advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Speaking of ransomware: Baltimore IT Director Fired
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: October 09, 2019 05:47PM
Remember the ransomware on Baltimore's IT system back in May?
The mayor said no to a $76K ransom, so far the cost of the attack has been
estimated at $18 million.

With the second highest city salary ($250K/yr), on 9/9 Frank Johnson, the director
went on leave. He previously had been a senior sales executive with Intel.
The FBI & other cyber sleuths discovered that he had ignored several warnings from
Microsoft & others to apply security patches to the outdated software and replace
obsolete hardware and storage devices.

On Monday, the city's mayor fired Mr. Johnson. No mention of his compensation.
Baltimore Sun (open in private browsing)

Makes one wonder how many of these highly paid "experts" are actually up to the job?

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
...word salad is not a disorder, it is a symptom...

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Speaking of ransomware: Baltimore IT Director Fired
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 09, 2019 06:15PM
MrNoBody
Makes one wonder how many of these highly paid "experts" are actually up to the job?

You would be shocked to know the actual answer to that question.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 09, 2019 06:45PM
good.

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 09, 2019 06:58PM
reminds me of the observations in this story:

[www.forbes.com]
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 09, 2019 07:11PM
When I was doing IT for a former employer, I always tried to mix up software versions, OS versions, and even the OS where I could. It made management a little harder, but not too bad. I viewed security as an onion. If someone wants to get in, they'll be able to, but they'll cry the whole time.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 09, 2019 08:22PM
My only question would be did the city give him the budget and maintenance windows for downtime to perform those tasks that he did not do? Did they provide adequite labor, funding, and equipment for proper testing before rolling out updates? Did they provide patch management frameworks? DId they instruct him to have no downtime or not perform those updates?

Lots of business owners or Managers don't give a crap about IT and won't fund or give the time for running updates and proper testing. Then stuff like this happens and they are surprised.

Firing the IT Director is the easy PR move. Will wait and see if he files a wrongful termination suit or not.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 08:23PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 09, 2019 09:13PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 09:17PM by $tevie.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 09, 2019 09:17PM
C(-)ris
My only question would be did the city give him the budget and maintenance windows for downtime to perform those tasks that he did not do?
"Forget it, Jake. It's Baltimore."

Baltimore IT department uses ‘mind-boggling,' outdated data storage method, audit finds

A new audit of Baltimore’s information technology department says the agency lost key data during May’s ransomware attack because some in the agency used an outdated method for storing files: the hard drives on their individual computers.
Hearing that, City Councilman Eric T. Costello, a former government IT auditor himself, stopped the hearing.

“That can’t be right? That’s real?” Costello asked.

“One of the things I’ve learned in my short time here is a great number of Baltimore City employees store entity information on their local computers. And that’s it,” Pasch replied.

“Wow. That’s mind-boggling to me,” Costello said. “They’re the agency that should be tasked with educating people that that’s a problem.”

In a written response to the audit, Baltimore’s IT director, Frank Johnson, who is on leave from the agency, wrote that he agreed with audit’s findings and would work to improve the department’s data storage practices.
[www.baltimoresun.com]

Posted by: Don C
Date: October 09, 2019 09:45PM
Back in my working days a decade ago, I kept a LOT of district data on my hard drive. Even had a HD failure with some but insufficient backup (ZIP drives) requiring the services of a rescue service.

One of the many signs that it was time to retire was the need to move my data to a less obscure location. I was able to move critical data to a shared folder which just became available and had a meeting of colleagues which I called, "The secrets of Don" at which I showed them how I structured the folders with all that data.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 286
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018