advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Source for Checks (i.e. personal banking)
Posted by: gabester
Date: October 16, 2019 06:35AM
What's a good source for personal banking checks these days? Vistaprint?
My bank wants $21 to ship 200 "Free" checks through their partner. It might be worth the obsecurity if the bank processed the transaction in house, as only they already are the only source of a data breach that could impact my bank account (well besides those places where I actually write checks, and whereever those checks are deposited and processed). But since my bank outsources it, that's a 2nd company whose data practices no doubt will eventually result in my account information (bank routing number and checking account and name and address) being compromised.

Who have you guys been using to print your personal checks on the occasions you need a refill (it's been 3 years here.)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Source for Checks (i.e. personal banking)
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: October 16, 2019 06:39AM
Have you tried ordermychecks.com? I think they have arrangements with many banks so the pricing may vary depending on who you bank with. But the last time I ordered from them I think it was very inexpensive, may have even been free as I recall.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 16, 2019 06:39AM
....there are the ones that are in those weekly coupons.....years and years ago, I've used 'checks in the mail' and 'checks unlimited'....??

from previous post:

[www.checksinthemail.com]
[www.checksunlimited.com]
[www.carouselchecks.com]

....some banks offer free replacement checks.....USAA has no minimum and will print checks [ at least last time I checked ] for free....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2019 06:47AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 16, 2019 06:45AM
On the rare occasion I've needed them, I've used Walmart Checks (link).

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: BernDog
Date: October 16, 2019 07:33AM
Zoidberg
On the rare occasion I've needed them, I've used Walmart Checks (link).

I currently have an account that offers competitively-priced checks, so I just do it through them, but in the past, Walmart worked very well for me and were the cheapest I found at the time (I assume they still are).
Posted by: rz
Date: October 16, 2019 08:21AM
NewtonMP2100
....there are the ones that are in those weekly coupons.....years and years ago, I've used 'checks in the mail' and 'checks unlimited'....??

....some banks offer free replacement checks.....USAA has no minimum and will print checks [ at least last time I checked ] for free....

The ones in the weekly coupons are cheap... the first time you use them. When you go to re-order, the price jumps dramatically. Even if it's been like 10 years since you ordered from them.

One of my banks has free checks. The other has a "special" offer... which costs more than the high prices at Checks in the Mail.

I just ordered some checks, but can't remember the name of the vendor. Found the name here, so do an advanced search and you should find it. I'm switching over to paying bills online, so I'm hoping this batch of checks will last several years.
Posted by: clay
Date: October 16, 2019 08:25AM
I found these to be the cheapest when I last checked: [www.promisechecks.com]

But there are dozens of similar operations out there that will do just as well...
Posted by: raz
Date: October 16, 2019 08:27AM
The last time I ordered checks, I got about 4 boxes. I think I still have 2 or 3 after ten years. I might write 1-2 checks a month to contractors, etc. Everything else is electronic.

Why worry about a buck or two over ten years?

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: October 16, 2019 08:46AM
rz
NewtonMP2100

The ones in the weekly coupons are cheap... the first time you use them. When you go to re-order, the price jumps dramatically. Even if it's been like 10 years since you ordered from them.

One of my banks has free checks. The other has a "special" offer... which costs more than the high prices at Checks in the Mail.

I just ordered some checks, but can't remember the name of the vendor. Found the name here, so do an advanced search and you should find it. I'm switching over to paying bills online, so I'm hoping this batch of checks will last several years.

....not sure if it still works but would use one.....then the other.........there were at least 3 of them.......but haven't ordered checks in many year since transitioning to billpay......and using credit card to pay for bills that accept it......

Posted by: rz
Date: October 16, 2019 09:23AM
NewtonMP2100

....not sure if it still works but would use one.....then the other.........there were at least 3 of them.......but haven't ordered checks in many year since transitioning to billpay......and using credit card to pay for bills that accept it......

