advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
it gets worse?!....new revelation from Ronan Farrow's book reveal Matt Lauer rape....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 09, 2019 08:14AM
......excerpts from Ronan Farrow's book.....reveal that Matt Lauer *nally raped employee [ she said he just 'did it' not even using lubricant, rawdoggin' it, and despite her protests ] at Sochi Olympics while she was drunk at the time.....

.....she continued to see him afterwards......3 years later she confided in Today co-host Meredith Vieira who urged her to report to HR....she did.....

.....she left NBC in 2018 [ allegedly because people found out it was her ] with a seven figure payout.....

Former NBC staffer accuses Matt Lauer of rape in Ronan Farrow's new book

.....When NBC News fired Matt Lauer two years ago, the network said an employee accused him of "inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace."

Now that employee, Brooke Nevils, is speaking publicly for the first time. And Nevils is saying that Lauer raped her. The disturbing account is detailed in "Catch & Kill," a book by Ronan Farrow that comes out next Tuesday.

Representatives for Lauer have not yet responded to CNN's requests for comment about the allegations.

Variety magazine published excerpts from Farrow's book, including quotes from Nevils, on Tuesday evening.

NBC News responded by saying, in a statement, "Matt Lauer's conduct was appalling, horrific and reprehensible, as we said at the time. That's why he was fired within 24 hours of us first learning of the complaint. Our hearts break again for our colleague."

Lauer's former show, the "Today" show, covered the new reporting from Variety on Wednesday morning.

"This is shocking. And appalling. and I honestly don't even know what to say about it," Savannah Guthrie said on the air.

These "are not allegations of an affair, they're allegations of a crime," Hoda Kotb said.

"We're disturbed to our core," Guthrie added.

.@savannahguthrie and @hodakotb respond to new allegations about Matt Lauer pic.twitter.com/HsngSZd1NA
— TODAY (@TODAYshow) October 9, 2019

Nevils told Farrow in an interview that the rape occurred while she was in Sochi, Russia, covering the 2014 Winter Olympics.

She says it happened after a night of drinking with Lauer and others at a hotel bar. Nevils said she had six shots of vodka. Lauer invited her up to his room but, according to Farrow, Nevils said she "had no reason to suspect Lauer would be anything but friendly based on prior experience."

Nevils told Farrow that once in the room, Lauer forced himself onto her and raped her.

"It was nonconsensual in the sense that I was too drunk to consent," Nevils said. "It was nonconsensual in that I said, multiple times, that I didn't want to have an*l sex."

Nevils also told Farrow that she and Lauer later had sexual encounters that were consensual. "It was completely transactional. It was not a relationship," she said.

Nevils did not immediately report the alleged attack to NBCUniversal executives. She told Farrow that she confided in former "Today" host Meredith Vieira three years later, and Vieira urged her to get a lawyer and speak with NBC human resources.

Nevils did, and her attorney said that NBC took swift action at that point.

"My client and I met with representatives from NBC's Human Resources and Legal Department at 6pm on Monday," Nevils' attorney Ari Wilkenfeld said at the time. "Over the course of several hours, my client detailed egregious acts of sexual harassment and misconduct by Mr. Lauer. In fewer than than 35 hours, NBC investigated and removed Mr. Lauer. Our impression at this point is that NBC acted quickly and responsibly, as all companies should when confronted with credible allegations about sexual misconduct in the workplace."

After he was terminated, Lauer said in a statement, "There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions. To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry." He said that "some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed. I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly."

After the news of his firing broke, multiple news outlets published stories with other allegations of harassment by Lauer.

But no allegation of rape had emerged until now.

Nevils has not responded to a request for further comment from CNN.

Her account is sure to prompt new questions about whether she felt protected by NBC. Farrow reports that she left the network in 2018 with a payout in the "seven figures."

NBC News chairman Andy Lack said in a statement on Wednesday morning, "Our highest priority is to ensure we have a workplace environment where everyone feels safe and protected. We are absolutely committed to making this a reality - there can be no exception."

it just gets.......worse......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 08:32AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: it gets worse?!....new revelation from Ronan Farrow's book reveal Matt Lauer rape....
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 09, 2019 08:26AM
I can't say I'm surprised. He sounds very much the predator.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Re: it gets worse?!....new revelation from Ronan Farrow's book reveal Matt Lauer rape....
Posted by: PeterW
Date: October 09, 2019 08:32AM
“But you might feel better if they gave you some cash”
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: October 09, 2019 08:46AM
Matt Lauer should be in jail..it's strangely easy to veer towards making jokes about these celebrities and their phony worlds, big payouts by these companies, all the crap that goes on in the name of keeping names 'clean', it's all so disgusting, these people that assume license like this should go to jail..more so because of the privilege they assume and that the public actually gives them via worship and awe.

