advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
educating Rita?!....University pays back $190K federal grant that professor used for strip clubs......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 08, 2019 07:10PM
.....and other personal purchases......wow....that is a lot to spend on....

Drexel to pay back $190,000 former professor used for strip clubs, other personal purchases over 10 years

.....A former Drexel University professor used almost $190,000 in federal grants at gentlemen's clubs and toward other improper purchases, according to a news release Tuesday from the US Attorney's Office in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.

Drexel, in Philadelphia, has agreed to pay the amount to resolve potential false claims liability, according to the US Attorney's Office.

Chikaodinaka D. Nwankpa made improper charges for items such as "personal iTunes purchases and for 'goods and services' provided by Cheerleaders, Club Risque and Tacony Club."

The purchases totaling $189,062 were made between July 2007 and April 2017, prosecutors said.

"This is an example of flagrant and audacious fraud, and a shameful misuse of public funds," US Attorney William McSwain said. "The agencies providing these grant funds expect them to be used towards advancements in energy and naval technology for public benefit, not for personal entertainment."

CNN's calls to Nwankpa, who has not been charged with a crime, were not immediately returned.

The school said the issues were revealed during an internal audit that included its computing and electrical engineering college.

"Drexel takes allegations of unethical or unlawful business conduct on the part of any members of the university community very seriously and remains committed to being in full compliance with all billing regulations and requirements," school officials said.

Nwankpa was placed on administrative leave after an investigation began and then resigned.

He repaid $53,328 to Drexel, according to prosecutors.

The money came from federal research grants.

Drexel said it has added auditing procedures to prevent future misuse of funds.

pour.....some.....sugar......on me......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 07:13PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: educating Rita?!....University pays back $190K federal grant that professor used for strip clubs......
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 08, 2019 07:22PM
He deserves the "MRF Hookers and Booze Award" for Outstanding Dedication to the Debaucherous Arts.
Re: educating Rita?!....University pays back $190K federal grant that professor used for strip clubs......
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 08, 2019 09:06PM
Instead of using grant money, he should have taken bribes from parents of kids with marginal to nonexistent qualifications.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 08, 2019 09:10PM
Racer X
He deserves the "MRF Hookers and Booze Award" for Outstanding Dedication to the Debaucherous Arts.

To the tune of an average of just under $54 a day.

Resist the Thought Police- George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 08, 2019 09:16PM
That IS real dedication if you ask me. Unless it is always top shelf stuff or vintage Scotch pours, a regular $54 bar tab EVERY DAY would be hard to keep up. I won't pay outrageous prices just for the "ambience".

Even several $175 nights at the strip club every week is hard core unless you are some celeb/star with way more money than sense.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 08, 2019 10:07PM
Racer X

agree smiley

Obviously there were NO audits or other effective controls in place.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 08, 2019 11:32PM
Wait a second! Every other Stripper tells me she's a college student! So those funds DID go to education!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: Randalls
Date: October 09, 2019 07:17AM
He probably had a large undergrad posse to support
Posted by: rz
Date: October 09, 2019 08:12AM
Maybe he was doing research?

Drexel is a good Engineering school... one of the first in the country to not only require its students to buy a computer, but to buy Macintosh computers. Had several friends/colleagues who went there. In my first real job after college, an intern from Drexel made such an impression with his Mac SE that the department head ordered Macs for everyone.
Posted by: TLB
Date: October 09, 2019 12:01PM
I've worked as a research manager on both the government side and the university side--I don't know how you get away with something like this for that long a period of time, unless he was having "business meetings" at the club with his sponsors and the auditors.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 09, 2019 01:02PM
Racer X
That IS real dedication if you ask me. Unless it is always top shelf stuff or vintage Scotch pours, a regular $54 bar tab EVERY DAY would be hard to keep up. I won't pay outrageous prices just for the "ambience".

Even several $175 nights at the strip club every week is hard core unless you are some celeb/star with way more money than sense.

It probably wasn't the bar tab, but the lap dances that added up quickly.

One has to wonder why criminal charges haven't be brought up yet.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 09, 2019 01:05PM
......in 'da....club......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 09, 2019 01:29PM
"But all the dancers were students ! I was MENTORING them !"
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 09, 2019 08:29PM
Heh, there used to be a bar near where I grew up called The Office. Off campus "office hours."

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 09, 2019 10:45PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Heh, there used to be a bar near where I grew up called The Office.

That's genius!

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 10, 2019 02:47PM
AllGold
Filliam H. Muffman
Heh, there used to be a bar near where I grew up called The Office.

That's genius!

smileys with beer

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 282
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018