They're all owned by the same company now. Even their websites look identical.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 16, 2019 09:30AM
I used Walmart last time. I've used several cheap check houses over the years, whatever has the best deal.

TIP: Look for "discontinued" checks to save a few bucks. You might end up with an Outhouses of Alabama theme, but who cares?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 16, 2019 10:01AM
raz
The last time I ordered checks, I got about 4 boxes. I think I still have 2 or 3 after ten years. I might write 1-2 checks a month to contractors, etc. Everything else is electronic.

Why worry about a buck or two over ten years?

I am down to my last few checks from about 15 years ago. No joke. In fact, my address is very wrong on the checks, but I just scribble it out. It's about time I get some new checks. That's what happens when you get like 250 checks, I guess, and hardly use them.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 16, 2019 10:50AM
I just use a "virtual check" on those rare occasions when I need to "write" a check.
Date: October 16, 2019 10:53AM
.....to reiterate.....USAA has no minimum checking account with free check printing.......

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 16, 2019 10:53AM
I get checks perhaps once every 15 years. The last time I just used Sam's club checks. Still on my first pad.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: October 16, 2019 04:41PM
clay
I found these to be the cheapest when I last checked: [www.promisechecks.com]

But there are dozens of similar operations out there that will do just as well...

I used Promise Checks last time I ordered. I write maybe ONE check every month or two. Almost time to re-up myself.

Many are religious themed but they will sell to a heathen like me or anybody i guess.

Need to see what they offer.....

EDIT: $3.95 for 60 BASIC checks - can't remember what shipping charge is - cheaper than Walmart linked above...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2019 04:45PM by ArtP.
Date: October 16, 2019 04:42PM
.....you have to wear a promise ring......to buy from them [ virgins only ].......

Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: October 16, 2019 05:01PM
The idea that you have to buy your cheques (checks) seems weird.

Paul

Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 16, 2019 06:24PM
voodoopenguin
The idea that you have to buy your cheques (checks) seems weird.

Paul

Yeah, the charge used to be relatively small, but has grown over the years. Part of the reasons involve politics, bank lobbying, and a change in the US to many banks basing a chunk of their income off of charging fees instead of investment income from lending.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: October 16, 2019 07:10PM
I did those first order is cheap coupons in the mail. Ordered 4 boxes, and put all the extras in the gun safe. $20ish for a decade of checks.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 16, 2019 08:20PM
One of my cards is an AmEx debit that acts like a cc when shopping. It has a check feature, go online fill in the particulars and AmEx will send them a check - no fees.

Regular AmEx cc will also but I like to keep check issuing records separate from cc activity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2019 08:22PM by RgrF.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 16, 2019 11:13PM
Walmart and Promise checks are either one in the same or must farm out to the same company as their ordering processes is completely identical and they ask the same odd questions. Promise Checks is a few cents cheaper than Walmart(Who shows a cheaper price but adds a processing fee).

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 17, 2019 09:40AM
My last consideration when ordering checks is the price.

I order 200, the smallest amount and they're under $20, by how much, I don't know.

They last so long, price isn't an issue. The only reason I'd consider not going through my bank is if I found some checks that I really like, and it's been years since that's happened.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: JPK
Date: October 17, 2019 09:40AM
I use Checkbuilder Pro and buy blank check stock and print them myself and for my business. Has worked GREAT.

John P. Kelly
Date: October 17, 2019 09:49AM
....remember to....check yourself......before you wreck yourself......

Posted by: wave rider
Date: October 17, 2019 12:52PM
What do you know? Costco offers checks too. No idea on their pricing.

[www.costco.com]

I bought checks 20 or so years ago, still using that batch. I will want the same checks because they have…

Flying Pigs on them!

=wr=
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 17, 2019 01:47PM
My understanding is that you can write a check on a square of (clean) toilet paper, and it's perfectly legal, although the banks don't like this because it doesn't have magnetic coding like a commercially printed check does.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 128
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018