As for the victim...i can only wonder why the @#$%& she didnt turn around smack the piss out of this chump- scratch his face to shreds..it's Matt Lauer... @#$%& that guy.

..I never liked that @#$%&, even before any of this ever came out...early days..he struck me as being completely full of @#$%&, a total puke trigger.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 08:56AM by Kraniac.
Date: October 09, 2019 08:51AM
.....it looks like NBC hid it.....until she got a lawyer....

....Farrow reported that Nevils told “colleagues and superiors at NBC,” but nothing happened until the Harvey Weinstein case spurred a MeToo movement. It was in that aftermath that Viera urged her to get a lawyer and go to NBC Universal human resources. Farrow’s book claims that NBC News President Noah Oppenheim and Andrew Lack, the chairman of NBC News and MSNBC, emphasized that the incident had not been “criminal” or an “assault.” Nevils claimed their comments caused her to throw up......

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: October 09, 2019 09:31AM
Good for Ronan Farrow for staying after this story all these years. This onion's got a lot of layers and none of them are good.

It was September 2017, and Harvey Weinstein was huddled at a corner table at New York's Loews Regency hotel alongside Dylan Howard, chief content officer of National Enquirer publisher American Media Inc. Weinstein had become increasingly alarmed about a story that Ronan Farrow — then a correspondent for NBC News and most famous for being the son of Mia Farrow and Woody Allen — was vigorously pursuing about the powerful producer's long-rumored sexual predations. Weinstein had worked to suppress variations of that story for decades, and he was desperate for it to stay secret. But Farrow (along with a team at The New York Times) was closing in. Weinstein wanted to bully NBC News into killing the story. He needed leverage.

Howard pulled out several thick manila envelopes and laid out their contents on the table. The men huddled for hours, strategizing quietly. Weinstein had found a pressure point: Matt Lauer.

"Weinstein made it known to the network that he was aware of Lauer's behavior and capable of revealing it," Farrow writes in his long-awaited new book, Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators (Little, Brown and Company, Oct. 15).

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]
Date: October 09, 2019 10:14AM
.....he is issuing denial....saying it was a mutual relationship....his words are....they had 'or*l, v*gin*l and *nal sex' but it was consensual......it says it was a long time 'affair'......

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 10:45AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: JPK
Date: October 09, 2019 10:43AM
I think you meant to say "or*l"

John P. Kelly
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 09, 2019 11:07AM
Nothing more...in a legal sense...is going to happen to Lauer.

He'll just have to console himself with his remaining $60 million (that's after his divorce settlement)
Date: October 09, 2019 11:40AM
Bill in NC

He'll just have to console himself with his remaining $60 million (that's after his divorce settlement)

That's what Harvey Weinstein (who has a lot more money) thought. He's out of on bail awaiting a January criminal trial on five sex crimes, one dates back to 2006.
Date: October 09, 2019 12:16PM
Lemon Drop
Bill in NC

That's what Harvey Weinstein (who has a lot more money) thought. He's out of on bail awaiting a January criminal trial on five sex crimes, one dates back to 2006.

Did any of Weinstein's accusers admit to multiple consensual encounters, even if only quid pro quo as Nevils alleges?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 12:17PM by Bill in NC.
Date: October 09, 2019 12:30PM
Bill in NC
Lemon Drop
Bill in NC

Did any of Weinstein's accusers admit to multiple consensual encounters, even if only quid pro quo as Nevils alleges?

The existence of consensual encounters doesn't mean rape could not have happened in a separate encounter.
Posted by: August West
Date: October 09, 2019 12:31PM
Bill in NC
Lemon Drop
Bill in NC

I'm a little unclear on your question, Bill. Are you implying that if a woman has had consensual sex with an individual, the individual cannot commit an act of rape against the woman in the future? That the woman's "No" actually forever more becomes "Yes?"

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 09, 2019 01:06PM
The story said they resumed or initiated a consensual relationship after the rape. It also mention her describing her encounters with him as purely "transactional".
Date: October 09, 2019 01:16PM
RgrF
The story said they resumed or initiated a consensual relationship after the rape. It also mention her describing her encounters with him as purely "transactional".

Okay. I think the question is, "so what?" It has no bearing on her having been raped.

rj
AKA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 01:17PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 09, 2019 01:18PM
.....it looks like NBC hid it.....until she got a lawyer....

ahhh NBC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Comcast Corporation!
The more you know - NBC slogan terrified smiley

Of course they hid it, all big media companies hide information they do not want
the public to know about. Financial deals, employee backgrounds, political ties,
paid 'consultants', off-shore operations, etc.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: rz
Date: October 09, 2019 02:00PM
August West
Are you implying that if a woman has had consensual sex with an individual, the individual cannot commit an act of rape against the woman in the future?

