advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Problem with OLED tv
Posted by: davemchine
Date: October 23, 2019 06:49PM
I have the LG OLED65B6P and I LOVE the picture quality...but I have a problem. It has developed splotches that show in light colored scenes. Google tells me this happens to some OLED screens. I've gone to the lge.com website and sent a message to support without any response. Then I requested a service call thru their website and again no response. I'm not sure what to do next. Any advice?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Problem with OLED tv
Posted by: Carm
Date: October 23, 2019 06:55PM
How old and is it in warranty period. You might have to pay labor for a tech to come out to evaluate it.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 23, 2019 08:25PM
I see non-uniform lighting and similar artifacts on many LED TVs. I was hoping OLEDs are better, but I do not have one. I am not sure what I will do when my Plasma dies, I will probably have to get used to the inferior image quality of LED or maybe try an OLED and hope for the best.
Date: October 23, 2019 09:58PM
My previous TV was a Panasonic plasma and I can tell you the LG OLED is far superior. From what I have read a small percentage suffer from this splotchy color problem. I have no problem paying for a technician or for the repair I just want to get the problem fixed.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 24, 2019 12:28AM
davemchine
My previous TV was a Panasonic plasma and I can tell you the LG OLED is far superior. From what I have read a small percentage suffer from this splotchy color problem. I have no problem paying for a technician or for the repair I just want to get the problem fixed.

Pretty sure that would entail swapping out the panel. Not sure what that would cost on your 2016 model, but purchasing a new 2019 model (or 2018, if you can still find one) might actually cost less, assuming you wouldn't have the work done under warranty.

It is what it is.
Posted by: 3d
Date: October 24, 2019 08:48AM
Dang. That LG was not a cheapo TV.

866-558-2559
Customer care is available 24/7, 364 days a year, (except December 25)
Simply call to schedule service.
Warranty Information | LG USA Support

It took me exactly 1 minute, 23 seconds to reach a live operator after going through the menus.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: October 24, 2019 08:55AM
My non-OLED Sharp TV got light splotches (only visible in light/white backgrounds) about 3 months after the warranty expired. First really noticed it when I was not in the dark mode of my AppleTV. Gotten worse over the years. Hopefully replacing soon (cost for 4K for 55 - 65 inch TVs is pretty reasonable these days).

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: BernDog
Date: October 24, 2019 09:10AM
space-time
I see non-uniform lighting and similar artifacts on many LED TVs. I was hoping OLEDs are better, but I do not have one. I am not sure what I will do when my Plasma dies, I will probably have to get used to the inferior image quality of LED or maybe try an OLED and hope for the best.

LED TVs are just LCD with an LED backlight, vs older ones that were fluorescent. OLED TVs are more like plasma, where each pixel is lit independently by separate tiny LEDs. Not saying that either technology may not have problems, but one shouldn’t swear you off of the other. Apples and oranges. They’re related in acronym only.
Date: October 24, 2019 10:23AM
3D thanks for the phone number. I’ll call them today. From other posts I’m anticipating an expensive repair.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 24, 2019 11:56AM
BernDog
space-time

LED TVs are just LCD with an LED backlight, vs older ones that were fluorescent. OLED TVs are more like plasma, where each pixel is lit independently by separate tiny LEDs. Not saying that either technology may not have problems, but one shouldn’t swear you off of the other. Apples and oranges. They’re related in acronym only.

And there are two types of "LED" sets. Side lighting, where the LEDs are only on the edges (or just the top/bottom) of the panel, like how a fluorescent backlight would work, and full array LED backlighting, where the LEDs are behind the screen and can be locally dimmed (this is a higher end option).
Posted by: 3d
Date: October 24, 2019 02:12PM
davemchine
3D thanks for the phone number. I’ll call them today. From other posts I’m anticipating an expensive repair.

Do me a favor and please apologize to the young lady who answered the phone and I hung up on this morning while testing the LG number.
Date: October 24, 2019 06:10PM
Well it was quite a process but I'm getting where I want to be.

In the end I was referred to 800-243-0000 where I logged a ticket, uploaded proof of purchase, uploaded a picture of my screen, and now I'm waiting 5-7 days for them to call and schedule a tech to replace the screen.

BTW, here is what it looks like
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 24, 2019 08:15PM
That's actually pretty bad - among the worst I've seen. You may actually have some luck in getting them to replace the panel at no cost to you. Good luck!

It is what it is.
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 24, 2019 09:07PM
sorry, I meant LCD TVs, not LED TVs. but yeah, I know behind the LCD screen there is an LED or in older unit a fluorescent light source.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: October 25, 2019 06:33AM
My parents had a problem wit ha 5 yr old LG TV and speaking to LG it was a known issue, TV not worth repairing due to age. LG offered a new, current replacement for about 1/3rd the selling price of the new TV as a courtesy
Date: October 25, 2019 08:41AM
The spots are not nearly as noticeable while watching regular tv. They only show with a light background. I had read on another forum that youtube hosts a yellow background video perfect for showing the flaw so that's what I used for this picture. Very effective in getting LG to admit there's a problem!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018