advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iOS 13 has one feature I like
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 17, 2019 08:13PM
You can adjust the type size on Safari. It really helps on the forum.
I don’t need it much on my phone, but it is great for the iPad mini.
Now I don’t have to use that hack that I installed.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iOS 13 has one feature I like
Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 17, 2019 09:16PM
my favorite feature is the phone setting that sends any number not in your contacts directly to voicemail. it's been much more peaceful telemarketing wise since i flipped the switch.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 17, 2019 09:17PM
I really like it, too.

I haven't seen a comment by s-t about it. I seem to remember him having a complaint about iOS Safari lacking that feature.

If only Costco would incorporate that into their app. It's neigh impossible for me to read the small product descriptions without putting on dedicated reading glasses (I do need a glasses update) and it's no better on an iPad. How do they manage that.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: October 17, 2019 09:47PM
my favorite feature is the phone setting that sends any number not in your contacts directly to voicemail.

I thought about this but for me it will through the baby out with the bathwater.

Is there a visual notification option that you received the call? I can understand not wanting to be disturbed by a Taptic or tone alert from a potential spam call.

Sending it straight to voicemail without any notification means missing calls from those who's number I may not know. This means checking my voicemail for missed calls and possibly not responding in a timely manner.

I already hate routinely checking the Junk folder to retrieve items that shouldn't have been sent there.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: sekker
Date: October 17, 2019 09:51PM
rgG

Nice tip!
Date: October 17, 2019 09:54PM
sekker
rgG

Nice tip!

I like that you can adjust it just a little, or a lot, and not just the freaking huge size that I see people use on their text messages.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: October 17, 2019 10:26PM
RAMd®d
I thought about this but for me it will through the baby out with the bathwater.

Is there a visual notification option that you received the call? I can understand not wanting to be disturbed by a Taptic or tone alert from a potential spam call.

Sending it straight to voicemail without any notification means missing calls from those who's number I may not know. This means checking my voicemail for missed calls and possibly not responding in a timely manner.

I already hate routinely checking the Junk folder to retrieve items that shouldn't have been sent there.

yes. there is a call notification banner alert. at this point in the modern age, i don't answer ANY call from a number i do not recognize. haven't for a couple of years now. if it's a call i need to respond to i can call them back. most of them are telemarketers, especially from medicare providers this time of year, for which i quickly scan the voicemail transcript and immediately delete. saves me so much time.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: datbeme
Date: October 17, 2019 10:35PM
Not sure if everything is due to OS 13, or if some of these things are functions of a more modern phone. I upgraded to an 11 Pro from a 6 (technically a 5s since I downgraded to that for several months after the 6 failed), but some of the little things are suddenly SO much better!

1Password integration is what it always should have been. Previously, it was sandboxed, so I had to do a lot of shuffling and copying and pasting between apps if I needed to log in to an account from scratch. Frankly, it was a bag of hurt.

Now, I can just hit the "Passwords" button, it jumps over to 1Password, logs in instantaneously with Face ID (SOOOOOOO much better than Touch which I was always fond of), and then after maybe one more click to select the proper account heading, it propagates the fields with the login and passord info. Even easier and faster than on the Mac the because of the Face ID thing. Seems like it happens "automagically."

Same with logging into an account on Apple TV. If you use your phone as an input device, you can use the same "Passwords" button to fill the fields on you Apple TV. This eliminates the biggest bag of hurt of them all.

Still diving into the other improvements, but using Siri to play Spotify in the car is a big one. But by far my favorite is using Siri to enter an address in Waze. I know—it always should have been that way. But to me, it's a real boon to be able to say "Siri, ask Waze for directions to "blankety blank" and have it cue everything up. Makes you wonder why we every put up with the old way.
Date: October 18, 2019 01:09AM
at this point in the modern age, i don't answer ANY call from a number i do not recognize.

Right there with you.

I just didn't want to miss a call that would matter.

A banner notification is works.

Thank you, gl.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: DP
Date: October 18, 2019 07:20AM
What am I missing? When on the forum on my S8 and I want to make text bigger, I use the finger pinch/spread thing...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 18, 2019 08:32AM
DP
What am I missing? When on the forum on my S8 and I want to make text bigger, I use the finger pinch/spread thing...

On iOS, zooming doesn't have the text scroll. The new text enlarge function in Safari does.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: October 18, 2019 09:12AM
RAMd

Yes, there is a visual notification on the locked screen that you missed the call. There is no vibration to go with that, as I recall (nor does it ring). The call gets recorded as a "Recent" and the phone icon gets a red badge.

Hope this helps.

RAMd®d
my favorite feature is the phone setting that sends any number not in your contacts directly to voicemail.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 18, 2019 09:40AM
So where is this mythical send to voicemail setting?

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: October 18, 2019 10:43AM
ztirffritz
So where is this mythical send to voicemail setting?

Phone>settings>silence unknown callers (toggle)

Date: October 19, 2019 04:55AM
Hope this helps.

It does, mm.

That works for me!

Thank you!

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 187
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018