But the problem is, it happened the other way around. I am not saying I doubt her account of what happened. What has me puzzled is why, after having been allegedly been raped by Lauer, did she enter a consensual relationship with him? To me, that defies logic.
Date: October 09, 2019 02:04PM
.....indeed....probably low self-esteem.....

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 09, 2019 03:00PM
rz
August West
Are you implying that if a woman has had consensual sex with an individual, the individual cannot commit an act of rape against the woman in the future?

But the problem is, it happened the other way around. I am not saying I doubt her account of what happened. What has me puzzled is why, after having been allegedly been raped by Lauer, did she enter a consensual relationship with him? To me, that defies logic.

Exactly.

NewtonMP2100

Or was she using Lauer to advance her career?

I am in no way defending Lauer or his behavior. I just don't understand how someone who has been victimized continues to have a relationship with their attacker.
Date: October 09, 2019 03:03PM
.....in general, for most abuse victims....it is low self-esteem....who knows in this case.....she eventually left NBC in 2018 with a seven figure payout so could money be her motivation....???

....Lauer says it is but we will never really know.....

Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 09, 2019 03:14PM
macphanatic
rz
August West

Exactly.

NewtonMP2100

Or was she using Lauer to advance her career?

I am in no way defending Lauer or his behavior. I just don't understand how someone who has been victimized continues to have a relationship with their attacker.

Basically you are asking the same question that is asked about women in abusive relationships, the answer is for many varied reasons. Many of those reasons are related to the continuing power imbalance dynamic between men and women.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 09, 2019 05:07PM
she eventually left NBC in 2018 with a seven figure payout so could money be her motivation....???

just curious, you people say 7 figure payout, is it closer to 1,000,000 or 9,999,999?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 09, 2019 05:46PM
space-time
she eventually left NBC in 2018 with a seven figure payout so could money be her motivation....???

just curious, you people say 7 figure payout, is it closer to 1,000,000 or 9,999,999?

Could be anywhere within that range. I'm sure no one here is privy to the actual amount.

It is what it is.
Date: October 09, 2019 07:05PM
August West
Bill in NC
Lemon Drop
Bill in NC

I'm a little unclear on your question, Bill. Are you implying that if a woman has had consensual sex with an individual, the individual cannot commit an act of rape against the woman in the future? That the woman's "No" actually forever more becomes "Yes?"

Just pointing out an allegation of one non-consensual encounter in an otherwise consensual relationship won't be sufficient to interest a prosecutor, setting aside the jurisdictional issues involved.

Lauer will continue to successfully represent himself as just another @#$%& running a casting couch, all the while "bemoaning" the impact of his behavior on his family, i.e. "I'm so very, very sorry...that I got caught."

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 07:10PM by Bill in NC.
Date: October 10, 2019 08:56AM
Bill in NC
Just pointing out an allegation of one non-consensual encounter in an otherwise consensual relationship won't be sufficient to interest a prosecutor, setting aside the jurisdictional issues involved.

Lauer will continue to successfully represent himself as just another @#$%& running a casting couch, all the while "bemoaning" the impact of his behavior on his family, i.e. "I'm so very, very sorry...that I got caught."

I think Matt Lauer is going to survive criminal investigation, but it has more to do with the time passed since the assault and a lack of forensic evidence than their relationship, which is legally immaterial (if politically relevant) to a decision to indict.

To reiterate that she can't be a viable victim because she had consensual sex with him elsewhen is harmful, stigmatizing, and reinforces damaging stereotypes about sex and gender (slut shaming/victim blaming).

rj
AKA

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2019 09:00AM by rjmacs.
Date: October 10, 2019 10:39AM
rjmacs
Bill in NC

I think Matt Lauer is going to survive criminal investigation, but it has more to do with the time passed since the assault and a lack of forensic evidence than their relationship, which is legally immaterial (if politically relevant) to a decision to indict.

To reiterate that she can't be a viable victim because she had consensual sex with him elsewhen is harmful, stigmatizing, and reinforces damaging stereotypes about sex and gender (slut shaming/victim blaming).

I haven't heard anything about this victim trying to press criminal charges, but I think the main issue is that the incident took place in Russia. Lauer knew what he was doing. Russia does not take violence against women all that seriously and even if they did, there is no extradition between the countries. There was no chance that he'd get in trouble for this by committing this violence against a woman in Russia.

