs and slowness for a while now and have posted with all sorts of questions over the last few months that some of you may recall.

Seeing the questions about Catalina have me posting here to say I'm posting on the forum in El Cap (10.11.6) running from an external HD with an increase in speed and-so far-no SBBODs. I was particularly bothered by issues in the latest versions of Photoshop and discovered, with the help of many here, that I may-MAY!-have a failing HD; the reason I am also running off of a USB3 external spinner is that it is faster than the internal spinner...

I have a couple of issues that I have to go back and forth (the internal is at Mojave) but I am cautiously optimistic. Still doesn't solve the internal HD issue but I can now work in PS CS6 with a couple of workarounds. One problem is not being able to open newer Canon RAW files in CS6 as the Camera Raw version is too old and I would have to download the CC stuff and pay for it to get the updated Camera Raw. CR isn't a separate download any more. But, what I can do is when I'm working with newer CR2 raw files I can convert them to Adobe .dng's in Mojave, then restart in EC and open the .dng's in CS6.

Thx, again, for all the help to get to this point and we'll see how it works out!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: F/U to the F/U to the F/U to the...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 08, 2019 06:18PM
....what the....F.......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Bernie
Date: October 08, 2019 06:28PM
NewtonMP2100
....what the....F.......??
agree smiley

I will be no help on this one.

Fix the easy stuff first.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: deckeda
Date: October 08, 2019 06:33PM
Dying hard disks can really be insidious with false symptoms manifesting elsewhere as fake software issues. Swap it and move on.
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 08, 2019 07:07PM
Re: your RAW issues, have you tried this?

[helpx.adobe.com]
Date: October 08, 2019 07:36PM
btfc
Re: your RAW issues, have you tried this?

[helpx.adobe.com]

That's what I use to convert the CR2's. But I can't do it in El Cap as it tells me the DNG version for CS6 is too old and I can't download it.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: clay
Date: October 08, 2019 08:18PM
you could do like I did and buy the On1 Photo Raw program to handle my RAW conversions/developing. [www.on1.com]

Also a fellow CS6 user left in the dust by Adobe.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 08, 2019 09:27PM
If PS is that big of a deal for anyone, the $10 a month for an essential tool seems like a no-brainer.

Of course, theres always affinity photo, $50

[affinity.serif.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 08, 2019 10:31PM
For a while, with my Nikon camera, I had to do the RAW stuff in the Nikon software before sending it to Photoshop.

[cpn.canon-europe.com]
Date: October 09, 2019 07:25AM
you could do like I did and buy the On1 Photo Raw program to handle my RAW conversions/developing. [www.on1.com]

I have that on the internal HD on Mojave and I hadn't thought of that.

BUT!

If PS is that big of a deal for anyone, the $10 a month for an essential tool seems like a no-brainer.

The reason I need PS is because I use tools, such as the Pen tool for paths, that apps like ON1 don't have. I subscribe already to the $10 per month but PS seems to not like Mojave, or my internal HD, or something, because a lot of my issues occur when I have PS and Bridge open. As of now, I don't have time to keep trying to find out why, which is one of the reasons I've wanted to try running off an an external with a different (and older) OS...

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 09, 2019 01:34PM
DP
I subscribe already to the $10 per month but PS seems to not like Mojave, or my internal HD, or something, because a lot of my issues occur when I have PS and Bridge open...

Possible that it's only happening when you go to update author or event info or the like in an image or multiple images?

There's a notorious bug in Adobe's Camera Raw architecture that causes a Mac to lock up in PS or Bridge when trying to edit metadata.

If so, the only fix I've found is to switch to PhotoMechanic. Once the bug hits, you can't even uninstall and downgrade to a last-known-good version of Camera Raw. The uninstaller and Adobe Cleaner tools leave something behind that continues to screw it up.

Date: October 09, 2019 06:08PM
I have downloaded ON1 for El Cap and figure I can process the CR2s in that and then open in CS6 to make a path and finish the image. Perhaps I can stop paying $120 a year if I don't need it. I was testing a CR2 in ON1 and even tho it was processing a 74mb file in 16 bit, it was moving pretty darn quick!

I know, I know, eventually I'll have to make big changes...

Doc, it was a lot of what you suggested that got me this far, as well as help from others. But I looked up opening my iMac (late '12, 21.5", 2.9 GHz i5, 16gb) to replace the HD and I don't know if I'm up for it.

So, for now, running off the external HD is doing the trick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 265
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018