advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sometimes you need to explain things to me like I'm a 2 year old: display resolutions
Posted by: Jerry®
Date: October 09, 2019 08:46PM
So my AOC 27 in monitor is outputting 2560x1440 but it still looks like things are way too SMALL. I guess I'm comparing it to my old iMac 27 in 2009 glossy 16:9 LED-backlit TFT Active Matrix LCD (2560x1440 native) display with IPS. It could be that I'm still getting used to this resolutions coming from the 24 in 1920x1080 Samsung curved display. But I'm not sure?

I've been playing with SwitchResX but something just feels off - i wish i could explain it better than that. I always have to zoom in on webpages and Photoshop, etc. Here's a screenshot of SwitchResX from my desktop:

As it shows i am running 2560x1440 at 60Hz.

thanks!
Jerry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 08:46PM by Jerry®.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sometimes you need to explain things to me like I'm a 2 year old: display resolutions
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 09, 2019 08:58PM
Apple scales their icons and text to appear larger on smaller screens. Just setting the resolution high makes everything look small.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Re: Sometimes you need to explain things to me like I'm a 2 year old: display resolutions
Date: October 09, 2019 09:03PM
C(-)ris
Apple scales their icons and text to appear larger on smaller screens. Just setting the resolution high makes everything look small.

ok i get that but like i said in comparison to my old 2009 iMac's 27 in (running at 2560x1440) this new 27 in display that i have now makes everything looks much smaller than 2560x1440. I'm being nitpicky just FYI.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 09, 2019 09:03PM
I think you want to make sure your monitor is being recognized at its full resolution and then you can scale everything from the displays system pref.

Date: October 09, 2019 09:06PM
mattkime
I think you want to make sure your monitor is being recognized at its full resolution and then you can scale everything from the displays system pref.

He can't because the monitor is a 4K and his machine can't drive that resolution.

C(-)ris
Date: October 09, 2019 09:08PM
Jerry®
C(-)ris

ok i get that but like i said in comparison to my old 2009 iMac's 27 in (running at 2560x1440) this new 27 in display that i have now makes everything looks much smaller than 2560x1440. I'm being nitpicky just FYI.

It is the scaling that does exactly that. Resolution is the same on both monitors, but on the built in monitor Apple has the icons and text set to be bigger on their display vs if you plug in a different one. You can change the scaling in the Display Preferences.

C(-)ris
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: October 09, 2019 09:32PM
You can scale up the icons on your Desktop in the Finder's View options and in the Dock from the System Preferences.

Date: October 09, 2019 09:43PM
Sarcany
You can scale up the icons on your Desktop in the Finder's View options and in the Dock from the System Preferences.

I did that - can i make Safari and Chrome open up with a zoomed in font sizes?

Posted by: space-time
Date: October 09, 2019 09:48PM
You are more like a one year old.
Date: October 09, 2019 09:54PM
space-time
You are more like a one year old.

hey you were warned.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 09, 2019 10:09PM
Try it at 1920x1080 and decide which you like better

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 09, 2019 11:41PM
You can use the A|A is Safari to make content larger.

Or you can use Cmd and + but you have to do this or the above each time you open the apps.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: October 09, 2019 11:51PM
RAMd®d
You can use the A|A is Safari to make content larger.

Or you can use Cmd and + but you have to do this or the above each time you open the apps.

ok thanks I appreciate it!

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 10, 2019 08:54AM
Jerry®
Sarcany

You can change the default "actual size" zoom level using a css sheet in Safari.

Chroms is spyware from Google, so I can't help you there.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: rz
Date: October 10, 2019 01:07PM
Sarcany

Problem I have with that is that I can scale the text in Finder windows using the View options, but if I open up a folder I've never opened before, it defaults back to 12pt. Any way to force Finder to have the default text size be bigger in EVERY folder I open?
Date: October 10, 2019 01:46PM
rz
Sarcany

Problem I have with that is that I can scale the text in Finder windows using the View options, but if I open up a folder I've never opened before, it defaults back to 12pt. Any way to force Finder to have the default text size be bigger in EVERY folder I open?

This!

Date: October 10, 2019 02:52PM
rjmacs
Jerry®
Sarcany

You can change the default "actual size" zoom level using a css sheet in Safari.

Chroms is spyware from Google, so I can't help you there.

This has helped a bunch! I created a css sheet for Safari!

Date: October 10, 2019 07:15PM
Jerry®
rz
Sarcany

This!

Open the View panel in the Finder while you have a window open and active and set the view options how you'd like them. Then click the button use as defaults.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: October 11, 2019 12:12PM
Sarcany
Jerry®
rz
Sarcany

This!

Open the View panel in the Finder while you have a window open and active and set the view options how you'd like them. Then click the button use as defaults.

I was gonna make that suggestion, but then I remembered that this is a Finder feature I've never found to work reliably. Others have better luck?

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: October 11, 2019 06:26PM
rjmacs
Sarcany
Jerry®
rz
Sarcany

This!

I was gonna make that suggestion, but then I remembered that this is a Finder feature I've never found to work reliably. Others have better luck?

If you've already opened the folder and changed view settings then it will have an invisible .DS_STORE file in it that overrides the defaults. If you delete the .DS_STORE file then it should revert to the defaults the next time that you open the folder... Except that you may need to reboot or relaunch the Finder before the change is reflected in the Finder due to caching.

...Also, if you're in one of the multi-pane views then you'll see the folder-contents in the view of the first folder you looked at before navigating down through the hierarchy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2019 06:27PM by Sarcany.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 270
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018