advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
like it never ever happened?!.....Yahoo deleting all content on Yahoo groups / shutting down.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 17, 2019 08:03PM
.....ever posted.....on Dec. 14th....

Yahoo is deleting all content ever posted to Yahoo Groups
You have until December 14 to download files before they're permanently removed.

.....Yahoo Groups is shutting down after more than 18 years, and the Verizon-owned company is deleting all content from the site in mid-December.

"Yahoo has made the decision to no longer allow users to upload content to the Yahoo Groups site," the company said in a notice to users. "Beginning October 28, you won't be able to upload any more content to the site, and as of December 14 all previously posted content on the site will be permanently removed. You'll have until that date to save anything you've uploaded."

The notice links to one Yahoo webpage that provides instructions for downloading photos and files from groups that you belong to before the cutoff date, but the process sounds laborious, as it requires clicking on each photo or file you want to download. The shutdown notice also links to a page that provides instructions for requesting a download of all your Yahoo data. This page notes that "It can take up to 30 days for the request to finish processing and the download to become available."

Although the Yahoo Groups site will continue to exist after December 14, "all public groups will be made private or restricted," Yahoo said. Users will continue to "be able to communicate with your groups via email and search for private groups on the site," and admins will retain "limited access to group settings and administration tools," but that's it.

All of the following features are going away, Yahoo said:........

gone.....for good.....?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2019 08:10PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: like it never ever happened?!.....Yahoo deleting all content on Yahoo groups / shutting down.....
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 18, 2019 06:48AM
A good first step? dunno smiley
Re: like it never ever happened?!.....Yahoo deleting all content on Yahoo groups / shutting down.....
Posted by: vicrock
Date: October 18, 2019 07:39AM
Most of the groups I'm in are transitioning to [groups.io] - free to set up - they have a nifty auto transfer, but that requires "premium" $110 one time payment
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 18, 2019 09:05AM
Man, there is going to much so much lost information. Sure, a lot of it probably worthless from a practical standpoint, but who's to say what is important? I am part of a now mostly dead group dedicated to the Toyota Cressida that is an absolute gold mine of historical and technical information, mostly from one guy named Jim Hopkins who used to work for Toyota and spent many long nights typing up everything he knew about it and sharing it with the Yahoo Group. I had already saved most of his posts, but I fear there are countless other technical records that will be lost forever.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: October 18, 2019 10:05AM
vicrock
Most of the groups I'm in are transitioning to [groups.io] - free to set up - they have a nifty auto transfer, but that requires "premium" $110 one time payment

My many groups are doing the same. As far as I know the free option will transfer all conversations but the paid option will do files and photos as well. I am busy d/l a load of files and photos in preparation of u/l to the new sites.

Paul

Posted by: hal
Date: October 18, 2019 12:43PM
The only group I ever joined was a group of victims of a famous ebay scammer (shadowsb) that we often talked about on dealmac. I was researching fraud on ebay and thought I'd follow the group as they watched the scammer get convicted and ordered to pay restitution. Only a few got a few $ back.

I know it's harsh to say, but this was the biggest group of idiots imaginable. Many of them told the story of being strung along by the scammer WAY farther than anyone should be taken.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 18, 2019 02:31PM
OK so what can be done if I am not an owner/admin or moderator of the Yahoo group that I want to save?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: October 18, 2019 07:16PM
Yahoo had groups?

Grateful11
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 19, 2019 10:17AM
It's time to go back to usenet...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 239
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018