Had this been in the US I think she'd have little trouble getting a prosecutor to charge Lauer. There are no statutes of limitations on first degree sex crimes in New York and for second degree it was just increased to 20 years. You don't have to have physical evidence for a rape charge. Criminal laws do not outline minimum requirements for evidence.
Date: October 10, 2019 12:19PM
Lemon Drop
rjmacs
Bill in NC

I haven't heard anything about this victim trying to press criminal charges, but I think the main issue is that the incident took place in Russia. Lauer knew what he was doing. Russia does not take violence against women all that seriously and even if they did, there is no extradition between the countries. There was no chance that he'd get in trouble for this by committing this violence against a woman in Russia.

Had this been in the US I think she'd have little trouble getting a prosecutor to charge Lauer. There are no statutes of limitations on first degree sex crimes in New York and for second degree it was just increased to 20 years. You don't have to have physical evidence for a rape charge. Criminal laws do not outline minimum requirements for evidence.

Not 5+ years later, after admitting later encounters were consensual, and the amount of alcohol involved, which would raise questions about the reliability of her recollection, even within the DA's office.

The latter would want to see multiple victims come forth as with Cosby or Weinstein to pursue such a "he said/she said" case. Time will tell...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2019 12:21PM by Bill in NC.
Date: October 10, 2019 12:27PM
Lemon Drop
rjmacs
Bill in NC

Quite true, LD.

There are no minimum requirements (or any requirements) for physical evidence in a sexual assault case, and no victim should ever fail to report an attack because physical evidence is lacking.

An unpleasant truth of our criminal legal system is that prosecutors often fail to pursue cases aggressively, if the evidence (physical, circumstantial, etc.) makes the case more challenging. We shouldn't accept this, but it is empirically true.

rj
AKA
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 10, 2019 12:39PM
I'm pretty sure if I raped some woman in Russia that wouldn't go well for me if she told the police.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: October 10, 2019 05:16PM
vision63
I'm pretty sure if I raped some woman in Russia that wouldn't go well for me if she told the police.

I’m sure you might not.

However if you were a world famous, multimillionaire, highly respected news personality and the allegation included statements about intoxication, willingly going to the accused’s room, twice, and the woman telling the accused ‘yes’ she liked it, that might shift the odds a teensy bit in your favor.

Maybe even two teensies.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: October 10, 2019 05:34PM
An excerpt from a Variety article that touches on some points raised in the thread so far.

” Back in New York City, Nevils had more sexual encounters with Lauer. “Sources close to Lauer emphasized that she sometimes initiated contact,” Farrow writes. “What is not in dispute is that Nevils, like several of the women I’d spoken to, had further sexual encounters with the man she said assaulted her. ‘This is what I blame myself most for,’” she says to Farrow. “It was completely transactional. It was not a relationship.”

She was terrified about the control Lauer had over her career. After her encounters with Lauer ended, Nevils said she told “like a million people” about her situation with Lauer.

“She told colleagues and superiors at NBC,” Farrow writes. She moved to NBC’s Peacock Productions to be a producer, “and reported it to one of her new bosses there.”

“This was no secret,” Farrow writes.”

Nothing happened until fall 2017, when the post-Harvey Weinstein reckoning led former “Today” colleagues to ask her about Lauer. Nevils told Farrow she then went to Vieira and told her what had happened. A distraught Vieira, according to the book, urged Nevils to go to NBC Universal human resources with a lawyer, which she did. After Lauer’s firing, she learned that Noah Oppenheim, the president of NBC News, and Andrew Lack, the chairman of NBC News and MSNBC, “were emphasizing that the incident hadn’t been ‘criminal’ or an ‘assault’” — which she claims caused her to throw up, Farrow writes...”.”

”... And though Nevils had been promised anonymity by human resources, Lack saying internally that the encounter had happened at Sochi limited the possibilities of complainants — and soon, everyone knew it was Nevils. Though Nevils had not wanted money, she went on medical leave in 2018, and was eventually paid, Farrow writes, “seven figures.”

“The network proposed a script she would have to read, suggesting that she had left to pursue other endeavors, that she was treated well, and that NBC News was a positive example of sexual harassment,” Farrow writes.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 10, 2019 05:51PM
Blankity Blank
Maybe even two teensies.

But... two teensies don't make a weensie.

It is what it is.
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 10, 2019 08:12PM
Blankity Blank
vision63

I’m sure you might not.

However if you were a world famous, multimillionaire, highly respected news personality and the allegation included statements about intoxication, willingly going to the accused’s room, twice, and the woman telling the accused ‘yes’ she liked it, that might shift the odds a teensy bit in your favor.

Maybe even two teensies.

I'm sure if Will Smith raped a Russian woman and she told the police, that wouldn't work out well for him no matter what the circumstances.

I don't hate anyone, but Matt Lauer is close to Trump level dislike for me. So even if he were innocent, he needs to suffer something.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018